Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

FedEx will fly lithium batteries and operate here in Spain…but I guess if he says no…

FedEx will fly lithium batteries and operate here in Spain…but I guess if he says no…
Not sure, but even so FedEx slaps shipments to the US with the same huge import and brokerage fees that the recipient here has to pay or they won't deliver. The US Postal Service is the only one that doesn't charge anything, so it's obviously just a cash grab by UPS and FedEx.

I finally gave up on trying to order an extender from Volabike to the UK as after numerous emails they never managed to send me an invoice without Spanish VAT added, although they had suggested this initially. As I understand matters I could have ended up paying both Spanish and UK VAT and import duty, which I wasn't prepared to risk doing. I may be wrong - post Brexit the situation of imports to the UK from the EU is very confused.
I have finally purchased a Mahle Range Extender, although I prefer the Volabike design.

I'm trying to find out what the UPS is actually going to charge for import and brokerage fees. They really don't want you to easily find out and just want to surprise you in a bad way it appears. Best I can tell it will be at least $75, maybe closer to $100. At that point I'd be spending just as much as the factory Orbea extender will cost me.

I reached out to Volabike asking if they had shipped to someone in the US already, and if so maybe they could reach out and ask how much UPS charged them before they could receive the delivery. It's quite possible that I'm the first in the US to attempt this I'm afraid.

I finally gave up on trying to order an extender from Volabike to the UK as after numerous emails they never managed to send me an invoice without Spanish VAT added, although they had suggested this initially. As I understand matters I could have ended up paying both Spanish and UK VAT and import duty, which I wasn't prepared to risk doing. I may be wrong - post Brexit the situation of imports to the UK from the EU is very confused.
I have finally purchased a Mahle Range Extender, although I prefer the Volabike design.
Where did you get your range extender? I have been unable to find them in the usa.

I reached out to Volabike asking if they had shipped to someone in the US already, and if so maybe they could reach out and ask how much UPS charged them before they could receive the delivery. It's quite possible that I'm the first in the US to attempt this I'm afraid.
He said they've never sold to anyone in the US before, so they have no idea how much UPS is going to charge me. UPS won't give me an answer either. So I can bite the bullet and pay whatever they charge, (Surprise!) or just cancel the order.

I'm in the UK. they can be ordered direct from Orbea, and their dealers. Other retailers also stock them as they can be used with any X35 equipped ebike. Ribble for example.
I see they are in Stock at Ribble but no one in the UK will ship to the USA. I have been told maybe in March they will arrive in the USA.

Hi All, I did an extended test ride an Orbea Gain M30. Pretty nice, but when grinding up a climb out of the saddle with the assist on, the power would sometimes cut out mid-stroke. It was definitely an unpleasant experience and the guys in the shop were able to duplicate it. Is this normal for this system? Never had that happen on other ebikes.

The other thing was a noticeable amount of drag trying to slow me down when coasting or just slowly spinning the cranks when travelling over the 20mph limit. Does the amount of assist you have programmed into each step have any bearing on this?
Hi. I have the same issue with my ebike motion x35 engine. On steep climbs the engine cuts out for one or two seconds randomly. Did you find any solution for this? Many thanks! Peter

Last edited:
I made my own range extender. It works, and I’m glad I didn’t pay over the odds for a low capacity battery charger that Ebikemotion sell for crazy money. I made a how-to vid, this is it, no fee. Suitable batteries are on AliExpress from 22bucks. Don’t get ripped off. After I made the vid I had lots of guys comment to say they had done the same, years ago. Happy to answer questions.

Oh, you don’t have to watch all the guff, jump to the schematic at the end for what you need and how to make it.

Hi. I have the same issue with my ebike motion x35 engine. On steep climbs the engine cuts out for one or two seconds randomly. Did you find any solution for this? Many thanks! Peter
Are you sure it was 1-2 seconds? I had a problem with the motor cutting out on climbs but is was only for a small fraction of a second. You can see a visual representation of it in the ebikemotion app. I guess it's now called the my-smartbike app. Anyway, if you look at a ride on which it happened, click on "Map and charts", the Power Consumed chart will show the power cutout where the power drops to zero. For me, the cutout was never more than 2 or 3 hundredths of a second.

