eMTB Options For 2024

Fun factoid - when you are travelling out the back of marble bar, emptying the by product of those cans may reveal rocks with golden seams. The pilbarra has almost as much undiscovered asbestos as gold , and to the naked eye it looks the same. Sprog 3 was going through his dwarf phase , and we weren't aware of this until we started chatting to a gold miner.
PDoz: How comes every single word of yours is English but I cannot make head or tail of what you're writing?! :D
I wouldn't get the "Italian mistress" story of yours if not a friend who is far more proficient with English than I am...

PDoz: How comes every single word of yours is English but I cannot make head or tail of what you're writing?! :D
I wouldn't get the "Italian mistress" story of yours if not a friend who is far more proficient with English than I am...

Perhaps it's because I speak Australian? Try standing upside down and drinking a few beers, if it still doesn't make sense drink a few more.

Btw, I had to clear the cobwebs to fact check if that book existed
30B4A705-3E9F-4BFB-956C-C9343A4B00E3.jpeg

Is there a DIY 40-45 lbs Ebike topic? I've been looking for frame, mid motor, and battery kit but there is not much availability. I see some carbon frames compatible with Bafang mid motor like M600 or M500. Has anyone done it? Or I should ask who had built the lightest ebike that is available to the mass?
I'm very interested!

Last edited:
Is there a DIY 40-45 lbs Ebike topic? I've been looking for frame, mid motor, and battery kit but there is not much availability. I see some carbon frames compatible with Bafang mid motor like M600 or M500. Has anyone done it? Or I should ask who had built the lightest ebike that is available to the mass?
I'm very interested!

try here

I had browsed through it and concluded that only bafang motor is avai. Im hoping that other brand motors will be avai in 2022.

You have to look hard, but the manufacturers of the bafang carbon frame ( dengwhatever) also produced a few frames that use shimano motors ( but geometry from 2018 ish) , plus a few people have built plates to fit other motors into the dengfwgatever frames.

Most people looking at light builds will buy a "budget " version of one of the lighter bikes then spend a fortune on lighter components. That had been my intention with my levo sl comp carbon - eg when the heavy nx cassette wears out I'll move to shimano xt 11 sp ( 400 gms saving) , or perhaps source some lighter wheels. I've already fitted carbon vars / renthal stem etc. Mine sits around 18 kg ready to ride with decent rubber , I reckon I could get it down to 17 kg and most of the improvement is unsprung weight.

If you are on a budget and want light, the original merida e160/120 is a really good starting point - if/ when the motor dies you can drop another kg by replacing the e8000 with an ep8 , they were a
ready reasonably light (21 - 23 kg for alloy ) and I've seen a few down around the 19 kg mark

If you are on a budget and want light, the original merida e160/120 is a really good starting point - if/ when the motor dies you can drop another kg by replacing the e8000 with an ep8 , they were a
ready reasonably light (21 - 23 kg for alloy ) and I've seen a few down around the 19 kg mark
Is that the model with the external battery? That's pretty impressive. I still see a few of that era kicking around the local tracks.

Out of curiosity I jumped on the scales with mine - a stock XL e160 500, so nothing high end or lightweight beyond the EP8. It was a portly 25kg even. Still a few kegs lighter than my commuter, but a lot of weight to be throwing around a track. I suspect the stable monster truck quality of the ride is covering over many of my deficiencies as a noob mtber.

I do see the weight coming into play on jumps and drops a bit. Unpowered riders gracefully pop over them, I thud down them. Still, zero buyers remorse and such a blast.. I count down the days and hours until my next ride (17 hours).

Is that the model with the external battery? That's pretty impressive. I still see a few of that era kicking around the local tracks.

Out of curiosity I jumped on the scales with mine - a stock XL e160 500, so nothing high end or lightweight beyond the EP8. It was a portly 25kg even. Still a few kegs lighter than my commuter, but a lot of weight to be throwing around a track. I suspect the stable monster truck quality of the ride is covering over many of my deficiencies as a noob mtber.

I do see the weight coming into play on jumps and drops a bit. Unpowered riders gracefully pop over them, I thud down them. Still, zero buyers remorse and such a blast.. I count down the days and hours until my next ride (17 hours).

Yes, all the " advances" in recent years add up on the scales - integrated and bigger batteries need heavy frames to accomodate them , all that long and low geometry comes with a weight penalty , the wider diameter suspension , wheels getting more robust etc.

I'm very interested!

For all but an expert or competition rider, whom don't ride ebikes anyway, a few pounds is easily made up with the assist. Sure the hardcore enthusiasts go for the lightest most agile bikes, but for the vast majority one way or another is insignificant. Suspension and geometry, componentry, hits way higher on the needs and wants scale.

It would be different if there weren't good options for off-the-shelf high performance eMTB's from plenty of major manufacturers.

Good luck on your quest. 👍

Back