E-bike over first car?

HectorVanDyck

Hello everyone! My names Hector, Im new to the forum. This is my question:

So Ive been really interested in getting an ebike. I have high blood pressure and need to stay active and I dont have a license (never needed one because every job Ive ever had was always close to where ever I have lived) and I cant really afford a car anyways. (With all the extra expenses, gas, insurance ect...) I was looking into buying the Stromer ST2 but Im sure theirs better ones with more power, higher speed capability and possibly more range. Although I havent found any that can compare to the Stromer ST2 and the technology it has. But I am not to knowledged on ebikes so I figured I come here and ask. Is it a good idea buying an ebike over a car for my first real transportation?
I live on my own so I dont have to worry about not being able to transport people. All my friends have cars so no one ever asks me for rides. I cant afford a car due to all the extra expenses that come along with it. And when I go grocery shopping I literally just take a gym bag because I eat typically healthy (Im becoming vegan so my grocery list is small and always fits in my gym bag) And Im becoming more environmentally conscious as well. So whats the verdict, is an ebike a good enough transportation to buy as my main transportation? I also plan on moving to NY soon so I wont even need a car their anyways.
Thanks for the advice in advance!

Hi Hector, I would most definitely go for the ebike over a car if your circumstances allow it. One of the worst things i done was forsake a bicycle in my late teens for a car, if i were to do it over again i`d keep the bike and get a few miles in each week on it.
A car isn`t healthy especially when you get older, keep the bike and get the benefits of fresh air and exercise.

Hi Hector, I would most definitely go for the ebike over a car if your circumstances allow it. One of the worst things i done was forsake a bicycle in my late teens for a car, if i were to do it over again i`d keep the bike and get a few miles in each week on it.
A car isn`t healthy especially when you get older, keep the bike and get the benefits of fresh air and exercise.
Thanks for the response! Would you say the Stromer ST2 is a good choice or are their better ebikes for daily commuting/main transportation? Or are their better ebikes? And I was also wondering what is the fastest ebike? I wont be getting the fastest one for my first ebike but soon but I would like to start trail riding or just going down the highway at a nice speed thats faster than 28mph like the Stromer does.

I'm not a resident ebike expert on the models etc.... however, the choice of bike price-point/fancy-ness/features - relative to the environment of use......

If you need to travel through some tough areas, and lock the bike up in rough parts of town..... I would not use a high $ rig.
If you have hills to traverse this will affect the solution.
If you have long distance to travers this will be a facter.
If you want to go above 20mph continuous this will be a factor.
If you want more than 20 mile range this will be a factor.

Form what I've seen around here normal questions related to the above help with the rec for an ebike suitable for your SITUATION :)

***agreed on the healthy living associated with biking over driving......... I've been riding 400mi/mo since I got my sondors 3 mo's ago..... and I feel/look soo much better........ I WISH I could bike to work.. but 24 miles each/way through down town houston to the burbs through some seedy hoods would perhaps limit my remaining time on this planet ;)

I'm not a resident ebike expert on the models etc.... however, the choice of bike price-point/fancy-ness/features - relative to the environment of use......

If you need to travel through some tough areas, and lock the bike up in rough parts of town..... I would not use a high $ rig.
If you have hills to traverse this will affect the solution.
If you have long distance to travers this will be a facter.
If you want to go above 20mph continuous this will be a factor.
If you want more than 20 mile range this will be a factor.

Form what I've seen around here normal questions related to the above help with the rec for an ebike suitable for your SITUATION :)

***agreed on the healthy living associated with biking over driving......... I've been riding 400mi/mo since I got my sondors 3 mo's ago..... and I feel/look soo much better........ I WISH I could bike to work.. but 24 miles each/way through down town houston to the burbs through some seedy hoods would perhaps limit my remaining time on this planet ;)
Thanks! So would you say the Stromer ST2 covers all those factors? I live in Miami so their is no hills, no ghetto areas to ride through, and I definitely want it to go faster than 20mph. The Stromer ST2 goes 28 and has a 50-80 mile range so I think that would work. My job is 7 miles away. I think the Stromer could handle that, do you?

