eMTB Options For 2024

ditto, I'm undecided and I'd be having a long talk with my lbs before buying a specialized now. ( and suspect this is my last sepcialized)

This could go either way - they could easilly lose the boutique shops that earned them such a good reputation , although this MIGHT help those shops survive?

ps thanks for bringing this up, I'd been watching for news of the rumoured mid power levo sl ...No way am I buying another specialuzed until we see how this plays out!!!
Right now it feels like yet another blow to the mom/pop brick/mortar LBS out there.
That pisses me off.

This is going to affect the stores, which is going to affect ebike sales.

Specialized already run a tiered distribution system with preferential distribution of bikes to their high turnover ( and exclusive) stores . I've heard stories of predatory behaviour - pushing for high levels of floor stock / debt on stock +/- exclusive brands in store, and then moving in and taking over stores. Meanwhile, the smaller dealers +/- those who don't work on credit are struggling to get bikes ( including stores with decades of loyal customers) . I know my lbs was considering dumping specialized , and if they do I won't be buying another. An ebike without local support us more hassle than I need .
Interesting. I'm curious how the long term economics of this approach plays out. Given the wear and tear of mtbing (not to mention the crashes) I wouldn't consider a brand without a strong LBS presence either.

Just to be clear... I'm not crapping on Spesh, or their products. Just trying to get a grip on what they're doing.

I's say this move is nudging me away from my pro specialized bias.

They make fantastic bikes, but you pay a premium price for what historically was good customer ( and lbs) support. Anything threatening that support makes their prices harder to digest.

My lbs is very much a " mom / pop" brick + mortar store. Magical place, with the husband spinning spanners and desperate to get put spinning cranks, his wife patiently handling customers who really want to interrupt the husband from spinning spanners. She then has to nudge him back towards the spanners every time he looks up and starts chatting.... Early emtb adopters , they both used to let customers sample their emtb's in 2018 and that's a significant contribution to the local popularity of emtb. It's REALY dissapointing to see bikes being diverted to another ( larger / commercial ) dealer.....

Starting next week consumers who want to buy a Specialized bike will have many options:

1. They can walk into a brick-and-mortar Specialized dealer, including independent and company-owned stores.
  2. They can find the bike they want on Specialized’s website and then use the site’s dealer locator to find a nearby dealer who has the bike in stock, and then contact that store about a purchase. Specialized told dealers that the dealer locator will be positioned prominently on the website.
  3. They can buy directly from the Specialized website and have the bike delivered to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 Specialized dealer closest to them. The dealer will assemble the bike and the customer will come pick it up. The dealer would get 50% of the normal margin on the sale.
  4. They can buy directly from the Specialized website and opt to have the bike delivered to their home in a mostly assembled state, similar to what consumer-direct brands like Canyon offer. Specialized will use facilities in Salt Lake City and Ohio to pre-assemble bikes for this delivery option, and then ship them in larger boxes to the consumer. The packaging will include tools and QR codes that direct consumers to assembly videos.
  5. They can buy directly from the Specialized website and opt to have an assembled bike delivered to their door by a Specialized dealer. The dealers will provide “white glove” delivery and fitting, and the dealer will receive 75% of the standard margin for providing this service. This is the same margin now offered to dealers fulfilling click-and-collect purchases.

Looks like Giant has the new lineup of the AL version Trans X E+ up for display on their homepage. Like it's big brother, the Reign, their top performer gets a beefier battery as well. Only two models will be available here in Canada.

Looks like Giant has the new lineup of the AL version Trans X E+ up for display on their homepage. Like it's big brother, the Reign, their top performer gets a beefier battery as well. Only two models will be available here in Canada.

I think they were stalling a bit on this up graded version to sell off the previous model. Isn't here in the U.S. last I new yet. Also Giant doesn't seem to be releasing all the different levels a bike comes in like it looks like the US is getting just the Reign e2 and e3 and not the e1 and e0 but they may released later.

This looks like it'll be a nice machine...

Someone should take those PR and vis com students to the top of a mountain and make them ride down.....

67327C18-0F0C-4E37-AAEA-CB24A3503C96.jpeg

Hmmm...sexy beast.
Pre-orders for European countries only...no USA.
How much??

Shimano EP8 with 750W pack. 👍

Cowell broke his arm recently while riding M1 Spitzing, a 120 Nm e-MTB in the city, on wet pavement.

Meanwhile, there non e-mtb races going on. This one is a bit long to watch, but the effort and skills are amazing.
Never gets old watching that run. Share a thought for the legion of tangled bikes and riders behind the lead pack. Snow is a strictly theoretical concept where I live so I can only imagine how delicate the dance between balance and line choice must be on that top section.

Back