Ebike Specific Chains for Mid-Drive Motors?

mail_e36

Hi friends,

I'm wondering if anyone uses an ebike-specific chain for their mid-drive ebikes?

I just noticed that KMC sells apparently an ebike specific chain, called the 'KMC e9 Sport 9-Speed E-Bike Chain'.

Any thoughts on this, or should I continue to use a standard bicycle KMC chain, which has a 'strength' rating of 3/5, per the manufacturer listing on the box?

I feel like this may handle tension better, perhaps? Any input would be highly appreciated :)

Attachments

• ebike chain.png
    ebike chain.png
    823.4 KB · Views: 166
I only tested this once. I have use shimano and KMC regular 10 speed chains and one shimano e bike chain. I get 2000 to 2500 miles on a chain depending on how much rain I ride in. but the ebike chain gave me an extra 500 miles but it is almost twice the price. so I never found it worth the extra cost.

I only tested this once. I have use shimano and KMC regular 10 speed chains and one shimano e bike chain. I get 2000 to 2500 miles on a chain depending on how much rain I ride in. but the ebike chain gave me an extra 500 miles but it is almost twice the price. so I never found it worth the extra cost.
Great input, are you riding a hub drive or mid drive motor?

2,000+ miles is very impressive!

I have flat foot bikes with BBS01 350 and 500W motors that use 132L chains. I buy cheap chains and because I’m a careful shifter the last for several thousand miles. I bought a couple of whipperman Connex eBike chains but had to go back to OEM chainrings to use them. The didn’t run on narrow wide bling rings from Lekkie or Luna.

My Trek has a mid drive Bosch system. The original chain (cassette and derailleur) needed replacement at 1,200 miles. I switched to Trek’s ebike chain. @3,300 miles I replaced the cassette again, but the chain is showing no wear, now @ 4,500 miles. I clean it every 300 miles.

My Trek has a mid drive Bosch system. The original chain (cassette and derailleur) needed replacement at 1,200 miles. I switched to Trek’s ebike chain. @3,300 miles I replaced the cassette again, but the chain is showing no wear, now @ 4,500 miles. I clean it every 300 miles.
your cassette is wearing pretty fast. I got 14k on my last cassette and 2000 miles a chain.

your cassette is wearing pretty fast. I got 14k on my last cassette and 2000 miles a chain.
Yes, the cassette wore faster than anticipated, (it was a SRAM) however, it could be my riding style. I ride turbo only, usually riding >27mph and averaging over 20mph. My Trek service manager advised me to start in lower gears but rarely do I shift lower than 7 on my 9 speed. I don’t mind spending a few bucks now and then for the thrill of the ride. (I am 71 yrs old — gotta ride while I still can!)

I just replaced my chain with the KMC 11 speed e bike specific chain. We will see what happens. Up until now I have been using Shimano 105 11 speed chains and getting 2,200 miles or so. I have a BBSHD mid drive and 300 lb of me and the bike. I am a power hog often pulling 400-600 watts continuous on some rides. Lots of climbing.
I tend to wear out 11 and 13 tooth cogs. Right now I have a 9 speed 13 tooth that seems to shift okay. It's from a worn out XTR cassette.

Yes, the cassette wore faster than anticipated, (it was a SRAM) however, it could be my riding style. I ride turbo only, usually riding >27mph and averaging over 20mph. My Trek service manager advised me to start in lower gears but rarely do I shift lower than 7 on my 9 speed. I don’t mind spending a few bucks now and then for the thrill of the ride. (I am 71 yrs old — gotta ride while I still can!)
hey as long as you have the balls to do it why not?

I'm 70 and am just now changing the cassette on my 2016 Haibike Trekking with Bosch at 7,000 miles. I'm not in a hurry when riding for exercise and pleasure.

Wow, riding style seems to be huge factor when choosing a chain! Not sure if E-Bike specific would be worth it for me.

Hi friends,

I'm wondering if anyone uses an ebike-specific chain for their mid-drive ebikes?

I just noticed that KMC sells apparently an ebike specific chain, called the 'KMC e9 Sport 9-Speed E-Bike Chain'.

Any thoughts on this, or should I continue to use a standard bicycle KMC chain, which has a 'strength' rating of 3/5, per the manufacturer listing on the box?

I feel like this may handle tension better, perhaps? Any input would be highly appreciated :)

I'll point out that motorcycle chains are stronger than bicycle chains for a reason. The torque coming out of a gasoline engine will stress the mechanical components of a weaker chain and break it at the weakest link. Guaranteed every time.

Same deal with an ebike if you have my setup. I've been through at least 3 bicycle chains in the last month or so, usually the master link is pulled out enough to drop a link, then I'm DOA. I using single speed trannies with a 750 watt Bafang mid-engine, horizontal (sliding) dropouts to keep the chain tight. I'm eventually going to a Gates system for a belt drive just to avoid losing master links since I have a split in the frame chainstay. I'm tired of walking back home nursing a dead bike with broken chains. Yes it's great exercise but I'd like to plan all my long distance hiking with a scheduled time frame not on the unpredictable whims from weak chains on a bike. In the meantime, I'm going with KMC e1 chain designed specifically for ebikes, very pricey but it's a necessity with my ebike.

As the original poster, quick update from the last post:
I have switched to an ebike-rated chain (the one shown in image from post in 2022).
While I cannot say with certainty whether there is an actual difference, I feel like it's an inexpensive insurance policy against the (likely weaker?) non-ebike chain... either that or just good marketing on the part of KMC... LOL either way happy with the ebike chain connected to the Bafang Mid Drive.

I just went through my first KMC e bike 10 speed chain. I usually get 2000 miles on a chain and I got 3500. Plus since I needed a little longer chain I would have to use 1 and 1/3 chain with the e bike chain only one chain is needed.

Back