Creo 1X drivetrain - Has frustrated me for some time

Hi, I had a problem with a replacement for the front wheel due to original being 110mm Boost and all wheels on offer were 100mm. I just got some aluminium tube that slid over the axle 5mm in length both sides and it works fine. I cant see why this would not work on the rear wheel
I ended up buying a set of boost MTB wheels for a gravel set. They were on clearance because the rim width is narrow and everyone is going wider these days. But narrow for MTB is good for a gravel set up for me. I was able to get MTB tools to make a sleeve as you describe to reduce the axle diameter from 15 mm to 12 mm. It's not necessary for the rear wheel because the spacing on the Creo rear wheel is MTB boost spacing.

I ended up doing the deluxe solution and bought the Roval Terra CLXs in the right size - expensive, but super light, fast and strong wheels!!
You’ll enjoy them. They came stock with my S-Works Creo. Lifetime crash warranty included. Just wish they were offered in 650b as well.

On another note, I've found a way to live with the 1X drivetrain. I bought a Specialized Aethos and use that for my road bike now. The Creo is for gravel and commuting and in those applications the 1X is much move livable.

On another note, I've found a way to live with the 1X drivetrain. I bought a Specialized Aethos and use that for my road bike now. The Creo is for gravel and commuting and in those applications the 1X is much move livable.
That's awesome! How does it feel after riding the Creo? Thinking about a +1.

The Aethos is the nicest road bike I've ever had. I have a carbon Cervelo RS, but the Aethos has a ride quality that is just smoother and nicer. I think it's probably because of another decade of research and understanding what makes a nice frame. Maybe it's placebo, but the Aethos feels like every pedal stroke transfers into more forward motion than compared to my Cevelo. The Rival AXS component group is a dream, it's quiet, shifts perfectly and is fast.

The Creo is a nice bike, but after riding the Aethos on the road I only want to ride the Aethos. Hence repurposing the Creo to gravel and commuting duties where it's better suited.

My experience with the Aethos has been very positive. Ironically, I had my eye on a Cervelo Caledonia, but when SRAM release Rival AXS I just wanted to get a bike with that component group and the Aethos was the first one that kind of met what I wanted. Now you can get a Caledonia with Rival AXS, but back in April when it was announced I didn't know if it was going to be 2 months or 2 years until such a model existed so I went for the Aethos. I might prefer the Caledonia if I were buying today, but I'm more than happy with the Aethos.

This is pretty much my thought process on my quiver, though I have a Roubaix instead of an Aethos. I would prefer an Aethos actually, but the Roubaix came through craigslist at a screaming good price, and I couldn't pass up the deal in the current state of the bike industry.

But it is a great combo for me as well: commute and gravel with the Creo, then an acoustic road bike for fun. I sometimes wish that I could divide the roles further, and have a Vado (non-SL) for commute and a Diverge for gravel, but the Creo does a great job of filling in both roles 95% of the time.

Last edited:
Back