debating wether to jump to another ebike brand~

chgofirefighter

Thinking about parting ways with my ST2, going with a full suspension urban ebike, maybe Haibike, etc. still doing some research. I’ve been having nothing but issues with the ST2, just recently took it back to get serviced, the front cassette was not aligned properly, rear fender almost came off, when I insert the key into the key lock it doesn’t open the battery compartment, I have to force to turn the key, bad torque sensor replaced, battery charging issues, etc etc.

I love my ST2 but I can’t stand to be in the shop on a monthly basis, or having to call support for issues. For a bike that cost a significant investment, well it should be almost bullet proof. But its not~ Sadly the Stromer was made for the European roads, urban city roads like the one in Chicago are HORRIBLE! So these bikes were not made to handle Chicago, New York, LA etc roads. Also, they should redesigned their bikes and consider upgrading a Stromer with a full suspension, or including the front suspension, and atleast a bodyfloat seat post.

2017 seems like a good year for the ebike industry, way too many manufacturers coming with awesome products. And I am glad that I am working with a bike shop that’s willing to make my transition go smoothly. I’m still not 100% sure about jumping to another brand but if you had the issues that I have experience what would you do?

I really like my haibike sduro, plenty of pull from the motor - I just got a bulls bike and it is also great - if you're looking at full sus, I don't think you'll find a speed pedelec like the stromer (there might be a handful of options...). Otherwise, any of these bikes will serve you well.

I am very happy with my Haibike xduro all mtn rc, great build quality and all round performance. I have been stocking up on some spare parts from a UK shop (e-bikeshop uk, has great info too ) so I can keep it running and not have to try and find a local shop as these bikes are virtually unknown here. I am so impressed with the bike I am considering buying another for the wife to ride as my other bikes are non powered standard mtb. ;)

Last edited:
Thinking about parting ways with my ST2, going with a full suspension urban ebike, maybe Haibike, etc. still doing some research. I’ve been having nothing but issues with the ST2, just recently took it back to get serviced, the front cassette was not aligned properly, rear fender almost came off, when I insert the key into the key lock it doesn’t open the battery compartment, I have to force to turn the key, bad torque sensor replaced, battery charging issues, etc etc.

I love my ST2 but I can’t stand to be in the shop on a monthly basis, or having to call support for issues. For a bike that cost a significant investment, well it should be almost bullet proof. But its not~ Sadly the Stromer was made for the European roads, urban city roads like the one in Chicago are HORRIBLE! So these bikes were not made to handle Chicago, New York, LA etc roads. Also, they should redesigned their bikes and consider upgrading a Stromer with a full suspension, or including the front suspension, and atleast a bodyfloat seat post.

2017 seems like a good year for the ebike industry, way too many manufacturers coming with awesome products. And I am glad that I am working with a bike shop that’s willing to make my transition go smoothly. I’m still not 100% sure about jumping to another brand but if you had the issues that I have experience what would you do?

This is so saddening...I have worried about all of the issues you have described over time but,t o this point, have experienced very little of them and feel basically that the ST-2 is bullet-proof to a large degree. I have the bodyfloat seat post and it helps as I am sure that the front suspension fork would, particularly in your case. That being said, investing additional monies into a bike that has given you so much trouble would be a prolific leap of faith. Fortunately, you seem close to a Stromer dealer and if they can get the bike up and running the way it is supposed to be and will continue to work with you to that end, the ST-2 is a great ride. I wish you the best of luck no matter what you decide to do...

Since it sounds like your dealer is willing to help, switching bikes is probably gonna be a good idea.

Going to a mountain bike (designed for roots, rocks, and ruts) with suspension... seems like it might be just the ticket.

This is so saddening...I have worried about all of the issues you have described over time but,t o this point, have experienced very little of them and feel basically that the ST-2 is bullet-proof to a large degree. I have the bodyfloat seat post and it helps as I am sure that the front suspension fork would, particularly in your case. That being said, investing additional monies into a bike that has given you so much trouble would be a prolific leap of faith. Fortunately, you seem close to a Stromer dealer and if they can get the bike up and running the way it is supposed to be and will continue to work with you to that end, the ST-2 is a great ride. I wish you the best of luck no matter what you decide to do...

It's a great ride, LOVE it, however due to ongoing and constant issues it kinda leaves the end user with a sour taste. If you know what I mean... I'm still not 100% convinced that I'm going to take the leap of faith, however I am going to study my options carefully, test ride other bikes, etc etc. Kinda liking the mid drive Haibike Urban S model, looks almost exactly like the ST2... But no front end suspension, or full suspension~ But by mean a mid drive design maybe things will be better, who knows...

I read chgofirefighter's posts prior to purchasing an ST2 several week ago and have had lingering concerns in the back of my mind. But I can say, that I've just reached 200 miles and 10 hours of riding and have not had a single problem while using the bike as my daily commuter for the last two and a half weeks. Even had a seamless firmware update today.

I will continue to keep a close eye out for similar issues and expect to reach 400 miles before Thanksgiving.

I live in Chicago also. Hard to find a good dealer to test Specialized,BULLS, FELT, KTM etc in the vicinity. Kozy superstore does not have these brands. Who do you like to do business with?

I live in Chicago also. Hard to find a good dealer to test Specialized,BULLS, FELT, KTM etc in the vicinity. Kozy superstore does not have these brands. Who do you like to do business with?
I go outside of Chicago,My experience with Kozy's has been HORRIBLE, Terrible! Did I say terrible??? Yes, indeed customer service lacking, if you don't buy your bike from them expect long delays in repairing or taking your bike in for warranty claims, etc. I would NEVER ever visit Kozy's again, nor would I recommend my friends or even enemies to do so either!

