Cross Current

@Dunbar what kind of range are you getting at the most efficient assist setting? 15-17 miles at max power is less than expected, no?

I haven't tried it at lower power settings. I tend to leave it on 'S' and haul butt all of the time. The range seems about right for a ~400ah battery at 28mph. I paid for the 10.4ah battery when I bought the bike so when they get more in stock that will boost my range by ~1/3. Anything below 'S' should significantly boost your range because you're limited to 20mph. Coming from road bikes 20mph feels slow on an e-bike to me.

As far as the Ergon grips, I got them to fit by moving the brake/shift levers inward so no problems there. It's more that my hands feel too far out so I would want to hack the bars down if I used them which I did on my old Jamis Coda.

Last edited:
Assist lvl 3 is actually enough to maintain low to mid 20's. Level 2 high teens. I don't bother much with 1 & eco. With no power low to mid teens.

I'm actually on my 4th inner tube & this time it's a Giant brand schrader 700 x 35-45 from a local LBS. The stock tube blew out a few minutes after being inflated to 80 PSI. The 2nd Kenda schrader 700 x 38-43 tube from a closer LBS kept getting holes in the inner wall & patches would blow out. The 3rd tube I switched to Performance Bike Presta 700 x 38-43 & swapped the rubber rim liner for a cloth one & also made an adapter so the valve would not rest against the sharp corner of the hole & take up the extra space. Also switched to a Schwalbe Energizer Plus tire. Googling suggest that ppl have used presta in schrader drilled rims sans adapters with no problems though. Still this didn't last long that I eventually got a flats again on the inner wall. Now the 4th tube is back to schrader 700 x 35-45. I also swapped the rim strip to a new one and deburred all the spoke holes. This has last a few days now so maybe 4th time's a charm.

So I've just been unlucky with the rear tire & haven't been able to figure the exact root cause for my issues with the tubes flatting the way they did. It's hard to believe that being 2mm smaller would make a difference, but just in case I found one that says up to 45, but I think Presta will work just fine.

Only thing left to do with my CC is to add fenders (have Planet Bike Cascadia's on the way) & maybe upgrade the front suspension to an air fork like the recently released Rock Shox Paragon Gold RL.
Damn four?! I thought I had rough luck :)

Funny because the way your first one blew out is the same way mine did. I was originally at 70 psi, decided to go up to 80 since the sidewall says up to 85. Once I got to 80, I walked away to get the valve cover and it exploded very loud like a gunshot. So loud that my neighbor on his porch kinda yelled out of surprise. Unfortunately the blow out was pretty severe, it actually warped the rim itself. I brought it to performance cycle which is right near by and they told me that it's not fixable.

Maybe this can be a quick heads up for anyone else, be careful filling the tires.

Even with this issue, I still love the bike, just gonna hate having it sit for a little while... :(

Damn four?! I thought I had rough luck :)

Funny because the way your first one blew out is the same way mine did. I was originally at 70 psi, decided to go up to 80 since the sidewall says up to 85. Once I got to 80, I walked away to get the valve cover and it exploded very loud like a gunshot. So loud that my neighbor on his porch kinda yelled out of surprise. Unfortunately the blow out was pretty severe, it actually warped the rim itself. I brought it to performance cycle which is right near by and they told me that it's not fixable.

:(

Yea instead of range anxiety I now have flat anxiety not good when my commute is 16 miles each way. My ride has to be very reliable since I don't drive & hate to spend money on public transit if I don't have to.

That is pretty bad if the blowout was enough to warp a rim beyond repair. My rear wheel isn't perfect, but I didn't think a blowout could affect it in that way.

Man, 80psi on a 700x45 tire is a lot of pressure. I've been running the stock tires at 45/50psi and they feel rock hard at that pressure. You guys are lucky it didn't blow while you had your ear next to the tire inflating it. I run the 700x25's on my road bike at 80psi and I weigh about 150lbs. Never had a pinch flat running that size/pressure. I'm looking to upgrade the CC tires to 700x40 Schwalbe Marathon Supremes but I want the Microskin protection layer (slightly better protection) and the only place I can find them in-stock online wants $68/ea. The Marathon Plus is about the most puncture resistant tire you can buy. Or go with a tubeless setup with sealant if you deal with a lot of punctures.

