Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

I received the dongle from Australia this past Monday, it was easy to install, and I've done two rides since. Both rides were in cold and windy conditions so I consider these preliminary results. It was hard to tell at times if I reached the cutoff or if it was the wind.

Note that I'm in the US, riding a 2019 US-spec Gain M20i, with a 20 MPH cutoff (32 KMPH).

It appears I'm getting about 1 mph out of the dongle. And the assist just drops off at the point, there's no ramp-down. Looking at the eBikemotion app on my phone, the speed is always 10.4 mph, even when the bike is stopped.

My belief is that there is a failsafe parameter being sent from the hub motor to the controller that the dongle has not accommodated. Probably motor RPM. So the dongle tricks the controller into thinking that the speed is 10.4 mph, but once the motor RPM is exceeded, the controller cuts off the power.

I'm hoping to ride today and tomorrow, and will mount my phone to the handlebar so I can see more accurately where the assist drops off, via the app. And via my legs of course.
Strange. You hav a different dongle the me. On mise the ebikemotion app shows the real speed up to 16kmh and then even if I accelerate it does not go over 17 kmh

I just bought the speed dongle and range extender at Volabike. Just received them today (Belgium). Will test them once the snow is gone in the streets in Belgium ;-) and will give feedback. Price for speed dongle is much cheaper than the competitors, it is only 99€ shipping included so that' s only 20-22€ per extra speed km ;-). Once I' ve test driven it on my Orbea gain carbon I will give feedback.
Hi - did you manage to test the dongle at Volabike. I also just ordered one. How do you experience the dongle? In the Netherlands, snow is gone, so hope you have been able to test it in Belgium :)? Thanks!

Hi - did you manage to test the dongle at Volabike. I also just ordered one. How do you experience the dongle? In the Netherlands, snow is gone, so hope you have been able to test it in Belgium :)? Thanks!
Have done in the meantime +/- 200 km test rides with the dongle from Volabike. It does what it claims : in my case extended assistance till +/- 29,6 km/u. It is clearly noticeable. It is very difficult to have an objective "feeling" if the assistance is "as much" between 25 - 29 km/u as below because there are so many parameters which has an influence on this because physical resistance is automatically also higher on higher speeds. My subjective feeling is that there is not that much difference in assistance between de 3 different levels which seems that the extra assistance is more an "evenly" or "flat" one. With the Volabike dongle the speed on the Ebikemotion app stays on 15,6 km/h if you are in movement or not. I also have Bosch Cx gen4 e-bike as also a fazua e-bike and although these can be "fully" unlimited tuned, you also notice that the motor has to work much harder once passed a certain speed even tough those motors have much higher NM/torque. As already mentioned many times before : the detuning solution for an X35 is completely different compared to al the other brands where you can completely (or at least x2) detune the limit. Due to the construction of the X35, the only best thing to tune a X35 are the available dongles which give you an increase of 4 à 5 km/h. You can' t expect more (and in my honest opinion there will be no better solution in the future due to the way an x35 works. BUT I think that for only 99 € (Volabike is the cheapest I found on the market!) this is a very good solution and certainly worth the money : these + 4à 5 km/h extra assistance certainly make my rides more confortable. I will post in the future my experience with the range extender from Volabike

Have done in the meantime +/- 200 km test rides with the dongle from Volabike. It does what it claims : in my case extended assistance till +/- 29,6 km/u. It is clearly noticeable. It is very difficult to have an objective "feeling" if the assistance is "as much" between 25 - 29 km/u as below because there are so many parameters which has an influence on this because physical resistance is automatically also higher on higher speeds. My subjective feeling is that there is not that much difference in assistance between de 3 different levels which seems that the extra assistance is more an "evenly" or "flat" one. With the Volabike dongle the speed on the Ebikemotion app stays on 15,6 km/h if you are in movement or not. I also have Bosch Cx gen4 e-bike as also a fazua e-bike and although these can be "fully" unlimited tuned, you also notice that the motor has to work much harder once passed a certain speed even tough those motors have much higher NM/torque. As already mentioned many times before : the detuning solution for an X35 is completely different compared to al the other brands where you can completely (or at least x2) detune the limit. Due to the construction of the X35, the only best thing to tune a X35 are the available dongles which give you an increase of 4 à 5 km/h. You can' t expect more (and in my honest opinion there will be no better solution in the future due to the way an x35 works. BUT I think that for only 99 € (Volabike is the cheapest I found on the market!) this is a very good solution and certainly worth the money : these + 4à 5 km/h extra assistance certainly make my rides more confortable. I will post in the future my experience with the range extender from Volabike
Excellent and much appreciated. In fact, this is exactly what i am looking for. I am definately not looking for a 'moped' experience with maximum torque to be able to ride 40kph wwith no effort, hence why i bought the Gain. The transition from 25-26kph always felt like a wall, so your feedback is promising. For me the Gain is a great ebike and made the hills/mountains easier as cardiac patient!

I also have ... a fazua e-bike

lucky22,
I'd be interested in your insights on the X-35 vis-a-vis the Fazua motor. I pieced together an assessment (relative to my particular condition) on paper, from charts. It's here as post #30: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/a-road-cyclist-thoughts-on-e-bikes.36503/page-2 .

