Creo 1X drivetrain - Has frustrated me for some time

Captain Slow

I've posted before that I really like the Creo but my two biggest complaints about the bike are the odd spacing for the wheels which makes it a lot harder to buy a second set and the 1X drivetrain. I normally ride with not that much assist so I like to have a nice range of gears. I find the 1X drivetrain results in have a "gappy cassette" since it's an 11 speed 11-42. I find myself in the lower part of the cassette often and having difficulty finding the right gear for the cadence I want to ride.

But now Powershift is selling their wheels that aim to get rid of the front derailleur and effectively put it into the rear hub. This is great news as this wheelset combined with our bikes will give us the gearing range as if the bike had a 2X drivetrain. Well almost, the size of the chainring is a bit small and means you can't really get that high gear you want.

The problem is that they don't offer the wheel in the spacing we need for the Creo. I've already gone on the company's website asking if they'll make a wheelset that will fit the Creo. If you feel the same way please post a similar message. I can only hope they make this in the correct size for the Creo.

I've posted before that I really like the Creo but my two biggest complaints about the bike are the odd spacing for the wheels which makes it a lot harder to buy a second set and the 1X drivetrain. I normally ride with not that much assist so I like to have a nice range of gears. I find the 1X drivetrain results in have a "gappy cassette" since it's an 11 speed 11-42. I find myself in the lower part of the cassette often and having difficulty finding the right gear for the cadence I want to ride.

But now Powershift is selling their wheels that aim to get rid of the front derailleur and effectively put it into the rear hub. This is great news as this wheelset combined with our bikes will give us the gearing range as if the bike had a 2X drivetrain. Well almost, the size of the chainring is a bit small and means you can't really get that high gear you want.

The problem is that they don't offer the wheel in the spacing we need for the Creo. I've already gone on the company's website asking if they'll make a wheelset that will fit the Creo. If you feel the same way please post a similar message. I can only hope they make this in the correct size for the Creo.

Interesting product. And I understand your frustration. But don't think I'd go to this extreme to avoid a gappy cassette. I was more concerned about the lack of high enough gears with standard Creo setup. I went for an XDR driver and 10-42 cassette in place of 11-42 and I am a happy camper.

I agree that you run out of gears, especially considering you have a motor! I considered an XDR driver for the same reason, but I'd rather have more gears and I'll look into getting a bigger chain ring. I know it likely won't fit, but I'd love a 52T chain ring with this wheel. That would give me all the gears I want!

I got a response from Contact and they say a 148 x 12 is on their radar. It would be great to have this product for the Creo.

I use a Shimano GRX Ultegra 11-34 cassette and love it primarily because its gearing is evenly spaced 11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,30 and 34. But, I live in north Florida and do my riding there or in south Georgia where it is only moderately hilly.

This conversation has me even more confused. I ride a Vado 4 SL with 10 speeds similarly geared - 11-42. I have felt it needed a bit more gearing on the top end, though I’m so fit that I push the limits.

I‘ve thought about chain ring changes, but that would probably through the geometry off and the added complexity for the limited utility wouldn’t be worth it. I’m not sure what Powershift actually is, but the implication of adding a bit more granular gearing is intriguing. Even if it wouldn’t work on my Vado or be affordable.

This is something I’ll need to revisitwhen it warms up. for whatever reasons, I don’t seem to be going as fast in the winter cold.

I bought the Creo because I wanted an electric bike that would be reasonably similar to my carbon road bike so I could ride it in a similar manner. Just further and faster.

My Cervelo has a 50/34 on the front and an 11-27 on the rear. Ideally I could get a 50T on the Creo then the powershift hub would effectively allow me to get a 34T low gear by shifting that and then I could get say an 11-30 for my rear cassette which would be similar since my Cervelo is a 10 speed, but the Creo is 11 speed.

Does that clarify things?

