ebike withdrawal

DDBB

Haven't ridden in a few weeks now, northern Michigan. Icy roads, snow, slush, cold etc. etc.. yeah yeah I know, get studded tires good gloves and boots LOL. I love ebiking but not THAT much. I put on double the miles I would have ridden on my acoustic bike this summer, my first summer with an ebike. Only four more months and we'll be riding again. It was a fun summer with lots of trips to places with great bike trails and now we are feeling kind of lost without being able to go for even a short local ride every day

I'm over in Traverse City and feel exactly the same. I put more miles on it this year than my car but no winter riding for me.

I feel your pain. It seems like we got cheated out of Fall this year. Winter weather came way too early. Even the trees were confused. They didn't change color and drop their leaves in late Sept. through Oct. like they normally do. The leaves in my yard just came down this week. I cleaned them up from frost covered ground today wearing gloves and winter parka. I would definitely rather be riding my ebike!

We enjoy winter sports too so it's not all that bad but yeah, it seemed like all of a sudden the bike riding weather just ended here. Last year there were some decent days to ride in Nov. but not this year.

As the song " You must believe in Spring" goes... " When lonely feelings chill the meadows of your mind, Just think if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"

Last edited:
Been doing some short rides by myself if it's sunny, dry pavement, not windy and above 35F. If I had better shoes and gloves. Only toes and fingers get cold.

I remember when I was in my early 20's. A bunch of us at work signed up for ski lessons at the local bunny hill. Got hooked, and for the next 20 years, winters seemed too short. March would come and the season was over.

I'm out nearly every day. No ice on the road yet. Yeah it was cold, 11 deg, I wore clothes. I haven't had the carhart overpants on or the welder's hood in the helmet yet.
Put the battery away for winter though. I leave the bike locked to a pole at the volunteer job 4 hours sometimes; it might freeze. Not taking any 30 mile trips until it is warm enough to sleep at my summer camp w/o heat. 55 deg is my limit for that.
BTW, this is as far north as I'm going to live. The summer camp is too far north; they get twice the snow we do only 24 miles away. *****y plow work out there, too. Population density 1/100000th of this city. I'm thinking of getting a steel bus or container to live in out there to keep the raccoon from chewing it's way into my trailer. There is always a chipmunk cache of empty shells on my couch and usually a mouse creche in the organ or piano. 2 years ago the raccoon chewed the top off two liters of diet orange soda and spilled it all over the floor. I don't have running water, the pipes froze up 15 years ago. 4 years ago the raccoon pried the popcorn tin open and spread bits of cookie wrapper all over the L.R. There was a nice abandoned SS SceniCruiser down near Cumberland Falls . . .
Don't talk to me of motor homes, they are made of particle board & fiberglass.

Last edited:
Still riding a lot here in Central IL. 23 deg F wind chill was the coldest. I bought some Specialized Element 2 gloves. 4 openings so the little and ring fingers nest together. I’m really impressed with them. Half way shopping for a smart trainer for indoor riding this year.

I'm probably done ebiking for the winter. Too cold, snowy, cold, icy, cold, and windy. 😄 Now my daily ride is on my recumbent exercise bike. Not much scenery in the basement but the TV works. Gotta' keep the legs in shape for when spring comes around.

Haven't ridden in a few weeks now, northern Michigan. Icy roads, snow, slush, cold etc. etc.. yeah yeah I know, get studded tires good gloves and boots LOL. I love ebiking but not THAT much. I put on double the miles I would have ridden on my acoustic bike this summer, my first summer with an ebike. Only four more months and we'll be riding again. It was a fun summer with lots of trips to places with great bike trails and now we are feeling kind of lost without being able to go for even a short local ride every day

Same here!
Was counting on a longer Fall but the weather gods disagreed.😢😠

I'm probably done ebiking for the winter. Too cold, snowy, cold, icy, cold, and windy. 😄 Now my daily ride is on my recumbent exercise bike. Not much scenery in the basement but the TV works. Gotta' keep the legs in shape for when spring comes around.

My local YMCA has a variety of spin classes. Of course not the same as outside riding but these classes are kind of fun.

Came back from a two week cruise and found my front yard covered in snow and ice. Oh well heading to biking mecca Dunedin, FL in a few weeks. It will be great to rotate the legs again.

Been doing some short rides by myself if it's sunny, dry pavement, not windy and above 35F. If I had better shoes and gloves. Only toes and fingers get cold.

I remember when I was in my early 20's. A bunch of us at work signed up for ski lessons at the local bunny hill. Got hooked, and for the next 20 years, winters seemed too short. March would come and the season was over.

Harry,
Similar situation here. Too chilly too cycle and no snow yet for cross country skiing.
You mentioned cold fingers and toes. Does your area sell the chemical toe warmers and hand warmers? These are fabulous little packets that you put in your shoes or mittens. They generate heat for 4-6 hours. I use them all the time, especially the toe warmers.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm beginning to feel ebike withdrawal too. The ebikes are in storage and I broke out the stationary bike. We had a great fall here in northeastern Pennsylvania though. I did 2000 miles this season, 600 in October alone. I put almost 10,000 miles on my pickup driving to some of the great trails we have here on the east coast.

The cold doesn't bother me as much as the snow & ice. I rode several times last winter on nearby snow covered forest roads. After a couple of nasty spills, I decided the risk wasn't worth it. At my age, thoughts of thrill & excitement are giving way to those of safety & mortality. I'm finally transitioning from a "what I can push myself to do" mentality to that of "what am I safely able to do". I wish ebikes were around 20 years ago.

Harry,
Similar situation here. Too chilly too cycle and no snow yet for cross country skiing.
You mentioned cold fingers and toes. Does your area sell the chemical toe warmers and hand warmers? These are fabulous little packets that you put in your shoes or mittens. They generate heat for 4-6 hours. I use them all the time, especially the toe warmers.
Regarding the toe warmers...where exactly do you put them? I need to start using them in my winter boots and I have heard they can get very hot. Would like not to burn my feet.

Toe warmers and hand warmers:
Yes, they can generate much heat. They are to be worn between your socks and your shoe. The trick is to use a medium to thick sock. Directly against the skin or wearing a thin summer sock could result in too much heat.

The instructions say to wear them directly under your toes but I prefer to wear them on top of my toes, again between the sock and shoe. Then they are less likely to bunch up.

The hand warmers I simply put into my mittens. Haven’t figured out how to use them with gloves.

In my area of the cold upper Midwest they are sold everywhere, sporting goods, hardware stores, even convenience stores. Can be purchased individually or in packages.

This is Amazon link so you can get a better idea. Many different brands too.

Maybe I’ll create a separate post.
Hope they help!

Back