Theoretical and actual don't always align, and your on-road experience with both motors would go a long way towards either validating or tempering my paper assessment. Thanks.

Anyone know who might stock the iWoc curved switch holder (the piece that screws to frame)

Attachments

• C0086462-D1F7-4946-B2EA-DE65E2FEAB7A.jpeg
    C0086462-D1F7-4946-B2EA-DE65E2FEAB7A.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 236
Hello. I am Tomas from Volabike. Thanks for using out product. If you have any question about the dongle / tuner or about the range extenders of 252Wh, 378Wh or 504Wh for ebikemotion systems, please tell me and I will try to answer. Thanks.

Hello. I am Tomas from Volabike. Thanks for using out product. If you have any question about the dongle / tuner or about the range extenders of 252Wh, 378Wh or 504Wh for ebikemotion systems, please tell me and I will try to answer. Thanks.
Thanks for your message. Yes maybe some questions:
- Is your unit the same as the Speedfun Ghost unit?
- Do you think one day you'll come out with a unit that will allow faster speeds than 29/30 kmh? If so, how fast ? Or is the ebikemotion motor not capable of higher speeds?
- Can you give prices for the different extenders including shipping to France?

Thank you very much!

Hello Tomas! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my tuner to arrive. I received my bike finally, and hopefully the tuner arrives in the US soon. It left Spain on the 16th, so it should be any day now!

esos extender bateria x35, no dan problemas de incompatibilidad con luz rosa parpadeante como los originales? no veo opiniones de clientes, si es que se han vendido,gracias

Early days, but significantly more speed does seem to be possible from the X35 motor (40+kmh). The solution is quite technical.

Currently working on a prototype that could be possible to productionize. Will not be answering any questions until closer to feasibility.

Thanks for your message. Yes maybe some questions:
- Is your unit the same as the Speedfun Ghost unit?
- Do you think one day you'll come out with a unit that will allow faster speeds than 29/30 kmh? If so, how fast ? Or is the ebikemotion motor not capable of higher speeds?
- Can you give prices for the different extenders including shipping to France?

Thank you very much!
We have not tested this other unit, but I supose both system use the same method to gain some speed.
The motor is able to reach more speed without problem. It is a limitation from the internal electronics. Our system is actually the easyest way to get more speed without modifying electronics from the bike, but we want to reach more speed if possible.
Prices for all volabike dongles for ebikemotion system are the same, 99€ for single units.

Hello Tomas! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my tuner to arrive. I received my bike finally, and hopefully the tuner arrives in the US soon. It left Spain on the 16th, so it should be any day now!
Hope it arrives soon. Please, let us know your impressions.

esos extender bateria x35, no dan problemas de incompatibilidad con luz rosa parpadeante como los originales? no veo opiniones de clientes, si es que se han vendido,gracias
Las baterías extenders de volabike se han probado en varios modelos con el sistema ebikemotion y no hemos tenido problemas de incompatibilidad con las bicicletas. Hemos vendido varios modelos de 252Wh, 378Wh y 502Wh y todos han funcionado correctamente.

Volabike battery extenders have been tested on ebikemotion system models, and we had no problems with these bikes. We have sold some 252Wh, 378Wh and 504Wh units and all of them are working fine.

Las baterías extenders de volabike se han probado en varios modelos con el sistema ebikemotion y no hemos tenido problemas de incompatibilidad con las bicicletas. Hemos vendido varios modelos de 252Wh, 378Wh y 502Wh y todos han funcionado correctamente.

Volabike battery extenders have been tested on ebikemotion system models, and we had no problems with these bikes. We have sold some 252Wh, 378Wh and 504Wh units and all of them are working fine.
Are the connectors the same on all bikes using the ebikemotion x35 motor? I mean, does the Cannondale SuperSix Evo Neo (the one I have) have the same connector than for example the Orbea gain? So your extenders are compatible with all of them?

Can you just recall the prices for the three extenders (including shipping to France) here please?

We have not tested this other unit, but I supose both system use the same method to gain some speed.
The motor is able to reach more speed without problem. It is a limitation from the internal electronics. Our system is actually the easyest way to get more speed without modifying electronics from the bike, but we want to reach more speed if possible.
Prices for all volabike dongles for ebikemotion system are the same, 99€ for single units.
So to reach higher speeds you would provide a replacement electronics for the bike? Would we be able to install that ourselves? Where is it located?

Thanks

Are the connectors the same on all bikes using the ebikemotion x35 motor? I mean, does the Cannondale SuperSix Evo Neo (the one I have) have the same connector than for example the Orbea gain? So your extenders are compatible with all of them?

Can you just recall the prices for the three extenders (including shipping to France) here please?
Yes, connectors are the same on all ebikemotion systems.

IMG_1918.JPG

For example, that´s the 378Wh model on a S size Orbea Gain. It has almost the double of Wh than the original model (208Wh). Installation is just install the battery cage with 2 screews and connect the extender to the charger port.
For this model, we provide a 3D printed part to improve the battery fix to the frame.

We can send you an offer. Send us a message or visit our contact form on our website www.volabike.com

So to reach higher speeds you would provide a replacement electronics for the bike? Would we be able to install that ourselves? Where is it located?

Thanks
It´s not a replacement of electronics. It´s more trying to avoid the limitation of power the system delivers when legal speed is reached.

Back