eMTB Options For 2024

$88 with shipping from Japan - Ebay.
I got a whole cassette for about $120 IIRC - for my extra wheel set. We may have different gear sets...not sure from 2019 to 2020 model.
Mine cost $38 including shipment and was received on the next day ;) A new cassette would be $81, some are still available.

The cassette model name is printed at the back of the largest sprocket, and these do not vary from year to year. Although two variants of this cassette are available: 10-45t and 10-51t. Mine is the latter. Your two cassettes might be indeed different.

I tried finding a front sprocket last night, no luck at my usual online dealers. The one on the bike is fine, but I was considering a 32 instead of 34 so I could tackle some more technical climbs. Guess I'll just need to get my fat butt out of the seat.

I tried finding a front sprocket last night, no luck at my usual online dealers. The one on the bike is fine, but I was considering a 32 instead of 34 so I could tackle some more technical climbs. Guess I'll just need to get my fat butt out of the seat.
Perhaps I can help. Where are you located... and what the BCD of your front chainring?

Perhaps I can help. Where are you located... and what the BCD of your front chainring?

Thanks , but $74 us shipping to Australia is a bit more than I'm willing to pay for the luxury of dropping a couple of teeth . Pitty, they have the wolf tooth 104 mm in blue 32 and I could get a spare black 34.

The good news is you motivated me to look international and one up components has a 32 in black , shipping $9 so I get the whole thing for less than shipping cost! Thanks.

I've been pondering supply issues and contemplating keeping some spares, but we have 6 mtb's in the shed and there's very few parts that are interchangeable.

eg chain / derailleur
1x11 shimano
1x11 sram
1x12 sram
2x10 shimano
3x 9 shimano x2

Every one of those bikes use different brake pads!
All the shocks and forks are different so things like seals aren't inter changeable. We can't even swap the forks from 1 bike to the other due to different wheel / hub sizes.
Tyres....3 different 26 inch sizes, 2 different 27.5 , and a 29 er.
I hate to think how many different sized bearings exist between all those shock linkages / wheels etc....

First world problems, I guess, but if covid restrictions lift I'd really like to take the kids up into the alps for a couple of weeks this summer. We can usually replace things like pads / derailleur etc up there, or hire bikes if our bikes go terminal - that's not going to be viable this year.

Food for thought - post covid I might look into standardising systems across the fleet.

I would like to add a larger front chain ring. I know we had some posts earlier in this thread. I never use first gear, and a little slower cadence for road-riding now would be of benefit. Maybe two to four teeth or so.
I think the TranceE is 34, would like to find a 38 perhaps.

I've been pondering supply issues and contemplating keeping some spares, but we have 6 mtb's in the shed and there's very few parts that are interchangeable.

eg chain / derailleur
1x11 shimano
1x11 sram
1x12 sram
2x10 shimano
3x 9 shimano x2

Every one of those bikes use different brake pads!
All the shocks and forks are different so things like seals aren't inter changeable. We can't even swap the forks from 1 bike to the other due to different wheel / hub sizes.
Tyres....3 different 26 inch sizes, 2 different 27.5 , and a 29 er.
I hate to think how many different sized bearings exist between all those shock linkages / wheels etc....

First world problems, I guess, but if covid restrictions lift I'd really like to take the kids up into the alps for a couple of weeks this summer. We can usually replace things like pads / derailleur etc up there, or hire bikes if our bikes go terminal - that's not going to be viable this year.

Food for thought - post covid I might look into standardising systems across the fleet.
I have the same issue with my bikes and have been thinking about standardizing parts when they need replacement.
The key question is what is the right standard... I'm thinking 1x10 or 1x11 Shimano with XT brakes, pads, rotors, etc. ;)

I have the same issue with my bikes and have been thinking about standardizing parts when they need replacement.
The key question is what is the right standard... I'm thinking 1x10 or 1x11 Shimano with XT brakes, pads, rotors, etc. ;)

