Cross Current

Well, just to pile on... Purchased my CC today, for shipment out to Montana in a week or so. Having no ebike LBS options, I decided to take the bull by the horns and go to where the bikes are. I'll post a report on how all that worked out soon. Bottom Line: CONGRATULATIONS to @Tora Harris for producing such a pleasingly intuitive ride. It's quite something.

Last edited:
My gf's arrived today so we are now a two color, two cross current, two battery range household. @Rob02150 glad you are going to get videos up.

This is a sweet bike, and hit all the marks I hoped: 1) Good build quality 2)Light enough to handle 3)Capable commuter 4) can handle light trails. 4)Awesome finish and eye catching, good looking bikes that are not super "e bike looking"

If I had to throw out negatives which in my opinion are hard to find on these bikes:
1) The cap on the kickstand arrived cracked and I was given a replacement by the dealer (no big deal, but possibly a small weak point)

2) The cover of the charge port is super snug (not even really a con at all as I want it to be waterproof)

3) Biggest complaint by far: Difficulty with mountable rack. I'm about $130 in the whole with the topeka rack and paneer set up unless I can figure something out. (I know its on the Tora's radar though)

All in all I am ultra pleased with the bike and love it. Even after having ridden several bikes from larger companies at the bike expo. I am hoping to see other people start tagging these bikes on instagram. I have been using #crosscurrent along with #juicedbikes (the cross current hashtag brings up all sorts of non bike cross current images)

Last edited:
IMG_0052.JPG
Here is a picture of my rack, axiom, and panniers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rindy,
Which rack do you have on the CC? Any mods to make it fit?

The drive side has a open mounting point & from the picture it looks like one of the disc brake mounting holes was used for the rack & fenders. I don't think I would do this myself, but it probably wouldn't affect the brake.

4th day on my CC commute & I got a flat on the rear tire. 2mm square piece of glass pierced through to the tube. Gotta be careful when inflating since the tire bead sits really loose in the rim & slips off easily when not inflated.

If you can swing it...STromer is the gold standard other purpose built Ebikes are measured against. IMO.
Well I rode a CC today. I have to recant on my statement. The price point on the CC - the features and the feel of the bike are AWESOME. As a St1 Patinum owner I will say the CC is tough to beat. The riding position is a little more aggressive than the ST1. The bike handles shifts and stops just as well. I did not experience and pulsing or any choppiness with the assist. Great value for this bike.

Shout out to Orbit City bikes Columbus Ohio

@Tora Harris you have done a nice job with this bike!

I ended up deciding on the CC over the Stromer ST1. The Stromer is a little bit zippier but it's double the cost and I wouldn't feel comfortable locking up a $3500 bike outside for more than 15 min. I got a black CC with the 10.4ah battery which they'll swap in for me when they get the bigger batteries in stock. No black mediums in stock so I should get it tomorrow.

Some more observations after a few days. The rear tire is a pain to get back on since the dropout slot is sized just wide enough to slip over the double flats on the axle. You will gouge/scratch the chainstay with the disc trying to get it back on. I also worry about damaging the cadence sensor bit on the torque sensor with the small cog hitting it while mounting the wheel. You will also need an 18mm wrench with angled box end to deal with the drive side nut because the torque sensor/dropout design makes the nut recessed a bit. This might be an easy fix with a thicker washer or spacer.

I somehow got a flat on the spoke side & attempts to patch it failed several times with one situation causing the patch to pop in the center over the hole in the tube. The wheels come with a rubber rim liner & I think the tube/patch just expanded too much into the spoke holes so I just replaced the rear one with cloth rim tape. Also gonna replaced the rear tire with a Schwalbe Energizer Plus HS 427 because my 1st ebike came with similar tires which lasted over 9k miles.

The 700c x 45 schrader tubes in the bike doesn't seem to be common in shops around here, but 700c x 43 should work fine. Just replaced my 2nd tube with a presta version inside the schrader rim.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my medium Cross Current. Made good time getting the 2 miles home (faster than driving.) You really appreciate the motor assist on any sort of incline. My old (non-disc) rack wouldn't fit so the shop gave me a good deal on a new one. I'm thinking that my first upgrades will be quicker/beefier tires (thinking Schwalbe Marathon Supremes) and a decent rear blinky.

