Studded/Spiked and Other Winter E-Bike Tires (General Talk)

My solution to wearing out studs was to have them mounted on spare rims. Dry streets and they came off.
Totally on board with that. I also use the same dedicated wheels for swapping over to a set of deeper tread mud tires such as the Maxxis Shorties on days when the trails are a bit loose or sloppy. Definitely saves on time and effort.

Another tip for those running on studded tires is to periodically perform a quick stud check after rides. I occasionally find one or two that have been partially dislodged from the pre-drilled pockets and require re-seating with a proper insertion tool.

IMG_20211123_1639396.jpg

Prior to replacing any studs, ensure that the pocket itself is clean and free of any dirt/grit that would prevent the stud from being properly seated. Lubricating the stud/tool with isopropyl alcohol or plain water will help with reinserting the stud back into its pocket.

Seeing that we’re expecting snow next week, I thought that it might be an appropriate time to revive this thread. I just installed a set of Schwalbe ISP tires onto a dedicated winter wheelset of my Levo mullet with relative ease after I employed a different method than what I’ve been utilizing in the past. These bad boys can be notoriously difficult to mount on rims but it took me less than 5 minutes to fit each tire.

IMG_20221027_2302334.jpg

IMG_20221015_1138174.jpg

I began by taking a spare tire, folding it twice over itself and setting it underneath the cassette or non-rotor side in the case of the front wheel. NOTE: To begin with, it’s important to always have the bead initially installed on the driveside of the rear wheel and on the non-rotor side in the case of the front wheel. Placing one of my knees on a portion of the bead that is already seated I firmly grasp the other side of the bead with my hand similar to what is depicted in the image below.

side-knee-tire-w-lever--1170x780.jpg

Instead of using a regular plastic tire lever to pull the remaining unseated section over the rim, I found the Cushcore bead dropper to be best tool for the job. It’s sufficiently sturdy and durable that it won’t snap and its beefy rubberized ergo handle provides the leverage to complete the task. No risk in scratching the wheels either. Then it’s simply a matter of dropping the rest of the unseated bead onto the rim inch by inch with the bead dropper until its entirely mounted onto the rim. I strongly advise placing some padding under your knee to avoid any undue discomfort.

cushcore-cushcore-bead-dropper-tire-lever-701822997607-15626866032703_1800x1800.jpg

Call me a softy, but I don't ride in the winter. After a spring, summer and fall of riding tubeless, I'm going to prepare my bike for winter storage by removing the tires and cleaning out the sealant and blobs. I'll put tubes in and mount the tires again at 40-45psi. That way the tire bead might remember what the tire rim looked like next spring when I take out the tubes and replace the sealant. Does anybody else replace sealant with tubes for winter storage? It's really too bad that the rear wheel with the hub motor is such a PITA to get on and off. That's probably about the only benefit of a mid-frame mounted motor☺️.

Call me a softy, but I don't ride in the winter.
I agree that winter riding isn’t for everyone. For me it’s a way to occasionally escape the indoor trainer sessions and seek out the solitude that this time of year offers. As long as the snow isn’t too deep, I can ride the trails without another soul around and maybe even have a better opportunity to view the local wildlife up close.
GH011464_Moment.jpg

IMG_20220324_1013355.jpg

Back