I go outside of Chicago,My experience with Kozy's has been HORRIBLE, Terrible! Did I say terrible??? Yes, indeed customer service lacking, if you don't buy your bike from them expect long delays in repairing or taking your bike in for warranty claims, etc. I would NEVER ever visit Kozy's again, nor would I recommend my friends or even enemies to do so either!

No question if I lived in Chicago that is where I'd go...heck I live in Minneapolis and that is STILL where I buy from (they'll ship, though I've made the trip down once as well).

Maybe you could rent a likely candidate for a week before deciding to switch?

Just an idea to consider... a fatter tire bike might make the potholes more comfortable....

Actually, I just went to check your bike specs, and they are 2" tires already. 2.5" might help some, but actually I was really surprised to see they are 26" tires!

If you can, find a bike with 28", 29er, or 700c tires, around the 2-2.5" mark. You will still need suspension.

Maybe you could rent a likely candidate for a week before deciding to switch?

Just an idea to consider... a fatter tire bike might make the potholes more comfortable....

Actually, I just went to check your bike specs, and they are 2" tires already. 2.5" might help some, but actually I was really surprised to see they are 26" tires!

If you can, find a bike with 28", 29er, or 700c tires, around the 2-2.5" mark. You will still need suspension.

Actually, yes thats a good advice. I'm in the process of buying a bike rack to transport my ebike to the bike shop which happens to be 160+ miles away from my residence. They specialized only in ebikes so I will be testing a few bikes out before making a decision. So a bigger tire, fatter would help? I have a body float suspension seat post, it helps but not by much~

Personally I find the larger size wheels more comfy. Court mentions in reviews that larger diameter tires can span potholes better, kinda go over rather than down in. I doubt anything will make rough roads disappear completely, but increased tire size could make a difference.

Balloon tires give more surface area of shock absorbing rubber as well. Not as efficient, but it sounds like comfort trumps efficiency for you.

27.5" tires are between 26 and 28. When you are test riding, you'll probably try some if those as well.

The bike I am looking at is a speed pedelec with 27.5" x 2.35" tires. Supposed to be good for gravel trails. Haven't ridden it yet. (Riese and Muller Charger GX). I know Lenny doesn't carry that brand, but the tire size gives some ideas...

Hej !

I'm chiming in on the discussion regarding fatter tires and comfort vs performance.
There's an ongoing debate going on in the Road circles about dropping the historical idea that "Narrow tires with max pressure" is best for performance.

Here are two links for podcast and videos.

- Rethinking tire sizes and pressures
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/cyc...rethinking-road-bike-tire-sizes-and-pressures

- The truth about wide tires and wide rims on road bikes

As one participant said: "Buy the most supple tires you can afford and at the widest width you can fit in your frame; and that's a good start".

T.

I go outside of Chicago, Crazy Lennys e bikes~ Google them, also asked for Ravi. That's the only place that truly specialize in ebikes ONLY! It's worth the drive and savings. My experience with Kozy's has been HORRIBLE, Terrible! Did I say terrible??? Yes, indeed customer service lacking, if you don't buy your bike from them expect long delays in repairing or taking your bike in for warranty claims, etc. I would NEVER ever visit Kozy's again, nor would I recommend my friends or even enemies to do so either!

Thanks that is great advice. I found Kozy's to be highly incompetent and a runaround. I was upstairs and no one showed up for over 30 mins. They look so disorganized and out of touch with the customer. I was hoping I could test drive before purchase, but those brands are unavailable here in Chicago.
Perhaps I may risk with an online order and have it tweaked by either Mark @ Cycle Smithy or Rudy's Bike shop. Those are both great shops!! No E-bikes though sold unless for special order @ Cycle Smithy only.
BTW=Chicago Firefighters are the real Heros!!

...Perhaps I may risk with an online order and have it tweaked by either Mark @ Cycle Smithy or Rudy's Bike shop. Those are both great shops!! ..
I bought my human powered bike from Cycle Smithy. Nice price, great and friendly service and bike was shipped to me and arrived in excellent condition. Never been to their shop but next time I'm in Chicago I plan to stop in.

Thanks that is great advice. I found Kozy's to be highly incompetent and a runaround. I was upstairs and no one showed up for over 30 mins. They look so disorganized and out of touch with the customer. I was hoping I could test drive before purchase, but those brands are unavailable here in Chicago.
Perhaps I may risk with an online order and have it tweaked by either Mark @ Cycle Smithy or Rudy's Bike shop. Those are both great shops!! No E-bikes though sold unless for special order @ Cycle Smithy only.
BTW=Chicago Firefighters are the real Heros!!

I will be happy to take you to the store this Saturday and put you on all the E-bikes Lenny carries.
There is no better way to understand E-bikes than test ride one.

Ravi-Are you in Chicago and do you work for Lenny? Thanks!

Bob,
I live in Chicago and go to U of Illinois for my doctoral work.
Lenny was the prime sponsor for my Guinness record ride this summer and I might own the store when Lenny retires.
I will be visiting him tomorrow.

Bob,
I live in Chicago and go to U of Illinois for my doctoral work.
Lenny was the prime sponsor for my Guinness record ride this summer and I might own the store when Lenny retires.
I will be visiting him tomorrow.
Wow Ravi, this is unbelievable. Congrats to you with your record ride! I actually saw you with Court on EBR. I watch all of his videos on a regular basis to get insight on the electric bike biz etc. What an exciting breakthrough in technology that is coming. I wish I could join you tomorrow, but I am a little tied up. It is very nice of you to offer. Perhaps another time. I love E-Bikes!! Thanks!
P.S. I really kike the BULLS bikes with the Brose motors.

Back