Do you regret buying (or not buying) Step-thru vs. Step-over frame?

I considered a step-thru or mid Gazelle but if I ever want to upgrade to an external extra battery only the step-over models can be upgraded. Also they only had the step-over in my size at the LBS so that settled it.

I still ride my 30+year-old Marin MTB with a high bar and almost bought a non-step-thru ebike but after giving it much thought and a lot of research, I decided to go with the step-thru. I am so glad I did. I am 65 and could care less what people think about the step-thrus vs the high bars, I go by what is best for me now and in the future. I like having a bag on a back rack with tools and whatever, it sits up pretty high and would require even more effort to get my leg over. I have only had my bike for a couple of weeks but so far I am very glad I did the step-thru.

I still ride my 30+year-old Marin MTB with a high bar and almost bought a non-step-thru ebike but after giving it much thought and a lot of research, I decided to go with the step-thru. I am so glad I did. I am 65 and could care less what people think about the step-thrus vs the high bars, I go by what is best for me now and in the future. I like having a bag on a back rack with tools and whatever, it sits up pretty high and would require even more effort to get my leg over. I have only had my bike for a couple of weeks but so far I am very glad I did the step-thru.
Amen!

Several months ago, NPR reported a new study on personality and longevity. The most common trait among those who live the longest: Paying little attention to what others think.
According to the new book "Myth of Normal," people who are highly concerned about appearances and what others think, die in horrible ways from things like ALS, Lymphoma, and MS. The list of studies and examples it long. But, people can change their personalities. @tomjasz mentioned one-speed step-thrus with a throttle and belt. If using that single-speed eChain from KMC that is as strong as a belt, the Public C1 could be a good candidate. It is on sale with free shipping for $348.95. Just upgrade the brakes.

We have both a mid-step through and a high-step Gazelle ebike. I don't regret getting the high step due to the extra strength and rigidity it provides (I am 6'6" and 275lbs - big guy). My wife is also tall but wanted the low-step but it was not available, so she got the mid-step. I like both, and if I was lot smaller and didn't need the strength of a diamond frame, I would have opted for the mid-step through or possibly the low-step through. I'm 67 and don't have any issues getting a leg over the top rail now, but in 3-5yrs, who knows.

Also, note that there are different ways to mount a high-step bike that you might find easier.
- I like to place my left foot on the left pedal, push off with my right foot, and then swing my right leg over the bike. Starting from pedal height vs from the ground is a lot easier for me. This also overcomes most issues I might have had with items on the back of the bike, as one is much higher when swinging their leg over when standing on the pedals. I started doing this when I was a kid riding my older brother's bike, so it is natural for me.
- You could also lay the bike over (toward you) and swing your leg over. This works well as long as you don't have much weight in a trunk bag that sits high on the back rack, which can cause the front wheel to come off the ground at times. Mostly not an issue, but I have had this happen a couple of times when I had some heavy items in the trunk bag.

Hope that's helpful.

Yeah I got a step through don't regret it, just got overcome the stigma of it being a girls bike, yeah my balance is off so going to a step through is what I needed makes things a lot easier so it's, great to hop off a bike and I was doing things that I was getting on and off the bike quite a bit I guess the step over is fine if you're just riding from one place to another not stopping frequently but still, my balance is off and my step over I kept falling with me and the bike to the ground

We have both a mid-step through and a high-step Gazelle ebike. I don't regret getting the high step due to the extra strength and rigidity it provides (I am 6'6" and 275lbs - big guy). My wife is also tall but wanted the low-step but it was not available, so she got the mid-step. I like both, and if I was lot smaller and didn't need the strength of a diamond frame, I would have opted for the mid-step through or possibly the low-step through. I'm 67 and don't have any issues getting a leg over the top rail now, but in 3-5yrs, who knows.

Also, note that there are different ways to mount a high-step bike that you might find easier.
- I like to place my left foot on the left pedal, push off with my right foot, and then swing my right leg over the bike. Starting from pedal height vs from the ground is a lot easier for me. This also overcomes most issues I might have had with items on the back of the bike, as one is much higher when swinging their leg over when standing on the pedals. I started doing this when I was a kid riding my older brother's bike, so it is natural for me.
- You could also lay the bike over (toward you) and swing your leg over. This works well as long as you don't have much weight in a trunk bag that sits high on the back rack, which can cause the front wheel to come off the ground at times. Mostly not an issue, but I have had this happen a couple of times when I had some heavy items in the trunk bag.

Hope that's helpful.
Some really good points. I am 6'2" and 220 but I am not worried about the strength of the step-thru frame. To me, it looks very strong and I can't imagine it failing, but time will tell. I still ride my old high-bar MTB but I do find it a little more challenging now that I am 65. And then there is the spinal stenosis and nerve damage in my legs I am dealing with that doesn't help much. Just too many years of abusing my back. In any case, I know I will have these bikes for a long time so looking ahead the step-thru was a no-brainer for me.

I have two step thru frames. A Pedego Platinum Interceptor (mine) and a Pedego City Commuter Mid drive (my wife's) No regrets and no problems. Use a Thule Easyfold carier.

There have long been warnings of step through flexing frames. I've kitted many well-made, Marin, Electra, Trek, and KHS frames with absolutely zero issues. Much ado about nothing.
40 years ago if my robust body was cranking up a hill up on the pegs, I would have been concerned about a step through. Now my more robust body that pedals along with my butt on the seat has no problem with my step through.

As a young teen, I would take my mom's Mixite sometimes because it was faster than my Continental.
1670538602019.jpeg

My Specter ST looks pretty robust and reinforced, I know the battery section is hollow but it looks like it will hold up. The bike has a payload capacity of 440 lbs. and has a five-year warranty on the frame.

Attachments

• Specter ST.png
    Specter ST.png
    735.3 KB · Views: 162
I had a Pedego interceptor step thru for 8 years and now have a Gazelle C380 step thru. The older you get the more you appreciate the ease of getting in the saddle.

Yeah that's where I got mine and Had to do some work on it Doesn't have a lot of distance

Mixte and a Diamond
They are both strong. The diamond is stiffer. The Mixte more ductile. One Al and Carbon roadie, a former boss, described one of my mixtes as a wet noodle. They are forgiving and have flex. It makes the ride smooth. Race bikes like race cars give a harsh ride. Would you want to ride a race car to the supper market? They are stiff as heck. I haven't made an electric mixte in four years. Back when batteries were hefty.

Attachments

• M7i11e.JPG
    M7i11e.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 133
  • m7i11f.JPG
    m7i11f.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 131
  • m7i11j.JPG
    m7i11j.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 146
My Specter ST looks pretty robust and reinforced, I know the battery section is hollow but it looks like it will hold up. The bike has a payload capacity of 440 lbs. and has a five-year warranty on the frame.
Wow - that is quite the payload! I'll have to keep that model in mind for future purchases. Everyone in my family is tall/big. My daughter is 5'7" and we all refer to her as "tiny"!
Regarding my earlier comment about getting the high step model Gazelle, in the Gazelle literature they state they test their bikes to a German standard where they use a 285lb rider.. . so rider + bike weight. Since this includes the low step models, one would assume they could also support the 285lb rider. Gazelle goes on to state that customers wanting more strength should consider the high step model, which is why I chose it for me. Just an extra margin for error.
Cheers!

Back