Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

They were very hit and miss (mostly miss) with communications with me as well. I originally ordered a X35 dongle from them, and then one of their range extenders. I'm in the USA and I thought maybe that was the issue for lack of communications, but it appears to be a global problem.

Folks, can anyone advise on a speed dongle issue Ive got. I fitted the @Volabike dongle today. I have fitted it on my Orbed Gain. The connection into the dongle is quite hard to do and and I struggled to get it to work. When it is connected the ebikemotion speed shows 9mph as soon as the system is turned on. It doesn't change when I ride the bike. I have reset the speedo and unplugged the dongle but as soon as I power up again the speedo just displays 9mph, nothing else.
Im a bit disappointed with it to be honest

Folks, can anyone advise on a speed dongle issue Ive got. I fitted the @Volabike dongle today. I have fitted it on my Orbed Gain. The connection into the dongle is quite hard to do and and I struggled to get it to work. When it is connected the ebikemotion speed shows 9mph as soon as the system is turned on. It doesn't change when I ride the bike. I have reset the speedo and unplugged the dongle but as soon as I power up again the speedo just displays 9mph, nothing else.
Im a bit disappointed with it to be honest
That's how it is, set a constant speed as soon as you turn on the bike, they all work the same

That's how it is, set a constant speed as soon as you turn on the bike, they all work the same
Thanks for that. So you have to use an additional device (Garmin etc) in place of the ebikemotion unit? Do you know whether the other functions on the ebikemotion head unit still work ok I'm thinking particularly the range and the battery level indicator

Thanks for that. So you have to use an additional device (Garmin etc) in place of the ebikemotion unit? Do you know whether the other functions on the ebikemotion head unit still work ok I'm thinking particularly the range and the battery level indicator
Everything else works fine, the only thing that doesn't work properly is the speed, which is always constant, and the kilometers traveled.

Everything else works fine, the only thing that doesn't work properly is the speed, which is always constant, and the kilometers traveled.
Ah right, so guessing that makes the auto upload of the ride to Strava a bit of a waste of time I guess

I power up my Gain after I've powered up my Garmin unit first so that the Garmin unit uses the wheel speed sensor and GPS to register accurate speed. If you power the Gain first the Garmin unit uses it's speed signal and of course like you found out the unit just tricks the Gain controller into thinking it's going 9mph all the time. That's how all these devices work. It's really quite simple and there's no magic to it. All other functions on the Orbea display will give the correct results.

I power up my Gain after I've powered up my Garmin unit first so that the Garmin unit uses the wheel speed sensor and GPS to register accurate speed. If you power the Gain first the Garmin unit uses it's speed signal and of course like you found out the unit just tricks the Gain controller into thinking it's going 9mph all the time. That's how all these devices work. It's really quite simple and there's no magic to it. All other functions on the Orbea display will give the correct results.
Ah right, thanks for the tip on that. Im going to give the tuner device a try and if I don't get on with it I think it will be appearing one bay

Well Ive tried the @Volabike speed dongle today. What a disappointment. I fitted it properly to the bike, hiding the wiring. I turned the bike on and this time the ebikemotion head unit showed 44mph. The motor assistance did not work at all. I took it apart again and pushed it together carefully making sure arrows lined up and plugs pushed in up to the line. it worked on the workshop stand so I slotted the extra wire into the frame. turned the bike on. Nothing at all. I tried numerous times, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt.

Im presuming there is a fault somewhere in the wiring in the dongle. It looks like ive all the trouble of returning it to Spain.

Well Ive tried the @Volabike speed dongle today. What a disappointment. I fitted it properly to the bike, hiding the wiring. I turned the bike on and this time the ebikemotion head unit showed 44mph. The motor assistance did not work at all. I took it apart again and pushed it together carefully making sure arrows lined up and plugs pushed in up to the line. it worked on the workshop stand so I slotted the extra wire into the frame. turned the bike on. Nothing at all. I tried numerous times, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt.

Im presuming there is a fault somewhere in the wiring in the dongle. It looks like ive all the trouble of returning it to Spain.
Are you sure that you have the connections indexed properly? If you saw 9.9mph when you tried it originally, then something went wrong when you disconnected and reconnected. Mine works fine, but I have a 2020 model and I think the 2021 and newer use a slightly different dongle because the Gain's electronics changed.

Just following up on my posts about the problem I’m having with my @Volabike speed dongle. This is what is happening

Connect dongle and the motor will work. Turn off the bike and turn back on again and the motor doesn’t work. The dongle will only work for the first time the bike is turned on, once I’ve turned the bike off the motor won’t work when I turn the bike back on again

The bike is a 2022 model and according to my invoice that is the dongle I should have been sent

After lodging a pal pal dispute on 21 Nov and @Volabike ignoring any sort of communication even to the point of refusing to accept the returned package and "returned to sender" Pal pal settled the dispute in my favour thankfully.
What a shower of 5hite volabike are. Horrendous service and zero comms

After lodging a pal pal dispute on 21 Nov and @Volabike ignoring any sort of communication even to the point of refusing to accept the returned package and "returned to sender" Pal pal settled the dispute in my favour thankfully.
What a shower of 5hite volabike are. Horrendous service and zero comms
Could you carefully open it up and post some pictures of the insides? I presume they will have some capacitors in it and that's it. No "firmware"...

A long thread with lots of useful stuff. Thanks everyone.
My takeaway is that the X35 with the dongle available from Spain/Australia or elsewhere will take an EU limited motor to about 30 km/h with the added benefit (to some) of a less obvious cutoff from the motor when it hits its assist limit.
Any more feedback from anyone who has purchased the dongle?

A long thread with lots of useful stuff. Thanks everyone.
My takeaway is that the X35 with the dongle available from Spain/Australia or elsewhere will take an EU limited motor to about 30 km/h with the added benefit (to some) of a less obvious cutoff from the motor when it hits its assist limit.
Any more feedback from anyone who has purchased the dongle?
A friend bought a dongle but got rid of it after a few rides.
His computer (PulsarOne) didn't work well with the dongle cable, and the cables also bothered him.
I haven't read a rave review yet. I think it's a useless thing.

A friend bought a dongle but got rid of it after a few rides.
His computer (PulsarOne) didn't work well with the dongle cable, and the cables also bothered him.
I haven't read a rave review yet. I think it's a useless thing.
Some garmins seem to work ok, though. And there are a few decent reviews - but also some glaringly bad ones. Hard to separate out people who had higher expectations to those who really have every reason to be disappointed (e.g. USA/Can etc.)

Some garmins seem to work ok, though. And there are a few decent reviews - but also some glaringly bad ones. Hard to separate out people who had higher expectations to those who really have every reason to be disappointed (e.g. USA/Can etc.)
As far as I know, Garmin works only with 3rd party app, which do not take the speed info from e-Bikemotion system (like e.g. Wahoo do explicitely), but from external speed sensor or GPS. Assistance level (power) above 25 km/h is negligible. In my opinion, the dongle is not worth the money, I tested it long time ago and finally sold to forum member from US, who was still interested.

Back