Interesting 2-speed hub, particularly as it says you can shift under loads up to 1,000w. Expensive but neat award winning tech

3 complications re using other standard- or boost-width wheels on the Creo:

#1 Specialized incorporates a magnet into the rear wheel's hub (non-drive side). This may be just for the speed sensor in their Mission Control app (I don't know), but if it plays some role in regulating motor speed then not having one on a rear wheel might be problematic (again, I don't know).

#2 Assuming the hub-based magnet isn't essential, several companies make conversion kits to 'boost' standard width wheels. However, all I've seen assume a 15mm thru-axle in the front (a la mountain bikes), and the Creo uses 12mm thru-axles (like road bikes). Re the front wheel, I figured I'd buy the front kit, to get the needed disk rotor offset spacer and then use 12mm x 1mm washers to properly align the wheel (should be 5 each side if they're truly 1mm wide). The rear wheel kits should work as-is.

#3 The Creo's rear hub is mountain-bike-sized, not road bike. If you use a wheel with a road bike hub, you may find that the drive-side spacer provided with these boost conversion kits is too wide.

I bought the Creo because I wanted an electric bike that would be reasonably similar to my carbon road bike so I could ride it in a similar manner. Just further and faster.

My Cervelo has a 50/34 on the front and an 11-27 on the rear. Ideally I could get a 50T on the Creo then the powershift hub would effectively allow me to get a 34T low gear by shifting that and then I could get say an 11-30 for my rear cassette which would be similar since my Cervelo is a 10 speed, but the Creo is 11 speed.

Does that clarify things?
I also bought my Creo for the same reasons! I am thinking of replacing the stock 11-42 cassette for an 11-36, which would give tighter gear ratios. Would this help you? BTW,I am also in Canada, Hamilton Ontario area. Where are you?

I also bought my Creo for the same reasons! I am thinking of replacing the stock 11-42 cassette for an 11-36, which would give tighter gear ratios. Would this help you? BTW,I am also in Canada, Hamilton Ontario area. Where are you?
This Ultegra 11-34 is a far better fit for rolling hills:

3 complications re using other standard- or boost-width wheels on the Creo:

#1 Specialized incorporates a magnet into the rear wheel's hub (non-drive side). This may be just for the speed sensor in their Mission Control app (I don't know), but if it plays some role in regulating motor speed then not having one on a rear wheel might be problematic (again, I don't know).

#2 Assuming the hub-based magnet isn't essential, several companies make conversion kits to 'boost' standard width wheels. However, all I've seen assume a 15mm thru-axle in the front (a la mountain bikes), and the Creo uses 12mm thru-axles (like road bikes). Re the front wheel, I figured I'd buy the front kit, to get the needed disk rotor offset spacer and then use 12mm x 1mm washers to properly align the wheel (should be 5 each side if they're truly 1mm wide). The rear wheel kits should work as-is.

#3 The Creo's rear hub is mountain-bike-sized, not road bike. If you use a wheel with a road bike hub, you may find that the drive-side spacer provided with these boost conversion kits is too wide.
It won’t go without the hub magnet, but it really is just a center lock disc retainer. I ordered a couple I found online for when I do a new wheel set.

Here are some pics -

Attachments

• IMG_4410.jpg
    IMG_4410.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_4411.jpg
    IMG_4411.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 288
Also - one of the speed limit defeater devices is a planetary gear magnet (so it rotates slower)... I forget where I saw that, let me find that.

For the wheels, what you want to do is order MTB boost wheels and change the end caps on the front hub. I spoke with the fine folks at Stans and they suggested a carbon or alloy MTB wheelset - they also sell the endcaps to make it fit.

With that magnet, the back wheel is standard boost, really any MTB rear wheel will work if the tire is narrow enough. I'd go for a 24 mm or less width wheel.

DT Swiss sells wheels that fit (HG1800 or HGC1400 Spline) but I haven't found anybody that sells them in the US.

Back