eMTB Options For 2024

Good point. Speaking of which I wonder if/how much live valve depletes the battery on the E + models or if it’s a negligible draw?

Good point. Speaking of which I wonder if/how much live valve depletes the battery on the E + models or if it’s a negligible draw?
It looks it is powered by own rechargeable battery.

This review is not that positive:
First, fork lockouts are unnecessary outside cross-country racing, and even then, they’re only actually useful for sprints. Even then, we’re talking about a minuscule difference. Has anyone ever won or lost a race solely based on their fork being locked out or not? Not likely. My point is, fork lockouts are stupid. I don’t care how fast Fox Live reacts, you know what’s faster than 3 milliseconds? An already open fork. I don’t care if my fork bobs a little bit when I’m on a casual ride. I’d rather not waste battery power for such a trivial function. If I were to set my own bike up with Fox Live, it’d be for the shock only. I’d much rather have the superior performance of a Grip2 damper in my fork than a robot making my fork stop working 1,000 times a second. No matter how fast it works or how smart the programming is, the fact that all the system does is switch back and forth between open and firm doesn’t make it worth having it attached to the fork. If it could fine-tune compression and rebound damping on the fly, that would be another story, but as it is, the Live fork function simply doesn’t feel like it’s adding any significant benefit.

For analogue bikes, yes, but e-mtbs offered up by manufacturers such as Giant, Scott, Simplon have E-Live compatible models where the system is powered by the internal batteries.

"The Live Valve system is wired directly into the bike’s main battery, though the main computer remains mounted to the underside of the top tube."

Battery wastage on an e-mtb might be moot depending on how the system is utilized. Even though Live Valve it’s been around for a while, I think that it’s too early in its e-mtb debut to discern how well it’s received until we see more tangible reviews by end users.

"The Live Valve system is wired directly into the bike’s main battery, though the main computer remains mounted to the underside of the top tube."
Then the use of the main battery would be symbolic.

Even though Live Valve it’s been around for a while, I think that it’s too early in its e-mtb debut to discern how well it’s received until we see more tangible reviews by end users.
"The triumph of technology over the common sense" :D Sorry, had to quote my first work manager ever!

Interesting chat with my lbs today - a discussion about supply issues moved towards a much more worrying pattern of dealership takeovers. I'd be interested to know if this was a widespread phenomena, or just localized to Australia?

Apparently, two major ( us branded) manufacturers have started repossessing/ taking over bike shops. They deliver bikes on credit, get to a stage where the shop owes a significant amount on floor stock, then call on the debt / take over the shop.

The lbs was implying that they were struggling to get bikes that were being diverted to shops buying on credit who were then at risk of folding. Apparently they pay for bikes upfront ( which I believe - lots of loyal customers who order bikes and wait) .

Reflecting back on the past 4 years, they have really struggled to get stock of the emtb's I've wanted , whilst shops in neighboring towns have been discounting floor stock. This lbs sells a LOT of bikes , they were early adopters of emtb's , and offer exceptional after sales service - the owner is the mechanic, plus he used to lend out his personal emtb for test rides.

It'll be a real shame if bike shops move away from the lbs / owner operated enthusiast model and become supermarkets owned by single brands and run by disinterested employees.

Interesting chat with my lbs today - a discussion about supply issues moved towards a much more worrying pattern of dealership takeovers. I'd be interested to know if this was a widespread phenomena, or just localized to Australia?

Apparently, two major ( us branded) manufacturers have started repossessing/ taking over bike shops. They deliver bikes on credit, get to a stage where the shop owes a significant amount on floor stock, then call on the debt / take over the shop.

The lbs was implying that they were struggling to get bikes that were being diverted to shops buying on credit who were then at risk of folding. Apparently they pay for bikes upfront ( which I believe - lots of loyal customers who order bikes and wait) .

Reflecting back on the past 4 years, they have really struggled to get stock of the emtb's I've wanted , whilst shops in neighboring towns have been discounting floor stock. This lbs sells a LOT of bikes , they were early adopters of emtb's , and offer exceptional after sales service - the owner is the mechanic, plus he used to lend out his personal emtb for test rides.