2016-06-12.jpg

Here's a picture of my medium Cross Current. Made good time getting the 2 miles home (faster than driving.) You really appreciate the motor assist on any sort of incline. My old (non-disc) rack wouldn't fit so the shop gave me a good deal on a new one. I'm thinking that my first upgrades will be quicker/beefier tires (thinking Schwalbe Marathon Supremes) and a decent rear blinky.

2016-06-12.jpg

Looks great!

Can't wait until I get mine. I'm just a little nervous about the company shipping it, not a single good review for them anywhere :(

Looks great!

Can't wait until I get mine. I'm just a little nervous about the company shipping it, not a single good review for them anywhere :(
I'm sure you'll be fine - Tora seems to work with good people. My shipper (SAIA) did a good job getting the product to me.

So everyone that has a new crosscurrent, does it do 28mph easily? I have a front hub electric motor on my crosscheck that gets me to 20-22mph without much effort.
I need the 28mph top speed. Just wondering if it's worth the jump. I'd also give up my drop handlebars.

Somewhat easy to get up to 28mph, but to maintain it I'd say you have to be to be semi-fit like if you can hold high teens low 20's on a normal bike.

@youth I think your assumption is quite valid: "...to maintain it I'd say you have to be semi-fit..." Or maybe more than just 'semi-fit'. And that would be on a flat, paved surface without opposing wind. Speaking from a personal perspective, however, it wasn't the '28 mph top speed' that I appreciated as much as being able to exceed the 19 mph speed of the Class 1/2 bikes I was testing. And those bikes weren't necessarily easy to sustain at 19-20 mph speeds, either. For many riders, even daily riders & commuters, my guess would be that they are typically seeing 15-16 mph when 'in cruise' on flat, non-windy terrain and riding Class 1/2 bikes, and in the low 20's when riding Class 3's. A generalization, to be sure, and it may not apply to you or Tora.

I don't have a speedo on mine but I might have to try a smartphone app to see how fast I'm going. It feels pretty fast to me but I'm a pretty fit road cyclist. I can hold 200 watts on my road bike for a long time and cruising at 20mph I don't find difficult. Even on a Stromer ST1 enough wind will prevent you from holding 28mph. I think lower rolling resistance tires will help somewhat. I do find it comical how much faster I can go up inclines on the e-bike.

Hi all, just a note to any Canadian cyclists out there interested in the CC or U500. Hill Eater E-Bikes is now the exclusive Juiced distributor for Canada. We have a small but growing number of bike shops carrying Juiced. The list can be found on our web site:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

If you don't have a local dealer you can order directly from us through our website or by calling 250-538-0911. If you have a favorite shop, and they don't sell Juiced, please have them call us to set up a dealership. We will get you a referral bonus.
As of June 2016 we have stock of only XL CC in black or red, with the 7.8 ah battery, and only a few U500. We have a large shipment coming later in the summer, and the selection will be much better, please stay tuned.

Got my bike this morning and I am blown away.

Not only is this my first e-bike (I've never even seen one personally), but its my first bike with disc brakes and a suspension fork with lockout. Here are a few photos, including one of my speedometer showing it's 28 mph mark.

sSceHdS.jpg
924MMAn.jpg
khXK7ej.jpg
T0MIcFP.jpg
unYxx4k.jpg
sSceHdS
khXK7ej
924MMAn
T0MIcFP
unYxx4k

I unfortunately broke the cover that goes over the adjuster of the fork (as you can see in the photo), purely my mistake. It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal.

I love this bike!

@Rob02150

Good for you! Really nice bike. That broken cap, so many get broken since Suntour really doesn't give good direction on how to remove it. That cover is just for looks, it's not a weather cover, but I bet any bigger LBS will have spares (new or used) that will fit. I have a non-e-bike with them and the first time I removed the cap, I came close to breaking it. Many Suntour's use the same cap.

Enjoy!

Back