Last edited:
Man, 80psi on a 700x45 tire is a lot of pressure. I've been running the stock tires at 45/50psi and they feel rock hard at that pressure. You guys are lucky it didn't blow while you had your ear next to the tire inflating it. I run the 700x25's on my road bike at 80psi and I weigh about 150lbs. Never had a pinch flat running that size/pressure. I'm looking to upgrade the tires to 700x40 Schwalbe Marathon Supremes but I want the Microskin protection layer (slightly better protection) and the only place I can find them in-stock online wants $68/ea. The Marathon Plus is about the most puncture resistant tire you can buy. Or go with a tubeless setup with sealant if you deal with a lot of punctures.

Hahaha my ears were ringing after it exploded. I guess you just live and learn. Thankfully Juiced has the best customer service around, so I will be back riding in no time.

I'm curious if it has to do with the air pressure and the actual weight of the bike.

I'm new to all this, so I kinda have no idea what I'm talking about.

I think the two blow outs were from high inflation pressures. Youth it sounds like had some mysterious flats. If they're on the inner (wheel) side they can be from the improperly installed or poor quality rim strips (I agree rim tape is better) or those Mr. Tuffy liners some people use that rub holes in the tube. If you figure out exactly where the puncture is that can help you pinpoint where the problem lies on the wheel which can help narrow it down. The main reason I want to swap the stock tires is I don't trust their puncture protection. Good tires make a world of difference.

The 2nd & third tire developed holes on the inner side, but I could not feel anything running my finger over the rim strip. But perhaps it was only an issue when fully inflated & with weight on the wheel. So far the 4th has been running good for few days & as mention this time I went with a tube advertise as up to 45mm & also removed the sharps edges around all the spoke holes inside the rim vacuuming the chips afterwards. I haven't had any issues flatting with the front wheel.

Btw, just got the Planet Bike 45mm Cascadia fenders & they look like they'll fit but are only 45mm wide so not ideal with no overlap over the sidewalls. I see that Blackburn has a set that are advertised for up to 45mm tires. I just email them to ask how wide the actual fenders are, but is anyone using them atm? Edit: They recommend going with the next size up thier 700 x 60 fenders so I have a set on the way. Hopefully no clearance issues with the CC frame.

Last edited:
FWIW I upgraded the CC rear tire to a Schwalbe Marathon Plus (to max protection) while keeping the stock Kenda on the front, since it's easy to remove/patch/replace. The Marathon Plus sidewall says 45-70 psi and I'm running 60 psi. The Kenda sidewall says 50-85 psi and I'm running 70. Any comments/thoughts on those pressures, I'd welcome the feedback. The bike is a joy to ride.

FWIW I upgraded the CC rear tire to a Schwalbe Marathon Plus (to max protection) while keeping the stock Kenda on the front, since it's easy to remove/patch/replace. The Marathon Plus sidewall says 45-70 psi and I'm running 60 psi. The Kenda sidewall says 50-85 psi and I'm running 70. Any comments/thoughts on those pressures, I'd welcome the feedback. The bike is a joy to ride.
Have Schwalbe tires on both ebikes. This is after 700 miles on a non-ebike, 700c Kenda Kourier w/Kevlar Shield. Tire was always ridden smack in the middle of psi limits. Can't quickly patch this, this is call for a ride fix!

Kenda super flat.jpg

I think it's better to use e-rated tires. Just an opinion...

Have Schwalbe tires on both ebikes. This is after 700 miles on a non-ebike, 700c Kenda Kourier w/Kevlar Shield. Tire was always ridden smack in the middle of psi limits. Can't quickly patch this, this is call for a ride fix!

View attachment 6720

I think it's better to use e-rated tires. Just an opinion...
You better get a body float seat post if your going to ride that tire!

Has anybody had any luck mounting a Topeak disk rack on the crosscurrent? Don't want to waste the money on it if not.

Also wondering what the seat post diameter is

Last edited:
With Rich or Robbie's help, I had a Topeak rack mounted so I could use it with their MTX Trunkbag. They tapped the rear dropout to receive the machine screw fasteners.

Topeak Rack.jpg
Topeak Rack Tapped.jpg

@EriderM the dropout was drilled and then tapped for fasteners suitable for the rack. If you have a decent tap set, it should be a straightforward task once you bend & arrange the rack's 4 mounting points to suit. FWIW - and I'll bet you already know this - the Topeak gear seems to be first class. Patricia looked at those two panniers, once I unzipped and revealed them, and said I'd be going to the store a LOT! :p

Back