It'll be a real shame if bike shops move away from the lbs / owner operated enthusiast model and become supermarkets owned by single brands and run by disinterested employees.
Cough.. Specialized... cough?

Speaking of shops - I can't understand how my current LBS stays open. The math doesn't work for me as I can see their inventory and they've already lost their head mechanic.
My next purchase will be from a different shop who lost my sale in 2020 simply because they no product for me and I wasn't prepared to wait. However, they've been very supportive anyways and I've bought lots of accessories and stuff.

I've sent plenty of business their way and my friends have been treated well, so when I saw they had something I wanted I put a deposit down.
I will announce the new wheels this weekend as the weather looks good enough for a proper test ride.
I cannot imagine any reason why I wouldn't go with this, but I do need to check it out as I've NEVER ridden a FS before for any reasonable amount of time.

Speaking of shops - I can't understand how my current LBS stays open. The math doesn't work for me as I can see their inventory and they've already lost their head mechanic.
My next purchase will be from a different shop who lost my sale in 2020 simply because they no product for me and I wasn't prepared to wait. However, they've been very supportive anyways and I've bought lots of accessories and stuff.

I've sent plenty of business their way and my friends have been treated well, so when I saw they had something I wanted I put a deposit down.
I will announce the new wheels this weekend as the weather looks good enough for a proper test ride.
I cannot imagine any reason why I wouldn't go with this, but I do need to check it out as I've NEVER ridden a FS before for any reasonable amount of time.
The great reveal...well. no great surprise I guess.

I couldn't find a Trance in small, nor any chance of getting one here, until probably fall.
So I went with a Liv Intrigue X E+ 3 in small instead. Test ride went well - the 29" wheels are going to take some time to get used to, but the motor is the same as what I have, so no great surprises.

Compared to the Norco, that leaves me with about $4k in my pocket. I mainly ride trails - and the Full Suspension plus 29" wheels will smooth out some of the terrain.
All the extras on the Norco (or Trance Advanced) would be wasted on me.

Did I need a new bike - no, but what the heck. I will ride the Fathom through the winter, and in the spring tune it up and sell it.
Based on what the salesman at the said - it will be worth more in the spring anyways as there isn't going to be nearly enough stock to cover the demand.

20211211_125406.jpg 20211211_125414.jpg
Old and new 20211211_133134.jpg

Below is a table with my current Fathom, the new purchase and for comparison - a small Trance (like @Prairie Dog).

It's pretty close, and I will transfer my stem and bars over from the Fathom and replace the stock 100mm dropper with a One-Up 120mm.

Bike GeometryFathom SmallIntrigue SmallTrance Small
N/ALOW | HIGHLOW | HIGH
SEAT TUBE LENGTH (mm)405405400
SEAT TUBE ANGLE7376.0° | 76.7°76.0° | 76.7°
TOP TUBE LENGTH (mm)575568 | 568575 | 575
HEAD TUBE LENGTH (mm)1059595
HEAD TUBE ANGLE6865.8° | 66.5°65.8° | 66.5°
FORK RAKE (mm)464444
TRAIL (mm)101.1123.4 | 118.1123.4 | 118.1
WHEELBASE (mm)11401195 | 11981202 | 1205
CHAIN STAY LENGTH (mm)475472 | 472472 | 472
BOTTOM BRACKET DROP (mm)4530 | 2030 | 20
STACK (mm)617608 | 602608 | 602
REACH (mm)386416 | 426423 | 4433
STAND OVER HEIGHT (mm)753751 | 760744 | 753
HANDLEBAR WIDTH (mm)780750780
STEM LENGTH (mm)504040
CRANK LENGTH (mm)165165160
WHEEL SIZE27.5+29"29"
CurrentNewPrairie Dog's Trance

The great reveal...well. no great surprise I guess.

