Ebike Chain Lubes

I am using White Lightning Epic Ride Lube which doubles as a waterproof lube for all other screws and things that may rust on the bike. This is one of the best lubes for all weather conditions and keeps dirt and grime away/waterproofs/lubes...it really is an all in one type of product and I am glad I found it.

Besides the chain and gears, I am using it on any screws or parts that got rust on them from rain and after the application I dont need to worry about water rusting those items any more. Its pretty nifty stuff as its wet, but dry in a sense.

Johnny,
Have you checked out UFO chain lube.
It's been around for a couple of years now.
I have never used it, too much for my blood.
Sounds impressive.
I'm still sticking with waxing for now.
Be well

Hi Elliot,

I didn't and like you I also find its price way too much. For professional cyclists it may make sense but it seems to be designed for just getting an additional watt or two rather then improving chain life.

My objective was to decrease drivetrain wear while having good re-lubing/waxing intervals and a clean drivetrain. Waxing seems very promising in achieving all of those.

What is your chain life for your waxed chains?

thank you

ki1a, thanks for the link. I think I'll order a bottle for this winter's rides. Right now I'm using Rock & Roll Gold Chain Lub.
this is my drivetrain with it after maybe 3000 miles just wipe the chain each time I apply it and a tiny bit of buildup on the jockey wheels.
IMG_1644.jpg

I am using White Lightning Epic Ride Lube which doubles as a waterproof lube for all other screws and things that may rust on the bike. This is one of the best lubes for all weather conditions and keeps dirt and grime away/waterproofs/lubes...it really is an all in one type of product and I am glad I found it.

Under what conditions have you used it? Rock n roll extreme makes similar claims but I found it not living up to those claims. A friend uses white lightning and is seemed very similar to rock n roll.

I've ridden thousands of miles with wax-based DuPont's Chain Saver. Super-quiet drivetrain and great wear.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B00KMMFE8Y

I clean the chain every so often with one of those cleaning gadgets filled with citrus degreaser followed by a water rinse.

The stretching of the chain sounds more like stress and load than lubricant.
I started using Chainsaver several weeks ago and so far I like what I see. This wax-based Teflon enhanced chain lube goes on wet and sets up dry to the touch. It repels water, grime and doesn't fling or drip. Recommend starting out with a clean drivetrain for best results. That being said, it's distributed by Finish Line so I can only speculate that it's based on the same formulation as their own line of Teflon dry lubricants. Chainsaver won't likely be found on the shelf of your LBS and I purchased an 11 oz. aerosol can for $14.99 Cdn at my local Lowes while browsing the hardware aisles. Since it's cheaper than the dedicated Finish Line product I'll likely keep using it.

http://www.performancelubricantsusa.com/files/DuP_InfoSheet_CHAIN SAVER_1511.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_20201009_1928024.jpg
    IMG_20201009_1928024.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 316
I have been using Muc-off Ceramic Dry for off-road conditions with good results... comes with a UV light to check coverage.

-Under what conditions you ride your bike - both on and off-road.
-How much does each application last - after 200 miles I wipe and reapply.
-The chain you use and the chain life you get - still on the original chain after 2,000 miles

1602365159115.png

Last edited:
Under what conditions have you used it? Rock n roll extreme makes similar claims but I found it not living up to those claims. A friend uses white lightning and is seemed very similar to rock n roll.
I get a week out of the blue with a couple three rain rides. the regular one good rain ride was it. so then it would need two coats a week with 125 miles.

my last chain was 2500 miles. but I lost track of this one when I changed displays. it may go longer as I have been using less assist.

foofer the problem is unless you measure the wear you can not know the real condition of the chain. What we mean by chain life here is the miles ridden until %0.5(11 speed and up) or %0.75(10 speed and less ) wear. You can ride a chain for 4k but it will be way past %1 elognation and you risk breakage + because your cassette is worn you will need to change them too.

foofer the problem is unless you measure the wear you can not know the real condition of the chain. What we mean by chain life here is the miles ridden until %0.5(11 speed and up) or %0.75(10 speed and less ) wear. You can ride a chain for 4k but it will be way past %1 elognation and you risk breakage + because your cassette is worn you will need to change them too.
I measure it don't worry. thats how I know I got 2500 miles on the east chain. but I used the trip odometer to keep track and my computer changed. this chain should outlast the last as I am using less assist and its a mid drive so it makes a big difference.

