Ebike-Specific Chain Versus Regular Chain for Mid-Drive Ebike (Pictures!)

mail_e36

Friends,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with ebike-specific chains, specifically for mid-drive ebikes?

I finally installed the 'KMC e9 Sport 9-Speed E-Bike Chain' (along with a brand-new cassette), after riding 1,000 miles on a regular chain. My LBS said my regular chain was on its last leg at 1,000 miles. The bike is powered by the Bafang Ultra motor, but I'm always very careful shifting and usually don't give it a lot of torque.

On the attached images you'll see that the ebike-specific chain apparently has a higher 'Durability Factor', with a Level Five durability. A regular chain appears to have only a Level Three durability. Both chain are made by KMC. The ebike-specific chain is called 'E9', whereas the regular chain is called 'X9'.

Friends, are 'ebike chains' simply a ploy or gimmick for chain manufacturers to sell a higher priced chain to us, or is there an actual improvement in build quality and durability?

Please share your thoughts
, thanks! :)

Attachments

• Ebike Specific Chain Versus Regular Chain 1.jpg
    Ebike Specific Chain Versus Regular Chain 1.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Ebike Specific Chain Versus Regular Chain 2.jpg
    Ebike Specific Chain Versus Regular Chain 2.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 159
I tested the Shimano e bike chai9 the 10 speed. I averaged 2500 miles out of the regular chain and I got 3000 out of the e bike chain. so it was not worth the doubt price. but maybe on your motor it would make a difference.

Back