eMTB Options For 2024

Their website shows zero stock in any sizes - that means there aren't any in the system, at dealers or otherwise. Did someone indicate there would be any to order? Maybe next year?

Think about Orbea Rise - some arriving early 2022. Or maybe even what might be coming in at YT Industries. You could be waiting a long time.
Of course every region will have differences, but prior to plunking any $$ down on my Intrigue, I had a couple of the larger local shops give me perspective on what's coming in.
They couldn't see anything of what I was interested in being here before fall of 22. This is in a relatively affluent city of 1.5 Million.

They both know me, and I trust them on their word and theta they weren't pushing to buying what's already was in stock, as they basically had nothing (with the one exception that I'd already spoken for).
So tell your friends, family etc.., if you want one of these machines, start shopping NOW. Put some money down on future deliveries - if you change your mind, it should be refundable as they'll have no problems selling it. At least that's what the local shops are doing here...

Of course every region will have differences, but prior to plunking any $$ down on my Intrigue, I had a couple of the larger local shops give me perspective on what's coming in.
They couldn't see anything of what I was interested in being here before fall of 22. This is in a relatively affluent city of 1.5 Million.

They both know me, and I trust them on their word and theta they weren't pushing to buying what's already was in stock, as they basically had nothing (with the one exception that I'd already spoken for).
So tell your friends, family etc.., if you want one of these machines, start shopping NOW. Put some money down on future deliveries - if you change your mind, it should be refundable as they'll have no problems selling it. At least that's what the local shops are doing here...
Randall... I can still buy a Specialized Kenevo at the rock bottom price... But I cannot do it. (Weeping...) :)

FYI, I also contacted several Alberta dealers with respect to allocation on the ’22 Trance X Advanced E and only one shop was expecting shipment around May at the earliest on strictly the base model. The BC shop where I acquired my Trance X E (2) had been allocated all models of the new Trance advanced and could potentially ship out as early as April with a refundable 20% down payment.

Last edited:
Their website shows zero stock in any sizes - that means there aren't any in the system, at dealers or otherwise. Did someone indicate there would be any to order? Maybe next year?

Think about Orbea Rise - some arriving early 2022. Or maybe even what might be coming in at YT Industries. You could be waiting a long time.
There is a 3 in stock a long ways away from me but want the 2. they havn't hit the market here yet they put them on there site you just can't buy them yet and really no one has shown me anything that comes close to that bike price and spec wise that's in stock.

FYI, I also contacted several Alberta dealers for their allocation on the ’22 Trance X Advanced E and only one shop was expecting shipment around May at the earliest on strictly the base model. The BC shop where I acquired my Trance X E (2) was allocated all models of the new Trance advanced and could potentially ship out as early as April with 20% down.
So - when are you putting 20% down?

So - when are you putting 20% down?
I’m waiting to hear back from the sole AB dealer with regards to wiggle room on current pricing but not holding my breath. BC dealer was only willing to provide a 15% discount on parts/accessories. There has been some local interest with respect to my current ride but I'll likely wait until Spring to better gauge the used market which might bode well in my favor. One dealer that had 0 allocation did have Levo CC's coming in that were unsold at the moment but not in my frame size.

I spent the morning wandering beside a creek whilst my kids went paragliding, then we used the same hill for a day of down hill shuttles. This being a parent is terrifying!

B8B894C1-9D03-4B6C-BA96-484D9F8B0B5D.jpeg
38E5C652-4A70-4683-8AE5-E80128A6B3A7.jpeg

Your kids are fearless. 👍I don't think I could ever have the fortitude to do that when I was young plus I have a touch of acrophobia. 🤯

Early last week I took the girls down some gentle white water like that creek we are riding beside. I used an old mtb for the shuttle back to the car. Now I'm wondering if there is a way to water proof an emtb and do some packrafting....what could possibly go wrong?

I’m waiting to hear back from the sole AB dealer with regards to wiggle room on current pricing but not holding my breath. BC dealer was only willing to provide a 15% discount on parts/accessories. There has been some local interest with respect to my current ride but I'll likely wait until Spring to better gauge the used market which might bode well in my favor. One dealer that had 0 allocation did have Levo CC's coming in that were unsold at the moment but not in my frame size.

Road trip...

1639678183860.png

Geometry question - just seeking opinions.

On my current ride, a Fathom E+ Pro, I have a riser stem and riser bars and I am very comfortable with this setup (neck issues - fused c3 to c5)
The stem is 70mm with a 35mm rise.
The bars are 35 mm rise, with 9 degree back-sweep and 5 degree upsweep @760 wide..

The new bike - the LIV Intrigue X E+3, has the standard Giant bars and stem of course.
Contact SL 35 Stem (40mm) and Contact 35 Trail bars @750 wide.

If you had to make a suggestion on stem and handlebar combo, what sizes (with 35mm bars) would you think might work.
Certain realities have to be taken into consideration:
  • Longer reach on Intrigue
  • shorter head tube
  • shorter stock stem
As the reach is 30mm longer - I figured the stock stem length at 40mm would probably not need to be modified, but I think I'd like a bit more rise.

What I am seeing is there isn't a lot of riser stems for 35mm bars. I do NOT want a stem riser addon - I want a riser stem.
I suspect I may need to get my additional rise via the bars.