I couldn't find a Trance in small, nor any chance of getting one here, until probably fall.
So I went with a Liv Intrigue X E+ 3 in small instead. Test ride went well - the 29" wheels are going to take some time to get used to, but the motor is the same as what I have, so no great surprises.

Compared to the Norco, that leaves me with about $4k in my pocket. I mainly ride trails - and the Full Suspension plus 29" wheels will smooth out some of the terrain.
All the extras on the Norco (or Trance Advanced) would be wasted on me.

Did I need a new bike - no, but what the heck. I will ride the Fathom through the winter, and in the spring tune it up and sell it.
Based on what the salesman at the said - it will be worth more in the spring anyways as there isn't going to be nearly enough stock to cover the demand.

View attachment 109067 View attachment 109068
Old and new View attachment 109069

Below is a table with my current Fathom, the new purchase and for comparison - a small Trance (like @Prairie Dog).

It's pretty close, and I will transfer my stem and bars over from the Fathom and replace the stock 100mm dropper with a One-Up 120mm.

Bike GeometryFathom SmallIntrigue SmallTrance Small
N/ALOW | HIGHLOW | HIGH
SEAT TUBE LENGTH (mm)405405400
SEAT TUBE ANGLE7376.0° | 76.7°76.0° | 76.7°
TOP TUBE LENGTH (mm)575568 | 568575 | 575
HEAD TUBE LENGTH (mm)1059595
HEAD TUBE ANGLE6865.8° | 66.5°65.8° | 66.5°
FORK RAKE (mm)464444
TRAIL (mm)101.1123.4 | 118.1123.4 | 118.1
WHEELBASE (mm)11401195 | 11981202 | 1205
CHAIN STAY LENGTH (mm)475472 | 472472 | 472
BOTTOM BRACKET DROP (mm)4530 | 2030 | 20
STACK (mm)617608 | 602608 | 602
REACH (mm)386416 | 426423 | 4433
STAND OVER HEIGHT (mm)753751 | 760744 | 753
HANDLEBAR WIDTH (mm)780750780
STEM LENGTH (mm)504040
CRANK LENGTH (mm)165165160
WHEEL SIZE27.5+29"29"
CurrentNewPrairie Dog's Trance
Lookin' great Randall! Nicely spec'd as well. Should be a lovely ride.

Be interesting to see where you like the flip chip Randall.
Excellent point - I didn't even think of that on the test ride.
I suspect it was on the "slack" setting - but what the heck do I know.

What I do know is full suspension is pretty slick - never done that before. But couldn't put it through all the paces - too wintery and not on Spikers yet.
Maybe I'll go and steal my brothers set - he hasn't mounted them on his Talon yet. 😂

Excellent point - I didn't even think of that on the test ride.
I suspect it was on the "slack" setting - but what the heck do I know.

What I do know is full suspension is pretty slick - never done that before. But couldn't put it through all the paces - too wintery and not on Spikers yet.
Maybe I'll go and steal my brothers set - he hasn't mounted them on his Talon yet. 😂
Yeah I won't be going back to hardtail any time soon.
Good luck with the stealth spikey theft mate! :D

Randall, congrats on the liv.

Usually the geometry of a liv s is comparable to a giant xs , it 1 size down - although there are subtle differences in spec ( and the seat! ) .

My daughters used to joke how sexist it was that liv bikes were smaller - but the oldest hit 6 foot in primary school so she might have an unusual perspective.

With a bit of preparation and the right choice of clothing and tires, winter can be a great way to get out and ride. We received snow that same evening so riding this section will likely involve modifying one's approach down the slope.

The day after along a different trail.

Still waiting on the Reign E2 here in the U.S. to actually be a viable to order. Ready roll on it as soon as it's a here.

Their website shows zero stock in any sizes - that means there aren't any in the system, at dealers or otherwise. Did someone indicate there would be any to order? Maybe next year?

Think about Orbea Rise - some arriving early 2022. Or maybe even what might be coming in at YT Industries. You could be waiting a long time.

Back