I just know that as soon as I adopt a standard, the industry will discard it. I thought 11 sp was the future and planned to convert the sram 11 sp to a shimano free hub next time.....but now shimano has a different standard for their 12 sp freehub so I'm frozen by indecision. No way am I going sram - apart from their stupid high cassete prices , I've been waiting 2 weeks for the crank self removing tool thing on sprogette 1's sram gx's , which just happen to be a larger diameter than most sram crank removing tools

Ftkit, it'd be easier to set up a machinery shop and open cut mine for future spare parts......or sit on the balcony whittling them out of wood....hmmmm.....redgum racing

Take a look at SunRace... decent quality and you can buy an entire cassette for the price of a Shimano cog. ;)

Yes, you are correct. SunRace rear cassette came stock on my eMTB (11-40t) which performs quite well. Very reasonably priced on Ebay. Good to know! ;)

Guys,
The 10-12 sprockets in the cassette of my Trance E+ were successfully replaced on Friday. A 35 km night ride in rain (on roads) has been a real pleasure (although I rode in soaked bibs) :) My brother tries to talk me into buying SKS front fender for the bike. My answer is "no". I wouldn't like to spoil the looks of my e-MTB, and riding without mudguards is fine for me.

Guys,
The 10-12 sprockets in the cassette of my Trance E+ were successfully replaced on Friday. A 35 km night ride in rain (on roads) has been a real pleasure (although I rode in soaked bibs) :)
My brother tries to talk me into buying SKS front fender for the bike. My answer is "no". I wouldn't like to spoil the looks of my e-MTB, and riding without mudguards is fine for me.

Here is the set of SKS front/rear fenders that I use for winter riding... easy to install and remove.
I used to ride without protection but got tired of returning home with a racing stripe from head to toe. ;)
For summer riding I just use a small front mudguard for the on the downtube to protect the motor and chainring.

IMG_3334.jpg

I'm starting to think the lbs should pay me commission. 3 hours with 3 mates yesterday.

Mate 1 was on his new giant advance x29 ...$6 k of acoustic that he bought after doing back to back loops on my fleet.

Mate 2 was on sprogette 1's scott 940 accoustic. Legs of steel and his road bike is worth more than my ebike. I suspect he'll visit the lbs this morning. I also suspect I'm going to de restrict my bike......by the end of the day he was pulling away from me uphill because of my 25 k assist limit. We go a long way back and were rubbing elbows on motorbikes 30 years ago....this is not going to end well.

Mate 3 was on sprog 3's norco optic. He's got some deciding to do because he REALY enjoyed the rides on my ebike but really needs a light bike to build his skills.

I'm starting to think the lbs should pay me commission. 3 hours with 3 mates yesterday.

Mate 1 was on his new giant advance x29 ...$6 k of acoustic that he bought after doing back to back loops on my fleet.

Mate 2 was on sprogette 1's scott 940 accoustic. Legs of steel and his road bike is worth more than my ebike. I suspect he'll visit the lbs this morning. I also suspect I'm going to de restrict my bike......by the end of the day he was pulling away from me uphill because of my 25 k assist limit. We go a long way back and were rubbing elbows on motorbikes 30 years ago....this is not going to end well.

Mate 3 was on sprog 3's norco optic. He's got some deciding to do because he REALY enjoyed the rides on my ebike but really needs a light bike to build his skills.
I know what you mean... I think I've sold at least a dozen bikes by offering friends my EBikes to test ride. ;)

maybe you deserve payment from the manufacturers marketing dept., not the LBS. Only half joking ... there is nothing better than their first ebike grin to make people see reason.

Specialized Turbo Levo SL.

I'm cooling off on my enthusiasm for the sl- the running gear doesn't seem up to the rest of the bike/ the price+ performance bracket

As an example, the 2 decent accoustics on that ride had fox 36 or sram 35 mm forks with 29 inch tyres at 2.6 or 2.5 inch. The speeds we were riding at were pushing suspension and traction limits ( and my fox 34's were starting to struggle on the rougher down hills) . Yet the levo sl has lower spec forks and narrow tyres than any of those bikes- for $10K plus!!!!!

So personally I'll wait to ride something with the new s8 motor before my next investment.

NB I'm not just pushing ebike sales - these guys are buying accoustics worth more than my ebike!!!!!

Back