CrossCurrent - need REALLY upright riding position - advice before purchasing please!

wrangler6061

Team.. I'm strongly looking at a CrossCurrent (S2 model.. but I know dimensions are the same for the X model). I'm a big guy (6'4", 265 lbs)... 59 years old.. and have decided on the XL frame so the seatpost won't stick out TOO far.. . Due to WAY too many lower back surgeries, I have to have a COMPLETELY upright riding position (i.e. no lean over at all). On my current "regular" bike.. I accomplished this via an adjustable riser stem.. riser bars.. and some extra high bar ends for when I'm "cruising". Pic is attached. Yeah.. it looks a little goofy.. But.. I don't care what anyone thinks.. it works for me!

I contacted Juiced bike sales support.. wondering if I could order their riser handlebar (like they have on the RipCurrent) on the CrossCurrent. Answer was "no".. and.. ".. wouldn't work anyway because the hydraulic brake lines are too short...".

(In case anyone is asking.. No.. I don't want the RipCurrent.. for where I'm riding.. I don't want the fat tires...)

So.. wondering what specific high rise bars and stems anyone has used successfully to get a really upright riding position on the CrossCurrent. I have researched this more than I care to admit.. and the CrossCurrent looks to be the perfect bike in my price range IF I can fix the riding position.

I would love to do something like this bar
1592325504688.png

and one of the adjustable angle stem extenders.. Just don't have any way of knowing if this would work.. as it is hard to know how much slack is really in the cables..

I suppose I could (??) get longer hydraulic brake lines and electric motor control cable extenders too... but that seems like a lot of work..

Thanks to all!

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 606
I put a riser stem on my CCS. Made a big difference.

I can see no reason you couldn't put those handlebars on a CCS. The hydraulic lines etc. aren't that short. Placement might not be perfect.

Also, strongly consider getting the L instead of the XL frame. When I got mine, they said the L would be good from 5'8" to 6'3". I'm 5'10" but long-legged, so that sounded right to me. I wish I'd gotten the M frame. It has not been a deal-breaker, but I've got just enough clearance over the frame when I straddle it, like at a stop light. A little more clearance would be ... comforting. I've heard others say the same. I think Juiced missed the mark by a factor of about 2 inches.

You'd be on the tall side for an L frame, but I'm guessing you'd like it better. Might give you a little more slack in the lines and wires, too. ;)

Team.. I'm strongly looking at a CrossCurrent (S2 model.. but I know dimensions are the same for the X model). I'm a big guy (6'4", 265 lbs)... 59 years old.. and have decided on the XL frame so the seatpost won't stick out TOO far.. . Due to WAY too many lower back surgeries, I have to have a COMPLETELY upright riding position (i.e. no lean over at all). On my current "regular" bike.. I accomplished this via an adjustable riser stem.. riser bars.. and some extra high bar ends for when I'm "cruising". Pic is attached. Yeah.. it looks a little goofy.. But.. I don't care what anyone thinks.. it works for me!

I contacted Juiced bike sales support.. wondering if I could order their riser handlebar (like they have on the RipCurrent) on the CrossCurrent. Answer was "no".. and.. ".. wouldn't work anyway because the hydraulic brake lines are too short...".

(In case anyone is asking.. No.. I don't want the RipCurrent.. for where I'm riding.. I don't want the fat tires...)

So.. wondering what specific high rise bars and stems anyone has used successfully to get a really upright riding position on the CrossCurrent. I have researched this more than I care to admit.. and the CrossCurrent looks to be the perfect bike in my price range IF I can fix the riding position.

View attachment 55703

and one of the adjustable angle stem extenders.. Just don't have any way of knowing if this would work.. as it is hard to know how much slack is really in the cables..

I suppose I could (??) get longer hydraulic brake lines and electric motor control cable extenders too... but that seems like a lot of work..

Thanks to all!

I like the Jones Riser H-bars... you get an additional 2.5 inches of height and 45' degrees of sweep with a better ergonomic position for your upper body.

1592354846218.png

Check out the Tourist handlebar from Velo Orange. Cuts the reach down with backswept 60 degree bars and costs $35. There's also the Milan and Postino bars with less and no rise.

You can also get a stem that's short with an upward angle, say 25-35 degrees. An adjustable stem only makes sense if you need to change the stem regularly.

I added the Jones bar to my bike and had to put a longer line in for the front brake. My bike has bafang motor and I needed to add a few inches to brake sensor cable. Got cables made to order from Germany. Arrived in five days to the States. Love my Jones bar.

I am 6'5" and have been riding a CCS2 XL frame since Nov '19. I wish there were a larger frame as I need to raise the seat post to the max line in order to get near full leg extension on the down stroke. Also asked about riser stem/bars when I purchased and was told "no", similarly citing cable length as the issue. Have been considering a Jones bar as well, and just visualizing, it seems to me that all cables should reach the new positioning, which I'm thinking won't really be that much different. Might even be closer to where the cables come out of the bottom of the frame. Plenty of slack on my front brake cable.

