eMTB Options For 2024

One Sweet Ride. :cool:

A member of our trio unveiled his new Yeti 160E. It sports a higher BB, 170mm/160mm (F/R), shorter chainstays, 650 wH battery and an EP8 powerplant.

IMG_20211118_1355384.jpg

IMG_20211118_1356190.jpgIMG_20211118_1356268.jpgIMG_20211118_1356430.jpg

We then proceeded to carve some trails at MacKenzie Bluff. Despite the lack of snow on the trails and losing a few studs along the way, it was a great day to be out riding. 👍

One Sweet Ride. :cool:

A member of our trio unveiled his new Yeti 160E. It sports a higher BB, 170mm/160mm (F/R), shorter chainstays, 650 wH battery and an EP8 powerplant.

View attachment 107289

We then proceeded to carve some trails at MacKenzie Bluff. Despite the lack of snow on the trails and losing a few studs along the way, it was a great day to be out riding. 👍

That Yeti looks pretty sweet - where did he get it?

None of the Calgary shops that stock Yeti are listing the electric bikes.
But too many $$$ - for that amount I'd get both a Creo AND a Trance...

That Yeti looks pretty sweet - where did he get it?

None of the Calgary shops that stock Yeti are listing the electric bikes.
But too many $$$ - for that amount I'd get both a Creo AND a Trance...
From Hardcore Bikes on White Ave in Edmonton. It’s a small shop but he was able to source one after he approached their staff and inquired about its availability. Ryan is a long-time fan of the brand

Totally agree. That’s a lot of coin to pay for a bike. It’s in the same stratosphere as the new Levo Expert. If anyone is interested, Ryan is looking at selling his Levo SL (L) which is in mint condition.

Looking at the reign E+2 in the U.S. and wondering what other bikes are that are on that same level both price and performance wise?

Looking at the reign E+2 in the U.S. and wondering what other bikes are that are on that same level both price and performance wise?
This mega test from about 2 years back puts it in a broad category with a whole stack of other similarly specced and priced bikes. Pull the competitors down a model or three to match the Reign you have in mind. No shortage of choice, if only you can find stock!

Are you aware the reign e2 uses a sram nx cassette - so shimano hg driver? I have mixed feelings about having this on my levo sl, it makes switching to shimano 10/11 sp easier , but if I decide to stay 12 sp I'm stuck with NX , ie I can't use the other sram cassettes ( 400 gm lighter and 10 tooth vs 11 tooth smallest cog) , nor can I use shimano 12 sp ( microspline driver) . I'll probably move back to shimano 11 sp and save 400 gms - using the xt spares on my shelf. But I wouldn't choose to but an nx sram equipped bike afain.

I'm not sure about US pricing , but you could look at eg the norco range A2 ( some people prefer the instant grab of shimano 4 pots over the " progressive" feel of the sram codes the giant uses , plus they're a mongrel to bleed) . I like that you can decide what battery to pay for / cart around with the norco,

At the risk of telling you how to suck eggs, if you need that much suspension travel , is the E2 spec giant specced high enough for you? They're a big bike , and you'll be hitting things hard . The E1 is about 5% more expensive and the specs suit the design better?

Are you aware the reign e2 uses a sram nx cassette - so shimano hg driver? I have mixed feelings about having this on my levo sl, it makes switching to shimano 10/11 sp easier , but if I decide to stay 12 sp I'm stuck with NX , ie I can't use the other sram cassettes ( 400 gm lighter and 10 tooth vs 11 tooth smallest cog) , nor can I use shimano 12 sp ( microspline driver) . I'll probably move back to shimano 11 sp and save 400 gms - using the xt spares on my shelf. But I wouldn't choose to but an nx sram equipped bike afain.

I'm not sure about US pricing , but you could look at eg the norco range A2 ( some people prefer the instant grab of shimano 4 pots over the " progressive" feel of the sram codes the giant uses , plus they're a mongrel to bleed) . I like that you can decide what battery to pay for / cart around with the norco,

At the risk of telling you how to suck eggs, if you need that much suspension travel , is the E2 spec giant specced high enough for you? They're a big bike , and you'll be hitting things hard . The E1 is about 5% more expensive and the specs suit the design better?
I have saints and xtr shifter, xtr short cage derailleur and xt rhythm cassette on my stance e2 and want the to do the same on the new bike. I don't understand why the spec it with that low of a group set sram nx regardless of weather you like Sram or Shimano. You can switch to the micro drive that's what I did on my Stance

They only list the E 3 and E 2 in the US at the moment.

This mega test from about 2 years back puts it in a broad category with a whole stack of other similarly specced and priced bikes. Pull the competitors down a model or three to match the Reign you have in mind. No shortage of choice, if only you can find stock!

