eMTB Options For 2024

So, why did I buy a pedal-only mountain bike again????
Here's why...

An upcoming RV trip to TX will take us thru AZ and NM - both have some rather famous routes and trails for mountain bikes.
I was looking through singletracks.com for some good stop-off spots in NM - I've never been to the state - I think it's the ONLY western state I have NOT visited. Anyway, here's a cool looking trail in the forest with a five-star rating:

And look at the rules:

Before you go

• No Drinking water
  • No E-bikes permitted
  • No Fat biking allowed in winter
  • No Fee required
  • No Lift service
  • No Night riding allowed
  • No Pump track
  • No Restrooms

Have you ridden at that altitude before?

Have you ridden at that altitude before?

Motorbikes to 12K - 3650 meters.

My goal will always be to truck bikes to the top and ride down. And yes, I know, at 10K feet I nearly pass out.

Colorado trip on adventure bikes...a thousand mile Rockies tour.
And a variety of dualsport adventures in the Sierra range, to 12k feet.

DSC04195.jpg

DSC04198.jpg

DSC04112.jpg

My goal will always be to truck bikes to the top and ride down. And yes, I know, at 10K feet I nearly pass out.

We have an alpine resort called Thredbo , the town is at about 4400 feet but the top of the trails are at 6600 feet (when will you guys go metric?)

After a few days I can manage the lift assisted down hill runs without stopping, but even on my emtb the x country rides are a challenge. Sprogette 1 raced there a couple of years back and did reasonably well, she was intending to return this year but covid got in the way the week before the nationals - she had spent winter at school in the Alps so was well and truly adjusted to altitude.

Take it easy for the first few days!

So, why did I buy a pedal-only mountain bike again???? Here's why...
An upcoming RV trip to TX will take us thru AZ and NM - both have some rather famous routes and trails for mountain bikes.
I was looking through singletracks.com for some good stop-off spots in NM - I've never been to the state - I think it's the ONLY western state I have NOT visited. Anyway, here's a cool looking trail in the forest with a five-star rating:

And look at the rules: Before you go
  • No Drinking water
  • No E-bikes permitted
  • No Fat biking allowed in winter
  • No Fee required
  • No Lift service
  • No Night riding allowed
  • No Pump track
  • No Restrooms

The terrain looks good... although I have never understood the E-Bike restrictions.

This Winter ski season, daily reservations will be required to ride the chairlifts... Covid-19 strikes again! o_O

Last edited:
I've ridden to Whitney Portal - it's the stopping off spot before your climb to the highest peak in the continental US. The idea is that you spend at least a day there to acclimate to the elevation.
I've never climbed it, but know a few that have. It's a remarkable place.

It takes a day or two to be able to function at high elevation. I recall waking up in a tent in the middle of the night, at 8K feet, trying to catch my breath. Your body just is not used to it.

We have camped in the Sierras over the fourth of July, with the dirtbikes, and it snowed. Temps are always cooler at high elevation. I've spent a bunch of time and well familiar, but I always forget. ;)

A casual weekend trip... LOL

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01051-1.jpg

Whitney portal:

502.jpg

Last edited:
The Roll kit-bike and Giant Explore in my sig, both sold nearly instantly on Craigslist. Raised $2500!
It’s a great time to sell and move up. :cool:

I want one of those topeak mtx rack and bag for the Trance, like Stefan has.

Well done... I am also thinking about selling a few and upgrading my fleet.

Yeah, 3 sold on Craig's since the lockdown. You get a few scammy inquiries, but all it takes is one valid buyer.
I reply to an email inquiry to answer any questions, then request a time window to come see and try out as a text to my cell - only then do I send an address. Most flake out.

For things easy to ship, eBay still works reasonably well. Yeah, it's overloaded with imported new junk, and a few scams, but still a pretty big used marketplace.

The Explore sold to a Samoan looking fellow, very nice man, didn't know much about ebikes, just knew he wanted one. Put it on level 5 and send them around the block and they come back with a big smile on their face.

The Roll sold to a nice couple, just retired school teachers, bought for their grown daughter to ride with them. He had several bikes and a new super Vado.

Everybody wants a little off the price, so just bump it accordingly over your bottom line.

Finally got out on the new pedal MTB for a loop on our regular trail, 12 miles early yesterday while temps were cool and skys overcast.
Oh dear, it is WAY more work than the eMTB. I had to push it up a few hills, legs turned to rubber. LOL
On one of the steep hills, having stalled out about a third of the way up, 3 new bright red Giant Reign e-bikes in a line went zooming by and right up the hill. On another of the steeper ones, pushed the bike to the top, there's a fellow on a break with his new 2021 Turbo Levo that he had picked up the day before.

No, my ebike is still my main ride. The Orbea is brilliant going down hill - light as a feather, handling and suspension is fantastic, and it's easy to pedal on the level, but anything steeper than a mild grade requires a LOT of effort. I sweat my a$$ off, and it took twice as long to ride the loop. ☺

It is very hard to pedal standing up - each pump on the crank pops it forward, the bike is so light it accelerates instantly, and then stalls 'till you pump the other crank. I"m sure I'll get used to it, but it was just really hard to keep a steady cadence going off the seat.
Ergos are good, it's comfortable, the seat is too small (I have a WTB Rocket on order) but dropper works great, gears excellent, brakes outstanding. The technical downhill segments were pure joy. Tubeless tires work great. I let a little air out of both fork and shock, still a bit firm, but getting close. It is more harsh than the Trance - which I suspect is simply due to it's weight.

@PDoz - perhaps some pointers on smoothing high-speed bumps - do you go more or less on rebound damping? It's a little jarring at 25mph on braking bumps, ground chatter.

Last edited:
Set the fork and the damper to "Firm" position?

That would be compression damping. I've never completely understood the relationship between compression and rebound damping, and high-speed bumps. If you have too much rebound damping then the shock loads up, forks get harsh. If you have too little rebound then you get rebound kick and a tire out of control.

I'm not sure. The Firm setting is exactly for uphill ride. Some bikes have even a handlebar lever for activating that.

@PDoz - perhaps some pointers on smoothing high-speed bumps - do you go more or less on rebound damping? It's a little jarring at 25mph on braking bumps, ground chatter.

Depends on which bumps are jarring , and us it just braking bumps?

If it's mostly under brakes , I increase pressure

If it's from the first bump I reduce compression dampening.

If it's the late bumps I reduce rebound dampening.

But a lighter bike is going to be a lot more lively , so use that feature.

Soooo....that ep8 motor......I've always advocated for allow frames. Lets just say my bikes get used and chips are a fact of life.

But 995 gms difference between the carbon framed Merida e160 8000 vs the alloy 700 - everything else is identical AND pretty much my preferred spec! 23 kg is getting very close to my threshold for upgrading bikes. Hmmmm.....$1k oz to save 995 gms.....I can live with that, but I'm not sure I can put up with a frame that needs pampering. I could always play mind games and go alloy but tell myself it'll be lighter with tubeless and the lights removed......or even spend that $1 k buying the smaller / lighter 500 w battery as a spare / fool myself into thinking that'll make the alloy bike hit my 23 kg psychological barrier....

Back in 2018 I desperately wanted a merida e160, my lbs couldn't get one for love or money but the lbs an hour away was promised a demo bike. That demo merida sold before delivery, but they got my giant in the same day and I bought it after a demo ride. The fugly beast has been great, but every e160 I've seen since has taunted me....

Much to think about on todays ride. Can I live with a carbon frame for the sake of getting the bike I really want?

Back