At 700mm including grips (specs say 680mm) I find the stock S2 handle bars to be a bit on the wide side for navigating in city or sidewalk situations, so was wanting the 660mm version of the Jones bar (currently out of stock). Jones recommends the 710mm version for a more upright riding position grabbing onto the extra length at the end of the bar. Not convinced it will get you into a fully upright position, but would certainly help your back situation. Depending upon how you mount things, you might have to lean into a more forward position anyway to operate the gears, brakes, etc. S2 is my second e-bike and I love it btw!

Last edited:
... and @wrangler6061 I am not mad at your current handle bar setup. Thoroughly impressed with your ingenuity. :cool:

Not to mention your bike appears to be so perfectly balanced it can stand upright without a kickstand.

Last edited:
Last edited:

View attachment 55703

Thanks to all!

I have those Jones riser bars, and also a Satori step riser. Gives 4.5" of extra height. Also have a short 30mm stem, and keep the saddle forward. Makes for a nice leisurely upright riding position.

I like the Jones Riser H-bars... you get an additional 2.5 inches of height and 45' degrees of sweep with a better ergonomic position for your upper body.

View attachment 55746

Quick question, I am trying to decide whether to give this riser handlebars or another adjustable stem and use the flat bar, which one would you pick for an mtb for comfort.

Also do they come with drips or tape?

Quick question, I am trying to decide whether to give this riser handlebars or another adjustable stem and use the flat bar, which one would you pick for an mtb for comfort.

Also do they come with drips or tape?

I would not recommend an adjustable stem for any EMTB... the part cannot handle the stress from off-road riding.

Go with the riser handlebars and add 45' degree stem if you need additional height... your body will thank you. 😉

Jones offers a number of grips to fit the long sweep bars... I like the Kraton and EVA grips better than bar tape.

https://www.jonesbikes.com/grips/

I know I'm not answering your question by saying this, but if it's not too late, look for a different bike.

I think you're about to buy a wrong bike. :( There are a lot more upright, comfortable, and still fast bikes out there.

I've seen people complaining about supersport motorcycles like Yamaha YZF-R1 because they're not upright enough.
I was like... why don't you get a Harley?

Thank you for the reply. It is not my bike, I am doing this to make it more comfortable for the rider for long rides on country roads etc. For shorter rides we have no problem so fit is fine. Want to make it comfortable for long tours and with the right adjustment FS bikes become great , comfortable tourers.

I would not recommend an adjustable stem for any EMTB... the part cannot handle the stress from off-road riding.

Go with the riser handlebars and add 45' degree stem if you need additional height... your body will thank you. 😉

Jones offers a number of grips to fit the long sweep bars... I like the Kraton and EVA grips better than bar tape.

https://www.jonesbikes.com/grips/

Thank you. How is the comfort level of grips for different riding positions?

The thing is I think 5-10 degrees up + ergon grips will be enough and Ritchey seem to have a strong adjustable stem that should be fine for even mtb's. But since the first time I saw it I always wondered if Jones H bar can really make a big of a difference as they advertise it. Also it changes the geometry significantly so I don't know if the rider will like it.

Since it's for leisure ride, why not try the riser stem first. Very simple, and the one I have on my DJ e-bike has a lot of variation and seems pretty solid to me. I'm not banging the heavy bike over rocks and trees on every ride though or even often, but have done. If it does not work out, then get the new bar, you won't be out a lot of money, but maybe a little time as changing the stem should be quick. If you don't need to swap the bar you'll have saved a lot of time. Seems like it's worth a try to me.

I too have a question about seating position...Hi there, would you guys know if the CC2s or X is similar to the riding position of the Specialized Como? I test ride the Como and really liked it but it’s pricy. I have a Carpal Tunnel issue in the wrists when I ride my Trek dual sport so I’m looking for an electric bike with an upright position similar to the Como? Thanks for the help!

@wrangler6061 If your current setup is comfortable for your back situation, have you considered just putting an electric kit on it? I installed this on my 20-year-old Diamondback about 4 years ago and have had no complaints: https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/...et-legal-electric-bike-kit-samsung-powered-v2

They also make more powerful off-road kits (who would know it's not street legal): https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/...ts/products/premium-offroad-electric-bike-kit

View attachment 55822
View attachment 55823
I thought about this.. but.. the componentry, in general, on this bike, is fairly low.. I bought it used.. and.. don't want to put a lot of money into it..

replacing front brake line was simple. Here is where I got my short extenders. https://e-bike-technologies.de/inde...-higo-mini-b-series/2-x-cable/higo-vk3-detail it was pretty easy to do.
Can you post details of your brake hose replacement and wire extensions? I have a CCS2 on order and I’m pretty sure I’m going to need to raise the handlebars. Tech support told me there’s enough slack to go up 3” but I think I’m probably going to need to go up higher. Thanks

Back