Cracking Spoke Holes CC Wheel After 7k+ Miles

youth

This is my 2nd wheel after the original developed motor issues. Noticed this after cleaning dried salt/dirt off from winter commuting. Of the 5-6 other cracks I've seen this it the worse of it. I wonder if it'll be cheaper to buy a new wheel or get this re-laced with a new rim/spokes. If I can find a good matching rim I would definitely go with higher gauge spokes then the 12's used on these which take too much tension.

20180211_213147_resized.jpg

@youth if this happens then there is an issue. Typically when this happens it's due to the following:

- Spoke tension is too high for the rims
- Applied load is higher than the rating (check with the manufacturer)
- If you wheels have a low spoke count the wheels are certainly more susceptiable to having this issue in general
- Poor quality rims

Solution:

- See if you can get a rim with a higher load capacity
- Ensure spoke tensions are within recommended specifications from the rim manufacturer

Try visiting a good local shop who is open to working on these wheels and have them recommend a stronger set up for you.

good luck,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

@youth if this happens then there is an issue. Typically when this happens it's due to the following:

- Spoke tension is too high for the rims
- Applied load is higher than the rating (check with the manufacturer)
- If you wheels have a low spoke count the wheels are certainly more susceptiable to having this issue in general
- Poor quality rims

Solution:

- See if you can get a rim with a higher load capacity
- Ensure spoke tensions are within recommended specifications from the rim manufacturer

Try visiting a good local shop who is open to working on these wheels and have them recommend a stronger set up for you.

good luck,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

Does anyone have any idea who manufactures the rims for Juiced? If it's a generic wheel, what would be the recommended tension for it?

@Rob02150 like @Andy_in_CA says start fresh. Typically the bike rim manufacturers will label / mark their rims so you know what you have. If there is no marking then typically these are from mass produced companies and are of so so quality, so it may be hard if not impossible to get any specs.

Suggest possibly reaching out to Juiced on this one as they should know who their supplier is and get you the specs.

@Rob02150 like @Andy_in_CA says start fresh. Typically the bike rim manufacturers will label / mark their rims so you know what you have. If there is no marking then typically these are from mass produced companies and are of so so quality, so it may be hard if not impossible to get any specs.

Suggest possibly reaching out to Juiced on this one as they should know who their supplier is and get you the specs.
Thanks guy

I will definitely get the rim/wheel replaced. Just hoping it can be done with little downtime & for a reasonable cost as I suddenly have alot of other maintenance items to take of such as new chain/ rotor/ disc pads/ new fork oil/seals. The quality of the stock rims probably aren't suited to my riding style so I'd like to upgrade to something from brands such Velocity or Alexrims which have worked well for me. I just wonder if the holes in the Bafang hub are too large to accommodate thinner spokes in which case a builder would use washers?

Juiced actually changed their rear spokes to the Sapim brand 13 ga. spokes, and also changed the lacing pattern to an inbound/ outbound pattern in November. They report that the spoke head seats in the hub better and is supposed to alleviate the broken spoke problems. Time will tell. I have read reports of people going to bigger 12 and 11 ga spokes. I think having the wheel built properly is probably more important than just going with the "bigger is better" philosophy.

I went though another round of broken spokes with my 1st production run CCS and got a new set of 13g spokes and had a local bike shop re-lace the rim for me. Only few rides so far but it feels good.

old spokes 12 g all "inside the rim". The spokes that broke were always the "button" being sheared off at the flange.
old_spokes.pngbroken_Spoke.png

new spokes 13 g inside\outside laces. you can see that the spokes sit much better in the flange and I believe the white stuff is just a little grease? feels really solid
newSpokes.png

Last edited:
Hopefully my LBS will finally be able to get my hub redone with a new rim & spokes this week, but in the meantime I've been riding it as normal. Here's what it looks like now. The wobble looks bad, but I really don't feel it.

Shop suggested Velocity Cliffhanger rims & 13/14 butted spokes, but the rim is out of stock so not sure what he'll use now.
crosscurrent_rim_spokeholecrack1monthlater.jpg

Sadly my respoke with Juiced's new 13g spokes is being redone because the wheel build was done poorly. I found another shop do work on it that I have more confidence in.

crossing fingers.

Sadly my respoke with Juiced's new 13g spokes is being redone because the wheel build was done poorly. I found another shop do work on it that I have more confidence in.

crossing fingers.

Good luck with that. I just dropped off my wheel today at the LBS & just in time because one of those spoke nipples pulled right out with little effort.

They did manage to secure the Velocity Cliffhanger rim which looked pretty stout & heavy duty. The 13/14ga spokes they bought are smaller at the head end that I hope there isn't an issue at the hub holes.

Thinner at both ends? That does not make sense. Butted spokes are always thicker at the ends. If it is a single butted spoke, it would be thicker at the head. If it is a double butted spoke it would be thick at the ends and thin in the middle. The only kind of spokes that are thicker in the middle are bladed spokes.

I have the original CC which uses 12g spokes. Tbe 13/14g single butted spoke the shop bought are naturally smaller all around compared to the straight gauge 12's. I thought that as the hub is sized for that it could be an issue with it pulling through the hub holes? I've seen builds where washers were used for reinforcement.

Rear wheel is re laced. The dish wasn't right so that was adjusted. Feels good now. The LBS suggested I stop back in a month and they check the spoke tension. If it's loose they will put some special bike loctite on the treads.

I'll report back in a month.

20180322_004240.jpg20180322_004222.jpg20180322_004218.jpg20180322_004252.jpg20180322_004246.jpg20180322_004233.jpg

I got my rebuilt wheel back. I've never seen this lacing pattern before. Hope it all works out since it was $240~. Velocity Cliffhanger rims with Phil wood single butted spokes.
20180328_173516.jpg

I got my rebuilt wheel back. I've never seen this lacing pattern before.

The builder chose a four-cross pattern; each spoke intersects four other spokes on the way to the rim. A tangentially laced wheel provides better torque transfer, although I think technically it has less load bearing capacity.

Back