I measure it don't worry. thats how I know I got 2500 miles on the east chain. but I used the trip odometer to keep track and my computer changed. this chain should outlast the last as I am using less assist and its a mid drive so it makes a big difference.
Foof I have 3 mid drives , I have worn those 3 chains on my Bosch CX. The first two I used eco or none most of the time.

So it would be good if you be more specific, what motor does your bike have? How many gears and what was the wear at 2500 miles, (0.5,0.75 etc)? Which assist levels did you use? What was your + motor average power during this time? Average speed?

Most people with their Bosch CX get around 1200-1500miles per chain btw and I am trying to see what some people are doing different to get 2-3 times the chain life.

I use WD40
WD-40 Bike Wet Bike Chain Lubrication Canadian Tire

Can you also state:
-Under what conditions you ride your bike?
-How much does each application last?
-The chain you use and the chain life you get.

It would be great if everyone who makes a recommendation also give these additional information so that we have a good database here.

Can you also state:
-Under what conditions you ride your bike?
-How much does each application last?
-The chain you use and the chain life you get.

It would be great if everyone who makes a recommendation also give these additional information so that we have a good database here.
Good point... I'll also add to my post.

Foof I have 3 mid drives , I have worn those 3 chains on my Bosch CX. The first two I used eco or none most of the time.

So it would be good if you be more specific, what motor does your bike have? How many gears and what was the wear at 2500 miles, (0.5,0.75 etc)? Which assist levels did you use? What was your + motor average power during this time? Average speed?

Most people with their Bosch CX get around 1200-1500miles per chain btw and I am trying to see what some people are doing different to get 2-3 times the chain life.
I have the performance speed. this chain I was in tour almost always. but I had been using a little more eco. I would say I was putting out around 150 watts. I didn't to have my watt meter then. the first chain I only got 1200 the second 2500 it is a Shimano 9 speed e bike chain. this one I am on now is the same. the lat two did not have many rain rides so I don't know how much that added. the chain I have on now has 2300. I changed the chain at .5 the first one was way too warn at 1200 out e tandem has two 9 speed chains on it and a performance motor and it has has 2000 on it now and they are fine. been using rock and roll yellow every hundred miles or so or after rain. I will be changing to the blue stuff soon.

it is a Shimano 9 speed e bike chain. this one I am on now is the same.
Thank you. Now it makes sense.

9 speed chains (like 7-8 speeds single speed being the most durable) are significantly stronger/more durable than their 10+ speed counterparts. They are also cheaper.

The chains I have mentioned are all 10-11 speeds and the 1200-1500 range is for the 10 speeds I have ridden(all are KMC ebike chains and I am honestly feeling like it is more like ripping customers off, most of Shimano chains are now also ebike rated but their prices are the same as their non-ebike counterparts).

-I get approx. 1500 to 2500 miles, Shimano HG52 or KMC Z9 from AliExpress. In my experience, KMC tend to last longer.

Also, keep in mind that I have hub drive, which is easier on chain.. and I have cadence sensor, which is easier on chain than torque sensor.

Thank you, honestly I would expect more from a 9 speed on a hub motor but again riding conditions makes a huge difference.

My measurements were all on mid drives but the current one is on a hub motor and I will see how much improvement there will be.

I think I could have used the chain a little longer if I wanted to, but I have this chain wear indicator tool and change my chain as soon as it hits around 0.75 or 1.00
In my experience it is not worth trying to keep the chain longer unless you have a cheap cassette and front chainring that you simply like to change together.

I guess I goofed my commuter is 10 speed. so I got 2500 miles on a ten speed chain. but the first chain I only got 1200 not sure if it was al lets rain and a wet lube my use of turbo almost the whole time or a combo.

Back