This happened to me on my first Bianchi, sometimes multiple times on a ride and even multiple times on the same hill...extremely annoying! Bianchi replaced my battery twice, which didn't fix it. Eventually Bianchi replaced the whole bike. The 6 to 8 month long experience made me a happy Bianchi customer, but I must say it left me with nothing positive to say about MAHLE's customer service.

Are you sure it was 1-2 seconds? I had a problem with the motor cutting out on climbs but is was only for a small fraction of a second. You can see a visual representation of it in the ebikemotion app. I guess it's now called the my-smartbike app. Anyway, if you look at a ride on which it happened, click on "Map and charts", the Power Consumed chart will show the power cutout where the power drops to zero. For me, the cutout was never more than 2 or 3 hundredths of a second.

This happened to me on my first Bianchi, sometimes multiple times on a ride and even multiple times on the same hill...extremely annoying! Bianchi replaced my battery twice, which didn't fix it. Eventually Bianchi replaced the whole bike. The 6 to 8 month long experience made me a happy Bianchi customer, but I must say it left me with nothing positive to say about MAHLE's customer service.
Hi. Yes. Its like one second. Maybe less. The engine stops, I saw it on the old app. (The new app unfortunately does not display it). Its very annoying, yes... They cahnged my battery too but did not solve problem...

Volabike release the speed dongle compatible wirh X35+ Ebikemotion / Mahle system.

X35p-768x576.jpg

It is available on Volabike website:

VOLABIKE X35+ SPEED DONGLE

I have ordered one unit. Will post results soon.
hello, I bought a dongle from Volabike, but it doesn't work, I installed it as indicated and turned the system on, as soon as I pedal the IWOC system starts flashing purple and puts the bike out of order, conclusion: totally ineffective and useless

hello, I bought a dongle from Volabike, but it doesn't work, I installed it as indicated and turned the system on, as soon as I pedal the IWOC system starts flashing purple and puts the bike out of order, conclusion: totally ineffective and useless
Are you sure that you bought the correct dongle for your year and model bike? I have one, and it works as expected without faulting the system.

We recommend you to check connectors of the bike are fully inserted on the speed dongle.
We had in the past a couple of persons reporting the same problem and finally it was solved, connecting and disconnecting cables on the dongle until the get fully inserted.

We recommend you to check connectors of the bike are fully inserted on the speed dongle.
We had in the past a couple of persons reporting the same problem and finally it was solved, connecting and disconnecting cables on the dongle until the get fully inserted.
after reinstalling, the system works, I easily reach 32 km/h and I feel the thrust, but at times I have the impression that the system disconnects below 24 km/h but to check, I have went on a very windy outing, my gps did not work properly , I think there is not much influence on the battery range , to check too , satisfied with my purchase

after reinstalling, the system works, I easily reach 32 km/h and I feel the thrust, but at times I have the impression that the system disconnects below 24 km/h but to check, I have went on a very windy outing, my gps did not work properly , I think there is not much influence on the battery range , to check too , satisfied with my purchase

I have one of these now on my Schindelhauer bike, it’s connected fine and the app speedo is cut in half as suggested by the documentation, but it doesn’t feel much different.

I did a few runs with it on and off, using a gps speedo on my phone. Without it was 15mph.. with 16mph with similar low effort pedalling on max assist.

Quite underwhelming. Had to substantially pedal to get above 16mph.

Does this chime with your experience? I may be expecting too much from it, as my other bike is a Bosch motor with a tuner on it and that pulls you up to 23mph with minimal effort.

Obviously the x35+ is nowhere near that powerful, but I was hoping for a bit more than a slight improvement in pace for similar effort.

Back