eMTB Options For 2024

Last night I nipped out on sprogettes analogue to try and get my head around what owning one of these might be like. Similar geometry but lower spec suspension, it's just under 15 kg compared to about 18 kg for the orbea. ( my giant is 23.8 kg) There's a nice 2.4 km loop I do with 40 m of climb / descent, lots of loose berms and little jumps . I use it for exercise or to blow off steam , but it's very much full face with armour style riding. A couple of laps on the analogue plus a couple on my giant , just enough that I was starting to get loose so it's home time before hospital...

On the lighter bike I was playing around more - flicking the bike in the air , corners etc. This got me wondering if the lighter wheels of the orbea are going to hold up - they're going to be copping some serious sideways forces and I'm not exactly a light weight rider. So, ironically, I'm thinking the lower spec M20 might make sense for me - upgrade to the fox 36. factory 150 mm forks and the 4 pot brakes, but keep the extra $2 k in reserve for if the wheels need to be stronger?

So I'm practicing some impulse control and NOT going to the shop today. Perhaps Tuesday after I've had some time to ponder.
I think you might be surprised with the current wheel technology available... Light, Strong, and Expensive.

You are getting all 3! ;)

Not sure this would have been as much fun on a $10 k bike....

Attachments

• CB97DD23-2334-4C25-B76A-6432DC3465ED.jpeg
    CB97DD23-2334-4C25-B76A-6432DC3465ED.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 251
Decent specifications and worth a look.

There are a few on EBR who are not big Bafang fans... no names, please! ;)
I hear ya Flat, but my son is interested in a self build Emtb with the Ultra motor. It appears we could get it done in our garage for about 3-4k using quality parts. Do we have any regular posters who have done it?

I hear ya Flat, but my son is interested in a self build Emtb with the Ultra motor. It appears we could get it done in our garage for about 3-4k using quality parts. Do we have any regular posters who have done it?
Im not aware of any available framesets available in the US. Someone got wattwagons to sell them a travalanche but that is likely out of your price range.

There are frames available on alibaba (about as DTC as you can get). People on endless sphere have done ultra builds.

I would love to see an aluminum frameset available here in the US for the Ultra motor (despite being an "LBS guy")

I would buy a canyon, commencal, or YT decoy WAY before a Bafang powered Ebike. But that's just my own preference - I've not tested one out.

Yamaha is still my favorite, but nothing against the others - Shimano brose or Bosch. These wd be my choice before Bafang. There does seem to be a few fans for them though, our local Luna shop makes a living with them in their bike builds.

Decent specifications and worth a look.

There are a few on EBR who are not big Bafang fans... no names, please! ;)

IMHO there's some hidden costs turning that bike into a mountain bike. It's probably fine as a gravel cruiser, but is it really good value? I'll admit my bias upfront - I spent a day following a mate on a " cheap" bafang powered pivot and lost count of how many crashes he had , or how many times the bike randomly decided it'd be fun to surge over that log / rock and bounce down the hill...

eg - it's "geared for speed" - so you're at least looking for a smaller chainwheel, but realistically the cassette only has a 300% range , and trying to get a meaningful 500% range from an 8 sp is going to get expensive!

recons are a basic fork - my 12 yo son is reaching their limits on his analogue bike so I'd question their ability on a much heavier / faster emtb. Forks are expensive to upgrade!

Those rims? Although alex rims can be made tubeless , I've found them REALY difficult to seat compared with most other brands. Not a deal breaker , but worth considering if you intend to convert to tubeless.

Sorry, but he may think that is modern geometry ....again, probably fine for cruising gravel roads?

No dropper post? Holy cow, when did we last see a mtb with an off set seat post? Or such a long stem?

Hopefully we will eventually see frames with modern geometry so people can build a decent bafang emtb , but right now would be a challenging time to self build with massive supply issues for parts . Good luck, though, it should be entertaining.

My first Ebike was a hub conversion...does that count??
Sure it does, post the details. This might not be the best thread if we go into alot of detail. Im doing a hub conversion as well.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread. Its my favorite thread even as it has been derailed many times, it has always returned and has remained reasonably respectful.

Alot more enjoyable than reading threads where the OP attempts to silence people when they disagree with them.

Sure it does, post the details. This might not be the best thread if we go into alot of detail. Im doing a hub conversion as well.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread. Its my favorite thread even as it has been derailed many times, it has always returned and has remained reasonably respectful.

Alot more enjoyable than reading threads where the OP attempts to silence people when they disagree with them.

Perhaps you could start a thread on converted mountain bike options ?

I'm honestly interested in seeing the alternatives. Even though I believe a built for purpose option is the most cost effective alternative for most people, I'm starting to open my mind a little to lighter minimally assisted conversions ( aka , I have a fleet of ds mountain bikes and the prospect of all my kids moving to big brand emtb fries my calculator......)

Yes, it's a great thread. Lots of supporting members here. Hopefully we can update the title and continue into 2021.

My thread on building an ebike is here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/specialized-roll-hub-conversion-q-a.31055/
It's since been sold. When the motor crapped out and it took two months to get it all sorted, I lost confidence and interest, and became a mainstream fanboy. ;)
@PDoz was instrumental in cementing interest and confidence in Giant bikes. I am now a convert. My TranceE is everything I could want in a eMTB.

Perhaps you could start a thread on converted mountain bike options ?

I'm honestly interested in seeing the alternatives. Even though I believe a built for purpose option is the most cost effective alternative for most people, I'm starting to open my mind a little to lighter minimally assisted conversions ( aka , I have a fleet of ds mountain bikes and the prospect of all my kids moving to big brand emtb fries my calculator......)
Wow, that could be alot to cover...in the end I dont believe there are any good options for a true 'eMTB'. At least not one that I would hammer on the trails.

I might own an ultra equipped bike in the future but doubt I would ever do anything seriously offroad with it....it would be an awesome gravel grinder

I have done 2 conversions(mid drive TSDZ2 and BBS02) and will be starting my third (GMAC rear hub motor tomorrow). To be fair, these were all technically flat bar gravel bikes by todays standards.

Im all about DIY (I build most of my acoustic bikes), and tried many ebikes but when I got on a Brose bike(Bulls 27.5+ hardtail), it all clicked. The Bulls currently does everything I can do legally from my house with ease. For anything harder, my acoustic Santa Cruz Tallboy is lovely

I also like the eMTB Trance and will likely get one in the future.

Okay update on the Orbea brake pads. I finally took a look at the Trance brakes, and low and behold they are the exact components. Would never have guessed. Same MT520 calipers.

The Galfer pads arrived and they are very nicely made, with good labeling and blister packaging, new springs too.
Burnished the disk braking surface with 0000 steelwool and brake cleaner. They are surely bright now.
Installed the new pads, backed off the mounting screws, pressed the brakes a few times then held them and cinched the mounting bolts.

They work perfectly and are silent. Panic stopped a half dozen times to bed them in and they modulate perfectly. Time will tell if these glaze and get squeeky or not. As mentioned, the Trance brakes have been flawless since new - never touched them.

Kind of a product review here for Galfer - highly recommended. Cheap upgrade, flawless. 👍

Last edited:
Back