I do intend to start with "stock" but I am fairly sure I'll want to modify the geometry a bit - especially for longer rides.

Any thoughts?
TIA!

Bike GeometryFathom SmallIntrigue Small
N/ALOW | HIGH
SEAT TUBE LENGTH (mm)405405
SEAT TUBE ANGLE7376.0° | 76.7°
TOP TUBE LENGTH (mm)575568 | 568
HEAD TUBE LENGTH (mm)10595
HEAD TUBE ANGLE6865.8° | 66.5°
FORK RAKE (mm)4644
TRAIL (mm)101.1123.4 | 118.1
WHEELBASE (mm)11401195 | 1198
CHAIN STAY LENGTH (mm)475472 | 472
BOTTOM BRACKET DROP (mm)4530 | 20
STACK (mm)617608 | 602
REACH (mm)386416 | 426
STAND OVER HEIGHT (mm)753751 | 760
HANDLEBAR WIDTH (mm)760 (custom)750
STEM LENGTH (mm)70 (custom)40
CRANK LENGTH (mm)165165
WHEEL SIZE27.5+29"

On my current ride, a Fathom E+ Pro, I have a riser stem and riser bars and I am very comfortable with this setup (neck issues - fused c3 to c5)
The bars are 35 mm rise, with 9 degree back-sweep and 5 degree upsweep @760 wide..

The new bike - the LIV Intrigue X E+3, has the standard Giant bars and stem of course.

If you had to make a suggestion on stem and handlebar combo, what sizes (with 35mm bars) would you think might work.
  • shorter head tube
  • shorter stock stem
As the reach is 30mm longer - I figured the stock stem length at 40mm would probably not need to be modified, but I think I'd like a bit more rise.

What I am seeing is there isn't a lot of riser stems for 35mm bars. I do NOT want a stem riser addon - I want a riser stem.

I do intend to start with "stock" but I am fairly sure I'll want to modify the geometry a bit - especially for longer rides.

Any thoughts?
TIA!

N/ALOW | HIGH
FORK RAKE (mm)4644
STACK (mm)617608 | 602
REACH (mm)386416 | 426
CRANK LENGTH (mm)165165
WHEEL SIZE27.5+29"
Hmmm... good question.
I ended up going for riser bars myself and I like the slightly more upright feel. My bike came with 20mm rise and I went to 50mm, so 30mm increase.
Could have gone more.
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the shorter width as well. Mine are 780 and feel just a tad wide.

Looking at those numbers, you need to go for higher bars , but It'd really help to get a side on picture of you seated and standing on both bikes.

With the intrigue having a longer reach / short stem / raked out head tube angle, an angled stem is going to gave relatively little increase in grip height, and if you get one long enough for the angle to help it'll take reach out too far for you.

NB , this is a good time to consider switching back from the 35 mm stem to 31.8 mm if your fathom has the old 31.8 mm sizing - ie look at bar / stem purchases as a complete package cost. I'd suggest starting by buying a short 31.8 mm stem and borrowing the bars from your fathom to get a feel for how high the new ones need to be. In my pre coffee state, I think you need about 60 mm rise but I'm struggling to visualise the difference that steeper seat tube angle will make to your neck position ( do you have the dropper inserted as low as possible? ) . Looking online at my favourite site, you can grab some spank spoon 31.8 mm bars @$60 Aus in anything from 25-60 mm rise , the equivalent bars in 35 mm cost $100 . Once you settle on the bend / rise that suits you, it's still relatively easier to go for a better quality set in 31.8 vs 35 mm because the 35 mm are trendy so sold out. Your local stores may differ - but keep these options in mind when shopping.

Ps go for a stem with a low stack height so you have more flexibility in where the spacers go - I'm thinking an even shorter stem but at the highest setting will bring reach back and keep you comfortable standing as well as sitting - the shorter stem shouldn't be an issue with suck a slack head angle compared to what you are used to. But a photo and decent coffee might be wise before you spend the $?

Sorry, what was the original fathom stem so we can compare your effective fathom reach figures?

edit - 2020 model had 50 mm in size small, so your effective reach is really 406 mm on your fathom. Stick with the original stem, buy yourself some 60 mm x 35 mm bars and you will get more than enough reach / height adjustability by rotating them for comfort.

Last edited:

• shorter head tube
  • shorter stock stem

Any thoughts?
TIA!

N/ALOW | HIGH
FORK RAKE (mm)4644
STACK (mm)617608 | 602
REACH (mm)386416 | 426
CRANK LENGTH (mm)165165
WHEEL SIZE27.5+29"
Assuming that you still have the stock stem and bars from the Fathom, couldn’t you just transfer the current parts from the Fathom over to the intrigue when you take delivery of it and reinstall the stock bars/stem onto the Fathom? That way you would have the LIV set up basically the same as before. The only difference being the reach would be extended.

Assuming that you still have the stock stem and bars from the Fathom, couldn’t you just transfer the current parts from the Fathom over to the intrigue when you take delivery of it and reinstall the stock bars/stem onto the Fathom? That way you would have the LIV set up basically the same as before. The only difference being the reach would be extended.

A 30 mm reach extension from the stem and another effective 10 mm between bikes - so a 40 mm stretch in reach! That's like going up 2 sizes in bike.

Back