The bike is a bit different then was 2 years ago or even last year

They only list the E 3 and E 2 in the US at the moment.

interesting how giant pitch between countries. In Australia , we get e0,1,2 - they don't even bother with the e3! The e1 sells best over here, at least it's the only one I see out on the trail. From a distance, it seems like giant is a budget mainstream brand in the us - competing with online sales?

I agree re the nx cassette - it's a weird choice but a lot of manufacturers do it. The cynic in me thinks they ordered a lot of hg wheels expecting to use shimano 11 sp but then shimano shortages left them overstocked, marketing HQ decided they needed 12 sp instead of the more sensible 10 ???? If's not an intrinsically bad choice - my nx is lasting really well ( the cassette has at least twice the km of my daughters gx and her bike us muscle powered! )

I have a Trek Domane HP that is my road bike and I am taking delivery of a Yeti 160E this afternoon. I will let you know what I think. I have tested a Santa Cruz Heckler a few times also.
Look forward to your initial thoughts. Ryan seems to have been smitten by his 160 and would have left us in the dust snow if it wasn’t for the fact that the LBS only had one studded Ice Spiker remaining in the store to sell to him.

GH011243_Moment9.jpg

@Prairie Dog pointed out to me that the Trance X Advanced has hit the Canadian site.

Wow - pricing is scary - the new Reign is cheaper!
I was waiting for a Trance with some newer features, but I don't think I'm going to spend that kind of money for the type of riding I do.

Now to return to the regular Analysis Paralysis... :)
I hear ya loud and clear.
A Trance or Reign would be fun, but for me it's more than I could use really. Great bikes.

As I can see it, Giant has reached the price level of Specialized...

Perhaps you have a different price structure, but in Aus the highest priced trance is still 10% cheaper than the lowest spec levo! Go top of the range levo and it's half the price!

You can't compare the trances fox 36 factory live wire with the levos relatively budget fox 36 float with grip damper!,! That's amazing tech at the price level for either the trance advanced 0 or 1 !

BUT , the levo is in a different league to the trance - a generation further ahead in frame design. That's not a criticism of giant, they've come from being 2/3 generations behind to almost cstching up in under 4 years.

Interesting times

Last edited:
@Prairie Dog pointed out to me that the Trance X Advanced has hit the Canadian site.

Wow - pricing is scary - the new Reign is cheaper!
I was waiting for a Trance with some newer features, but I don't think I'm going to spend that kind of money for the type of riding I do.

Now to return to the regular Analysis Paralysis... :)
The X is composite that's why in the US. They list the reign here but you can't order it or I would have! Dealer doesn't know when you will be able to order GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! You can get a Trance pro with the older motor 80 vs 85 and it bigger less clearance and weighs more.

Perhaps you have a different price structure, but in Aus the highest priced trance is still 10% cheaper than the lowest spec levo! Go top of the range levo and it's half the price!

You can't compare the trances fox 36 factory live wire with the levos relatively budget fox 36 float with grip damper!,! That's amazing tech at the price level for either the trance advanced 0 or 1 !

BUT , the levo is in a different league to the trance - a generation further ahead in frame design. That's not a criticism of giant, they've come from being 2/3 generations behind to almost cstching up in under 4 years.

Interesting times
Interesting times indeed. The 0 is essentially the full monty when it comes to Giant’s trail ready lineup. A CF monocoque frame (CF wheels and bars to boot) and electronic adaptive suspension still places it below the price point of a Levo Exp. Live Valve would be a bonus on climbs or where the terrain varies without having to adjust compression on the fly. I would be curious to see how fast it reacts. No word on when these will start showing up on dealer’s floors here.

More here.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/b...ikes/giant-trance-x-advanced-pro-29-0-review/

I rode the Yeti SB160E Wednesday and actually puchased it though I left it at the shop to change out pedals and add some kind of bottle mount. I have ridden the Heckler numerous times and comparing the two I would say the Yeti feels lighter though it actually is the same weight I think. The motor on the Yeti on ECO has less power but when you put it on Trail setting it really has more power than you would need here in the Midwest, though nice to have the trail setting on even hills here. I left it on Eco most of the time and felt I still had a good workout but I wasn't exhausted. I am 64. The ride is not plush but I would say better than my Santa Cruz 5010. Though the 5010 is 27.5 and the Yeti is a 29er. Tracks well and the bike feels more alive and fun than the Heckler and I would say that it is very quiet most of the time. There tends to be a clicking noise from the motor when not pedaling but I think it is common with the Shimano motor. I like it, but it is too much money. I have to look at it as a long term health investment. I cannot justify it any other way.

Back