Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

I have one of these now on my Schindelhauer bike, it’s connected fine and the app speedo is cut in half as suggested by the documentation, but it doesn’t feel much different.

I did a few runs with it on and off, using a gps speedo on my phone. Without it was 15mph.. with 16mph with similar low effort pedalling on max assist.

Quite underwhelming. Had to substantially pedal to get above 16mph.

Does this chime with your experience? I may be expecting too much from it, as my other bike is a Bosch motor with a tuner on it and that pulls you up to 23mph with minimal effort.

Obviously the x35+ is nowhere near that powerful, but I was hoping for a bit more than a slight improvement in pace for similar effort.
I don't know if it makes sense to invest to the dongle increase the speed by a few km.
and tackle another device that is not compatible with PulsarOne which I would not change.
After all, a speed of 25 km is sufficient for a cyclist and even a professional cyclist would not go uphill faster.

I don't know if it makes sense to invest to the dongle increase the speed by a few km.
and tackle another device that is not compatible with PulsarOne which I would not change.
After all, a speed of 25 km is sufficient for a cyclist and even a professional cyclist would not go uphill faster.

To you maybe, but to me it does. And many others, why else are these things popular. You’re posting in a thread dedicated to them after all. Who cares what professional cyclists do, I just want to cycle to work a bit faster.

At the minute it does not achieve that, I’m wondering if it’s faulty or something. Which is why I’m asking for peoples thoughts who have used them.

At the minute it does not achieve that, I’m wondering if it’s faulty or something. Which is why I’m asking for peoples thoughts who have used them.
I‘m afraid your experience ties in with many others on this and other forums. Some are happy with getting an extra 2kmh or so, others are not. The companies generally only claim 2-3kmh though…They also reduce or remove the on-off surging sensation at 25kmh in level 3 from what I’ve read.

after reinstalling, the system works, I easily reach 32 km/h and I feel the thrust, but at times I have the impression that the system disconnects below 24 km/h but to check, I have went on a very windy outing, my gps did not work properly , I think there is not much influence on the battery range , to check too , satisfied with my purchase
after 2 weeks of use, I can say that this system is brilliant, I easily reach above 35 km/h on the flat, without feeling any sudden cuts, even downhill the speed is much higher, uphill (in my corner there is only that) there is also a slight plus, I caught up and left behind a guy who had the same ebikemotion system, I do not regret the 100 € investment

Any news from CTX35H ?

I would really like to unlock the speed of my orbea vibe to 30-35.
There are many places where i end up in the traffic since we miss cycling lanes, but at 20-25 cars still want to overpass me, at 30-35 they won't since their speed is usually around 35-40.

What "wjc" presents - it may be an exception, but my friend sold the dongle - at 30 km/h. did not even touch and had a problem with PulsarOne.
But will it be interesting how the dongle will work on the new X20 engine?

Hi Guys. I bought an Ebikemotion X35 tuner for my Austrian friend's Aria E-road from VOLABIKE. It arrived and I helped Alexander to connect it to his bike. But the tuner's connection did not fit properly. (We ordered the tuner specific for Aria.)
Volabike sent a new tuner. It also did not connect well. The engine stopped working. We returned the two dongles, and there is NO answer form Volabike since 2 weeks. And NO money returned. They dont even reply for our emails. Do you guys have any experience with Volabike?

Hi there, can someone confirm the volabike x35+ tuner will work fine on an Orbea Vibe H10 2021 please. I'm assuming it does but the volabike website doesn't specifically list this model. I've mailed volabike twice, once by direct email and then through their contact form on their website and had no reply 🤔

Also if I fit the tuner and then take it off, would that be detectable in some event log?

We have answered to you email today (friday was local holiday here).
Regards.
Hi Volabike

Could you reply to me too, please? I want to buy from you but I need your answers first. You can reply here if it's easier.

Ta

I did wonder? If the cassette lock ring was a bigger diameter with more magnets spaced at the same as existing one. Move the sensor out a little.

I did wonder? If the cassette lock ring was a bigger diameter with more magnets spaced at the same as existing one. Move the sensor out a little.
LOL I'd think you'd want fewer magnets I believe... so the sensors think the wheel is rotating slower than it actually is (but realize that people who have removed magnets have found that the sensor then no longer works). Actually, I dont think the magnets do anything other than serve as a kind of on/off switch - IE detect pedal input.

I have both the Volabike and Australian cable... I feel power beyond the standard cutoff (20 MPH here in the US) all the way to 25 or 27MPH but its very very limited above 20.5 MPH. I just did a ride with the app in Engineering mode. Despite the speed being shown at a constant 10mph (due to the cables) the amps dropped way off the moment I approached 20MPH. If I coasted down a hill at say 18mph and pedaled slowly, I could see output of about 4.5 amps, I got to a max load of about 8.5 amps going about 12mph up a hill with cadence in the mid-80s, but if I was going over 20mph down a hill in that same gear ratio where I could spin the pedals at the same mid-80s cadence I could see output of only 0.3 amps. I believe this is something like 8 to 10 watts.

So despite the cable's speed signal over-ride, the systems controller knows what the wheel and motor is actually doing. I think the only way to get around the speed limit would be to wire a new controller into the system or maybe substitute the controller and motor with Bafang equipment - and most Bafang controllers are pretty large.

Last edited:
Reactions: DM_
@Volabike I've sent you a mail about an X35 order. Seems noone is really answering the mail or picking up my order :(

order no #4421​

Hi,
I've tried the new version of Volabike x35+ tuner and it seems it divides the real speed by 3 and sends that data to the motor. Which is good enough on flat roads but on hills (since your speed falls below 18 km/h) the motor reads 6 and below -» the assist basically becomes around 40% (max voltage is around 2-2.5A) regardless what you do.
So this definitely needs some more work. Now in discussion with volabike about a solution/refund.
What would be good is to keep the original powercurve and maybe allow 60-80% max above 25 km/h and gradually reduce it till 30 and cut off above it.

Ok I think I have waited enough. @Volabike as company and as customer service is a joke and almost like a scam. I've ordered the speed limiter fix that has arrived on time. End of the good side of the story.
Turned out it divides speed by 3 , which means our bianchi impulso barely has torque during climbing (anything below 18 km/h) a.k.a. it does not help at all.
I've tried to contact @Volabike on multiple channels, after a few days they have responded to whatsapp and promised an updated firmware in a week. This never happened, they never came back nor answered mails or messages.
As a last resort together with my lawyer asked them to provide an address for returning the device and opted for a refund. I've sent the device back, they have received it on Oct-3, signed by José Broceta. Since then noone has contacted me nor started the refund process.
So if possible please avoid buying anything from them, I can just hope I'll get back my money. If not we will start a legal process at the spanish customer rights protection.

Back