eMTB Options For 2024

Thanks all for the tubeless tips. I think I'll still wear down my tubed Regolith rear tyre first (my 'practice' tyre) but there's some good black Friday specials on at the moment so picked up a 27.5 DHR2 2.6 Exo+ for replacement when the time comes and a quality tubeless valve pair. The Assegai was the same price but seems to be more common up front? I have some orange sealant around from using it in tubes. And I work in media production so gaff is never in short supply!

Last edited:
Looking at the reign E+2 in the U.S. and wondering what other bikes are that are on that same level both price and performance wise?

I think they're still way downhill oriented - make sure that's what you really want. There were rumblings here about it being different than years past, but before it was a really spread-out design.
Even our 29" StanceE isn't nearly as snappy as my Trance. For my general trail riding I know the Reign would not be the right choice for me.

On another note, here's another new bike out:

Did I tell you that you could buy a Specialized Turbo Kenevo Comp for US$4950 equivalent at Specialized Warsaw Brand Store on Black Friday? :) (It could be a 2020 model).
It's not an e-bike for me, though.

I think they're still way downhill oriented - make sure that's what you really want. There were rumblings here about it being different than years past, but before it was a really spread-out design.
Even our 29" StanceE isn't nearly as snappy as my Trance. For my general trail riding I know the Reign would not be the right choice for me.

On another note, here's another new bike out:

I live in the mountains so I think it will be right at home and should climb well to

I would love to have one of these...

Ditto. I got a call from the guy who sold me the levo sl - sounding me out to sell it. I might call the local orbea dealer and see if they are expecting a h15- that's about the right spec level / price for me , and only 2 kg heavier than my sl.

The hard choice then becomes - do I keep the levo sl for the kids / more agressive down hill days for me

New bike in the mix. Norco VLT Fluid or Sight A1. Made in Canada and super battery options. Was in a shop yesterday and they looked at what was currently on allocation to them from Giant, and they currently have zero Trances of any level coming in my size for quite some time. I don't need the FS bike for at least 4 months now, but need to get moving now.

In the meantime, it's best to get to get the Ice Spikers mounted as it's now time.

My Fathom is fine for now, but it's upgrade time!

New bike in the mix. Norco VLT Fluid or Sight A1. Made in Canada and super battery options. Was in a shop yesterday and they looked at what was currently on allocation to them from Giant, and they currently have zero Trances of any level coming in my size for quite some time. I don't need the FS bike for at least 4 months now, but need to get moving now.

In the meantime, it's best to get to get the Ice Spikers mounted as it's now time.

My Fathom is fine for now, but it's upgrade time!
Yeah the Norcos look awesome!
Are the batteries removeable? I forget.
***EDIT*** Yup, they are. Nice rides!

Hit the trails on Tuesday and conditions were still stellar despite some icy patches. Might appear a bit different today as we received snow yesterday but it melted and the subsequent freeze overnight should make for an interesting ride today.

The local MTB park

Last edited:
Yeah the Norcos look awesome!
Are the batteries removeable? I forget.
***EDIT*** Yup, they are. Nice rides!
Supposedly it takes about 3 minutes to remove the battery for charging (required for this climate), and if you were doing a full swap, it takes about 10 minutes.
I'm starting to look closer - but the battery options at Norco, combined with availability of other products in the price range (I guess it might be considered midrange now) are making the Norco pretty attractive. 900wH battery being available is pretty amazing, but likely overkill. There's a Small just up the highway in Edmonton, and with the 720wH battery it's $9400. Thats 2x what i paid for my Fathom E+ Pro, a year and a half ago. But I did go back to a 6 month consulting gig for some extra "mad money" and although it's at the absolute top of the budget, it's still within the budget. But if I spend that much, I will have trouble keeping the other 2. And I will need new tires, as my Spikers are 27.5 and winter is a reality here.

Supposedly it takes about 3 minutes to remove the battery for charging (required for this climate), and if you were doing a full swap, it takes about 10 minutes.
I'm starting to look closer - but the battery options at Norco, combined with availability of other products in the price range (I guess it might be considered midrange now) are making the Norco pretty attractive. 900wH battery being available is pretty amazing, but likely overkill. There's a Small just up the highway in Edmonton, and with the 720wH battery it's $9400. Thats 2x what i paid for my Fathom E+ Pro, a year and a half ago. But I did go back to a 6 month consulting gig for some extra "mad money" and although it's at the absolute top of the budget, it's still within the budget. But if I spend that much, I will have trouble keeping the other 2. And I will need new tires, as my Spikers are 27.5 and winter is a reality here.
You might also want to check out MSG (Mud,Sweat & Gears) in Red Deer as they are the local Norco dealer here. ;)

Looks like a killer bike. More than I need, but since when did "need" enter into it? 🤣
I think I'm going to get a rear shock upgrade for the Stance so that it'll lockout. That's about it... or maybe a dropper post... and a kickstand... and maybe a...
AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!
😇🤣

You might also want to check out MSG (Mud,Sweat & Gears) in Red Deer as they are the local Norco dealer here.

You might also want to check out MSG (Mud,Sweat & Gears) in Red Deer as they are the local Norco dealer here. ;)
Yeah, the one in the 'chuck is same business. But I am going to try to keep the "local" in LBS. Even Cochrane became a logistical pain, and it's only 35km from my house. Ultimately I may not be able to make that choice due to supply issues, but Ridleys is my closest and sell Giant, while Calgary Cycle isn't that much further away and they are a Norco dealer. I am going to pop in at Ridleys today and see if I can get my name on a future delivery on some kind of Trance like yours. But if they have one of the Advanced ones coming that's unclaimed, might do that. Like i mentioned in another post about the Norco, the $$ goalposts have moved a bit. Don't need most of what those $10k bikes deliver as I'm more of a trail rider than a mountain biker, but what the heck...

Yeah, the one in the 'chuck is same business. But I am going to try to keep the "local" in LBS. Even Cochrane became a logistical pain, and it's only 35km from my house. Ultimately I may not be able to make that choice due to supply issues, but Ridleys is my closest and sell Giant, while Calgary Cycle isn't that much further away and they are a Norco dealer. I am going to pop in at Ridleys today and see if I can get my name on a future delivery on some kind of Trance like yours. But if they have one of the Advanced ones coming that's unclaimed, might do that. Like i mentioned in another post about the Norco, the $$ goalposts have moved a bit. Don't need most of what those $10k bikes deliver as I'm more of a trail rider than a mountain biker, but what the heck...
Enjoy the shopping!:D

Just another part of the fun! Especially when you have a perfectly serviceable ride already. Pressure is off...
Pressure is now REALLY off...well sort of anyways.
Deposit paid, and test ride is waiting on better weather for a "non studded tire" test.

Stay tuned...might be a few weeks though, although it will be likely a "Merry Christmas to me" type of thing.
I'm going to be a bit of a bastard/scrooge/grinch (pick your own term) and not say which bike has money on it!

Pressure is now REALLY off...well sort of anyways.
Deposit paid, and test ride is waiting on better weather for a "non studded tire" test.

Stay tuned...might be a few weeks though, although it will be likely a "Merry Christmas to me" type of thing.
I'm going to be a bit of a bastard/scrooge/grinch (pick your own term) and not say which bike has money on it!
Ya big meanie! 🤣

Back