Does anyone have experience or knowledge to share about Fat Tire bikes?

Marty - it depends on what type of riding you are into. Commuter, cross country, exercising, recreational etc. you would build or buy a bike that suits your purpose. As far as fat tire bikes, I would use it for commuting through rough terrain or recreational using mostly throttle mode.

Agreed, but I see fat tired bikes all the time that stay on pavement exclusively. I have a friend who manages a Pedigo shop and have ridden everything they have, and the fat tired bike is torture (for me) to ride.

Fat tire bikes would not make a good exercise bike or for one who likes to pedal most of the time. I've ridden a fat tire with 7 speed gear and it wasn't that bad. Nothing wrong with fat tires on pavement, in fact it would greatly benefit when going over bumps, cracks, pot holes etc. If I was to get one, it would be strictly for recreational with the intention of using mostly throttle mode. I'm starting to really dig the Rad Rover ebike, it has the specs that is perfect for a fat tire.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the difficulty of the tires make it a good exerciser bike?
Not necessarily, fat tires especially if you only have 1 speed gets very hard to pedal and fatigue kicks in quick! Add in the weight of the motor and battery and it becomes even harder. To me, this would not be a good exercise bike, a 40lb 10 speed bike with skinny tires would be a good exercising bike for me. :)

Well, its like when people worry about bicycle efficiency: gearing, riding position, weight. I ride for fun and exercise what do I care about efficiency? ;)

Think of a fat tire bike as the "extreme workout" of bikes!

Thoughts on the Biktrix Juggernaut? I have a 12 km commute one way through a river valley, was thinking of an electric fatbike as something different from the electric longboard I use. The components seem to have pretty good reviews and specs, with the Bafang2 mid drive, and mid mount 48v 10 amp hour battery and the company is very responsive. Thinking of upping the motor to 750w but keeping the mechanical brakes. Have never used a electric bike or fat bike before.

http://www.biktrix.com/store.html#!...electric-fat-bike/p/42702011/category=9487252

Would end up being about 2 grand US plus taxes and shipping.

Pj, you can check out the radrover as well, though maybe the juggernaut is available right away...it would be a few month wait for the radrover currently. The juggernaut is a nice bike, I think the guy who designed it is on the forum here (the juggernaut began its life on Kickstarter).

Got the Juggernaut, by chance it was delivered Friday, took it to work today. Hilarious! So much fun. Grass verges are my playground now, and it does surprisingly well on pavement. Seems to handle fine. I do miss my suspension forks, but it's something I can add later.

Strange to be trucking up hills so quickly, like having Superman legs.

What it looks like in the flesh:

New%20bike-L.jpg

PJ - the Juggernaut looks nice! I see you opted for the mid drive motor, any particular reason why over the rear hub motor?

Researched as much as I could and the mid drive Bafang 750w seemed to be a well liked and priced powertrain, and it seemed like it would make the bike the most versatile, especially in the river valley here. Like the idea the motor weight is centralized and low, the only Fat electric I handled in person was the previous Surface 604 (hub drive, rack batt), which was a top heavy nightmare.

That said, a bit of a guess. Never had a fat bike or a electric bike before, and not a lot of reviews on the combo. Was tempted to go hub as the same retailer came out with a substantially cheaper hub drive version at the last minute.

PJ - the Juggernaut looks nice! I see you opted for the mid drive motor, any particular reason why over the rear hub motor?

That is how the Juggernaut is made (maybe you knew that just saying!). Mid-drive is made for fat bikes. I'm getting a radrover myself however, the user reviews and power rating of the rear motor should make up for most of the difference between the hub v mid-drive on the bike though.

I'm a fan of rear geared hub motors as it gives me a good amount of torque to climb hills or go off-roading. I rode a mid drive from a friend the other day and it seems ok except when I tried to shift gear when the motor was running. It made weird noise in the process and he said that was normal. He also forked out a lot of coins for that bike. I think the biggest thing that threw me off was the price.

That is how the Juggernaut is made (maybe you knew that just saying!). Mid-drive is made for fat bikes. I'm getting a radrover myself however, the user reviews and power rating of the rear motor should make up for most of the difference between the hub v mid-drive on the bike though.
According to their website, the Juggernaut has options if you want mid drive or rear hub motor.

I rode a mid drive from a friend the other day and it seems ok except when I tried to shift gear when the motor was running. It made weird noise in the process and he said that was normal.

Yeah it shifts a bit hard if you just hit the shifter, learning to give the brake lever a brief touch which cut the motor and takes the tension off the chain. Sort of like clutching. Don't have to pull the lever enough to activate the brakes, just enough to actuate that motor switch.

If anyone is interested when I have a minute I can write up a brief review of the machine. Is this thread the place?

Yeah I'd like a review! Would be nice to compare with my coming soon radrover.

@vincent713 my mistake! They only offered the mid drive when the bike was on Kickstarter.

Back