eMTB Options For 2024

Browneye, you're a bad influence!

What started as an interest in the orbea has lead down the rocky mountain rabbit hole....and now my head hurts.

On the left hand we have a levo sl - low powered, small battery, but light and easy to mistake for a normal bike.

Then on the right we have rocky...huge torque and whatever numbers, very much ebike with an unmistakable bulge between the cranks and an almost steampunk collection of levers / cogs for the chain to negotiate. There is something ideologically intriguing about the rocky mountain design - keeping the bb seperate to the motor just feels more bike and less electrical appliance. I just wish it didn't look like the lovechild from an ATK motorbike engineers dance party.....

I'd always thought the trigger for replacing the giant would be integrated motor and gearboxes , but both of these bikes intrigue me.

Browneye, you're a bad influence!

What started as an interest in the orbea has lead down the rocky mountain rabbit hole....and now my head hurts.

On the left hand we have a levo sl - low powered, small battery, but light and easy to mistake for a normal bike.

Then on the right we have rocky...huge torque and whatever numbers, very much ebike with an unmistakable bulge between the cranks and an almost steampunk collection of levers / cogs for the chain to negotiate. There is something ideologically intriguing about the rocky mountain design - keeping the bb seperate to the motor just feels more bike and less electrical appliance. I just wish it didn't look like the lovechild from an ATK motorbike engineers dance party.....

I'd always thought the trigger for replacing the giant would be integrated motor and gearboxes , but both of these bikes intrigue me.

Nice stuff... which Rocky Mountain model?

1599967604420.png

Canada produce some great bike brands - Norco, + Rocky mountain produce very tempting Emtb

Still trying to decide if I can move on from the old school geometry of my full e- I played around for a while on my daughters scott 940 analogue today - riding some steep technical x country trails on my giant and then the scott analogue. It was really surprising how accurately I could place the wheels and how tractable it was. Amazing down hill, but surprisingly nimble for such a long / slack bike.

Plus she's starting to get THAT look whilst waiting for me on the down hill runs.....

Nice stuff... which Rocky Mountain model?

No idea which, I'm still trying to decide what I think of the motor / drive design - then I'll get a test ride and decide how I feel about the weight.
My riding with sprogette 1 is moving more towards technical uphill and fast down hill , so a lighter and slacker bike makes a lot pf sense

The Path Bike Shop - Tustin CA
I bought my Orbea from them. Very professional shop.

They have several Giant emtb's, at least one Rocky Moutain, and a Norco, or a Santa Cruz I think. All high-budget.
Anything affordable has long since sold.

The Path Bike Shop - Tustin CA
I bought my Orbea from them. Very professional shop.

They have several Giant emtb's, at least one Rocky Moutain, and a Norco, or a Santa Cruz I think. All high-budget.
Anything affordable has long since sold.
Meant where in Vancouver did you live? :)

South Van, I couldn't tell you exactly, I was just a year old when they sold the house and moved to WA. Mom was American, she was homesick, her folks were there. And Dad was tired of working two jobs.
His parents were there, they were divorced, he lived in west-van in a high rise, and grandma lived in Nanaimo. We went up there often to visit.
Dad had a green card till he died, some fifty years later. Mom is in Phoenix area now, 80+. Lots of family in WA, I have two daughters up there, wife's family is there.
I am the only one of us kids with a BC birth certificate!
There, my whole life story! Lol :)

South Van, I couldn't tell you exactly, I was just a year old when they sold the house and moved to WA. Mom was American, she was homesick, her folks were there. And Dad was tired of working two jobs.
His parents were there, they were divorced, he lived in west-van in a high rise, and grandma lived in Nanaimo. We went up there often to visit.
Dad had a green card till he died, some fifty years later. Mom is in Phoenix area now, 80+. Lots of family in WA, I have two daughters up there, wife's family is there.
I am the only one of us kids with a BC birth certificate!
There, my whole life story! Lol :)
Kinda same story here. I was born in Cali and moved up here when I was 4. Mom a Canuck, Dad from Montana originally.

Was just on the Norco site as well. There 2021's are out..still using the Steps e8000. When are we going to see a bike with the new e9000?

Anybody heard of these guys? Bulls wannabes?

Have seen "Niner" bikes out there. Seem to get good reviews. I know nothing about them otherwise.

I did my 23 mile loop Sunday in 1:35, besting my time of 1:53 - nearly twenty minutes faster. I didn't stop, and pedaled like crazy. LOL 🍻
Same battery usage. [shrug] It still has about a forty mile range - 19 mile left on the app when I stopped.

Some 2021 Giants are on the website.
Looks like the Trance is only a 29'er for 2021.
Quite interesting. What's called Trance X E+ Pro (1, 2, 3) comes with 625 Wh battery compatible with Range Extender. RideControl Ergo: something new, sounds like a wireless display.

Last edited:
Back