Ebike battery charging

teskow

Does anybody have any idea that if one charges an ebike battery in short segments of say an hour at a time until it is charged if it is better for the battery? I am thinking that a cool down between charges the BMS may have time to balance the cells and they would cool too. My thinking is that if charged in one steady charge everything gets pretty darn hot so a cool down may be a better way. Crazy thinking?

Does anybody have any idea that if one charges an ebike battery in short segments of say an hour at a time until it is charged if it is better for the battery? I am thinking that a cool down between charges the BMS may have time to balance the cells and they would cool too. My thinking is that if charged in one steady charge everything gets pretty darn hot so a cool down may be a better way. Crazy thinking?
that would not work and it would keep the batteries from getting balanced. only a full charge can balance batteries.

Only a battery BMS with built in balancing will balance the cells.
Your strategy will not help much with the standard 2a charging but would help a little on higher amperage charges that due cause batteries to heat up... But then you'd be defeating the point of having a higher amperage fast charger.
That said I don't bother with my eBikes 2a charger as the battery doesn't get warm at all during charges but I do implement that strategy with my 80v lawn equipment batteries as they get very warm during charges.
Not that they will balance, but managing heat will help them from falling out of balance.
Heat is the #1 enemy of batteries

What do you mean by "everything get's pretty damn hot"? My charger get fairly warm to the touch but not hot. The battery stays as cool to the touch throughout the process as it did before starting the charge. Once it's charged the charger shuts off and cools down.

A typical 2A charge for a 10A/hr to 20A/hr battery is already a super slow charge compared to all the lithium charger around us. No benefits to go slower !

Depending upon where your equipment was manufactured, it’s prototype sh/would have gone through rigorous testing in various environments. Follow the instructions within the owner’s manual. There could be temperature warnings if used in hot locations, etc.

Back