eMTB Options For 2024

Seems like the SL should have been priced lower than the levo - you're not getting as much performance. I guess you're paying for technology.
I test rode both, just thought the SL didn't have enough punch when you really needed it. The CF version of either is a bit spendy. [shrug]

So far I'm still very very happy with my TranceE. Everything I could want in a eMTB. I've put some road miles on it now, riding with the wife, with the roading wheelset/tires. Here it needs a bigger chain ring, the cadence is kind of high at the speed limit. But range seems to be more than 50 miles, and I think that is fantastic. Seems to work just like my Explore did, just as comfortable, about the same performance.

Seems like the SL should have been priced lower than the levo - you're not getting as much performance. I guess you're paying for technology.
I test rode both, just thought the SL didn't have enough punch when you really needed it. The CF version of either is a bit spendy. [shrug]

So far I'm still very very happy with my TranceE. Everything I could want in a eMTB. I've put some road miles on it now, riding with the wife, with the roading wheelset/tires. Here it needs a bigger chain ring, the cadence is kind of high at the speed limit. But range seems to be more than 50 miles, and I think that is fantastic. Seems to work just like my Explore did, just as comfortable, about the same performance.

I'm not deterred by the sl price, it's the relatively low spec that worries me . The sl motor will have significant r+d $ owed, it sounds like they put some serious effort into producing a reliable and light motor suitable for a niche market They've proven that market worth chasing , which hopefully will mean a few more bikes chase light over might ( he says holding his breath for the New Orbea to be announced in a few days)

All that carbon costs - Stuart had originally ordered an alloy trance x29 (2) , it was going to be $3400 oz but then wasn't available until next year. The carbon version he got was $6400. That's carbon frame+ wheels, but similar spec on running gear. A lot of $ for a 2 kg weight saving , but these are analogue bike prices which make our ebikes seem cheap!

As for ebike performance - I presume you are talking motor output and battery size? Your trances hit a sweet spot there, but IMHO the 2021 trance is getting a bit too porky for what I want ( mixed group rides with over achieving analogue riders, plus dedicated ebike rides with crazy ex motorbike riders ) . I'm still undecided on this because the new trance opens up the LONG trip option and I'd really like to start doing multi day exploring trips on the easier motorbike tracks - say, 120 km range with about 2000 m elevation , recharge body and bike at overnight accomodation and repeat. I have a group of mates who head out 2/3 x a week with spare batteries on their treks and do those sort of numbers on HARD single line - my body isn't up to that, so I'll need something light with multiple extra small battery packs. Or I can just lose 20 kg and get fitter.....

Camping is just too much fun. We did thousands of adventure miles. 👍

In Colorado...
DSC04149.jpg

DSC04090.jpg

Last edited:
They spelt tyres correctly for the english speaking world ;)
For "some" of the English speaking world. We use both British and American spellings here, which can really confuse some new Canadians.

And I've been working on my Aussie. I just truncate the word and add an O on the end. 😉

Cheers!

I dropped out of latin in high school. OMFG :rolleyes:

The COLOR of my TIRES is BLACK. 🤣

So, you failed to pursue culturally diverse educational opportunities due to sexual preferences towards your deity . As a result, you can only sleep with people with dark skin?

In oztrayliar we just shrug and grunt to say that.

So, you failed to pursue culturally diverse educational opportunities due to sexual preferences towards your deity . As a result, you can only sleep with people with dark skin?

In oztrayliar we just shrug and grunt to say that.

Don't they require latin for a medical degree??? ;)
Doctors write in unobtanium. Err...illegibleanium. LOL

Don't they require latin for a medical degree??? ;)
Doctors write in unobtanium. Err...illegibleanium. LOL

levator labii alequea nasi

( It's the name of a tiny muscle between your nose and mouth that does the sneer gesture. It was also the only muscle we all knew, because a certain lecturer would chant it and finish with " amen" before his meals )

Not everything translates well when written........

Looks like we might make be able to make that RV trip this fall afterall. Travel from LA to a friend's place out in the middle of west-texas - about 1300 miles. I've heard it's desolate out there. He's about 200 miles west of Houston.
So, across California to AZ, stop in Phoenix area and visit aging mother, maybe catch a trail or two on the eMTB. I hear they LOVE ebikes and the trails are great. Maybe my BIL will show me around, they're near South Mountain wild preserve, and he's been an avid mountain biker from WAY back. I don't think he even knows I've taken it up. All those motorbikes for all those years.

Then on to New Mexico. If we get the 2 weeks I want, we'll have a leisure travel schedule, and can stop a lot along the way. NM is one of the few states I've never been to, lots of mountain bike trails. Taos, Las Cruces, Albuquerque.
Then on to Texas.

Our friend finally sold his handsome home here, nothing big or fancy, but worth a LOT of $$ just cuz it was in so-Cal. Moved to Texas and bought ten acres on a wildlife preserve. You can build/develop on one acre, the rest has to be left as open space for the deer, coyotes, and turkeys. Its out in the tulies. Beautiful new home though, and even has a RV pad with hookups. And he likes to make beer, will have us for a few nights, then we'll hit the road home.

Looking at early to mid November. We haven't done jack since the pandemic started in March. All I've done is work. All work and no play makes Browneye a dull boy. 😇

We thought we were going to go up the coast to Oregon and Washington - wife's folks are aging in Seattle area. But weather window is closing - the rains start, and everybody is still bumpy about covid. Screw it, we'll try to go next spring.

So I could use the help of the collective here...
OCCAM brakes - yuck! Shimano BL-MT501 is what they say on them. Pads are already squeaky. Took them out, sanded them down - they say 'organic' and have metal shavings in them. Worked great, nice and smooth now. After 4 miles - a few hot laps around the nieghborhood for some excercise, and they're already starting to squeak again. What gives? Is there a better brake pad for these? It's almost like they LIKE to have dirt and dust in them. LOL

And just a kotter-pin holding them in? Seems like there should be something a little more sophisticated, no??

I took the rear caliper off to refit them, but once I understood how they just slide into the channel, the fronts dropped in and out no sweat.

So I could use the help of the collective here...
OCCAM brakes - yuck! Shimano BL-MT501 is what they say on them. Pads are already squeaky. Took them out, sanded them down - they say 'organic' and have metal shavings in them. Worked great, nice and smooth now. After 4 miles - a few hot laps around the nieghborhood for some excercise, and they're already starting to squeak again. What gives? Is there a better brake pad for these? It's almost like they LIKE to have dirt and dust in them. LOL

And just a kotter-pin holding them in? Seems like there should be something a little more sophisticated, no??

I took the rear caliper off to refit them, but once I understood how they just slide into the channel, the fronts dropped in and out no sweat.

You could write a thesis on squeaky brakes and still miss a few tricks.

Firstly, organic pads - whilst they bite nicely, they seem to soak up contaminants like detergent and oils. Once contaminated they either squal or stop working, unfortunately sanding the surface doesn't help because the yucky muck has soaked into the pad. I use metallic pads with the bonus they last longer. But ensure the rotor is spotless before contaminating the next set of pads

Did you clean the disc and bed the pads in?

Did you adjust / centre the brakes after sanding those pads?

Are both pots moving freely?

Did you put the black tacky crap between the pads and pots? ( sorry, I just ask the shop and they give me a bit in a bag from the workchop)

Every so often, contaminants stuff up the rotor instead of the pads. I've had variable success with riding on muddy days to grind away everything, but occasionally resort to a new rotor.

Then you find sneaky squeaky things - loose spokes, dodgy wheel bearings, even steering head bearings! I've had all of these present as a frustrating intermittent brake squeak!

Back