Hi Hector, welcome to the forum. You have one very nice e-bike on the top of your list. The 1st E-bike I ever owned was an St2. Words cannot fully describe the sheer joy of riding one. I can't wait for the next time. I make up things I need to do , just to get back in the saddle. I was where you are a yr. ago researching for an e-bike. After lots of study all things pointed to an St2. I'm happy with mine, BUT I have one of the best e-bike shops in N.America to back me up. In N.Y. you have a comparable one I believe the name is NYCE.I could be wrong on those initials. So you would be fine. One 4 torque hope to meet you at the demo tour in March in H. Town. I know what you mean about this forum , THE BEST!

Last edited:
Yes, I would say the ST2 covers all the stuff you listed, but it does seem overly expensive at an MSRP of $6990 for someone who says he cannot afford the expenses of a car. No offense intended. Maybe you just don't want the expenses of a car. I can believe that,

By the way, if you do get an ebike, you might look into insurance. I don't think it's very expensive for theft and liability. Our home insurance would cover that, so I never looked.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! My names Hector, Im new to the forum. This is my question:

So Ive been really interested in getting an ebike. I have high blood pressure and need to stay active and I dont have a license (never needed one because every job Ive ever had was always close to where ever I have lived) and I cant really afford a car anyways. (With all the extra expenses, gas, insurance ect...) I was looking into buying the Stromer ST2 but Im sure theirs better ones with more power, higher speed capability and possibly more range. Although I havent found any that can compare to the Stromer ST2 and the technology it has. But I am not to knowledged on ebikes so I figured I come here and ask. Is it a good idea buying an ebike over a car for my first real transportation?
I live on my own so I dont have to worry about not being able to transport people. All my friends have cars so no one ever asks me for rides. I cant afford a car due to all the extra expenses that come along with it. And when I go grocery shopping I literally just take a gym bag because I eat typically healthy (Im becoming vegan so my grocery list is small and always fits in my gym bag) And Im becoming more environmentally conscious as well. So whats the verdict, is an ebike a good enough transportation to buy as my main transportation? I also plan on moving to NY soon so I wont even need a car their anyways.
Thanks for the advice in advance!

Hector, the state of New York, which includes NYC, has banned all throttle controlled ebikes. Pedal assisted ebikes, the kind w/o a throttle, are still legal, though.

Welcome to the forum! I think the ST2 is an excellent choice for a full car replacement. This bike has become quite popular in NY due to it's anti-theft measures. In our shop it has trumped ST1 sales. The new Turbo S is in a similar class as well. We received our first shipment of those, but we haven't gotten the app yet so I can't give my full thoughts on it. I believe the app will be available this month though.

Either way I really admire your thoughts on choosing an ebike over a first car. I'm sure you are probably a leader already, but I hope you inspire many others to think differently as you do.

HiHector! Wish you well on your search. Don't spend any more on an eBike than absolutely necessary.. They depreciate quite quickly and they do need attention.

For around $3000 you should be able to buy a quality ebike that is RELIABLE and has a good warranty.

After you gain some expereince you will know a lot better what YOU really want in a bicycle.

Commuting on nice roads and paths? I would buy a Stromer ST1 with a larger battery. 2 year warranty, and I can tell you from personal experience they are rock solid reliable.

Since we are near the end of the model year, now is a good time to buy a leftover model or a demo model..
My advice to you:
Test Ride as many eBikes as possible... It may take you a couple of days to find the shops.. Try bikes below and above your budget. B
Buy local, or buy online if a local shop can repair your ebike under warranty.
Don't fret about top speed, because it doesn't really matter. My Stromer does 25 mph, but my average speed is under 18 mph.
Don't overspend on an eBike.. The ST2 doesn't do anything that merits its $7k price that an ST1 cannot do during a commute.

Back