Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

hi , here 2 pics of the Volabike dangle , which worked perfectly until recently, but it is out of order, because the protection is not great

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0601.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0601.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 205
  • thumbnail_IMG_0603.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0603.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 198
hi , here 2 pics of the Volabike dangle , which worked perfectly until recently, but it is out of order, because the protection is not great
Did it get damaged due to rider error? Or just fall apart?

Could you please make a picture from the component's side, so we can get an idea about electronic design?

in case someone is searching for it :
i have two spare Volabike dongles removed from two bikes i sold a few weeks ago.
( i live in France and but i can send it everywhere)

Last edited:
A long thread with lots of useful stuff. Thanks everyone.
My takeaway is that the X35 with the dongle available from Spain/Australia or elsewhere will take an EU limited motor to about 30 km/h with the added benefit (to some) of a less obvious cutoff from the motor when it hits its assist limit.
Any more feedback from anyone who has purchased the dongle?
I did a full review of the australian model two years ago. The issue with those dongles is not with the garmin or the app but with the fact that above 25km/h (in Europe) the power delivered is divided by 3 or 4. You need to use full power to get any sensation of assistance. So I found it useless and got rid of it quickly. The reason for that is because the power curve for each level is set up inside the engine electronics and quickly declining above 23km/h, so the dongle won't change this fact and the more speed you have the less % of power you gain...

maybe, but what are you looking for, more power or more speed, at 30 km/h I don't feel any difference in power

hello, I am looking to get a speed dongle for my rose sneak plus eq, with a x35 sytem. I am not sure weather to get the volabike or speefun ghost dongle... they seem to work exactly the same right? But why do you have to select the year of manufacture of the bike, with the volabike then?

My Volabike dongle finally started to die too... oddly it still works but causes this issue where the bike throws an 06 error... related to the PAS (Cadence) sensor. Replacing the PAS sensor fixed the issue for a bit but it would return. So I got a SpeedFun dongle and thus far its working well - although it has a different power curve (less battery use, shorter and lower power output I.E. lower power that tapers out more quickly over 20mph for my USA bike).

One question though is that SpeedFun warns against using the dongle with the external range-extender battery due to incompatibilities? I occasionally used the Volabike with the range extender. Any ideas what the incompatibilities might be or what they are getting at. Could that have damaged the Volabike dongle??

hello, I am looking to get a speed dongle for my rose sneak plus eq, with a x35 sytem. I am not sure weather to get the volabike or speefun ghost dongle... they seem to work exactly the same right? But why do you have to select the year of manufacture of the bike, with the volabike then?
The X35 system totally changed a few years ago when they went to the smaller hub... and the cable design changed. Speedfun seems to be more responsive and to ship faster. What did you end up choosing?

Back