could use some advice on my first e-bike

ChloeSnow

Ok so I'm editing this post to make it simpler, lol. I'm considering 4 different bikes. The Stromer ST1 Platinum, the A2B Alva+, the Grace MX2 Urban, and the Evelo Aurora fully upgraded (all the extras). I'm 230 pounds (but don't look it), female, and live in Orlando, FL. Translated that means very flat, and mostly warm, with a few parts of the year being very rainy, but predictable. I'm using this as my main means of transportation within a city so that's an important consideration. I'm interested in premium features and have up to about 5k to spend, and willing to upgrade any bike I get with aftermarket parts to make it into what I want if it's possible. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
If I can vote: the Grace MX2 Urban for torque off the line, Stromer Platinum if you prefer a little top end speed, like 25 - 28 mph. I like the Grace's belt drive nuvinci CVT. No greasy legs etc. The Grace is a touch masculine IMO, compared to the Stromer Platinum which is piece of Art with the integrated battery. The simplicity of Stromer's Elite is not to be overlooked, no front derailleur, a bit more torque but not like a geared mid-drive. Good luck and welcome to the club! -S

Thanks so far! PS I'm real keen on the class 2 systems, but for the right premium accessories I'm probably cool with just having pedal assist only.

My first was (is) the Stromer ST1 Platinum. Great ride. Fast, smooth and goes a long way on a charge. Great deals out there on them now too!

From your list I like the Grace MX2 Urban the best. The Stromer Platinum (right now) seems to be the best value because there are deals out there offering them severely discounted.

Any thoughts on speed with the Grace? I don't even know what 25 mph or 28 mph on a bike feels like. Fastest I think I've been was 20 on a regular bike. The speed of the Grace is the ONLY turn off really. The ONLY one. The rest ...seriously it's a nice bike. Gates drive, nuvinci, nice brakes, quality computer/console, good range, bosch drive...it's just that speed limitation. Anyone who has rode one can give me some thoughts?

Also...I'm taking this thing 12 miles each way every day. That's 24 miles a day. I barely walk to the bus stop as it is, and I don't cycle or work out or play sports...so factor that in to your recommendations (open to other bikes too). Also has anyone rode the smart bike?

You can probably go 16 - 24 Florida miles in high pedal assist on nearly any 400 watt hour battery, this means you will likely have to use a lower assist level to make your round trip, unless you plan on charging (3.5 hours) at the destination. A lower assist level and sub 20 mph will greatly extend your range, you may need a few weeks to build your strength but eventually you could do it on a single battery/charge. I'm guessing that you will find 20 mph plenty fast, 28 maybe even a bit scary depending on road conditions, but I could be wrong, you'll have to tell us. There are skills to develop too, learning to anticipate threats and how quickly can you can safely stop, or not. Those 200 mm rotors and hydraulic brakes (Grace) should provide plenty of stopping power (jealous already). BTW - Court is probably the only one that has ridden that bike up here. -S

Lol. That's the purpose of finding a shop to ride this stuff. I want to know if I'm even going to be NEEDING to ride much beyond 20 mph. If not, why spend the extra money on a motor to get me there when I don't need it? Get nice parts like a gates drive instead. BUT ... if I can use the extra speed...it's something I might want to consider in my purchase. I'll let you all know how the test rides go when i get to do it. This WILL be my first e-bike, and really, my first purchase on transportation... I can't drive due to medical, so think about your first car purchase, and that's what this is to me...except I'm getting a nicer car than "first car", lol.

There's a big ebike shop in Ft. Lauderdale, which is a 25 min flight from Orlando. I'm hoping to get to that shop when I visit my mother this winter near Ft. Lauderdale. You probably have at least 1 in Orlando area as well, though I haven't looked into any there since I always fly directly to FLL when I visit.

Yeah you may be hard pressed to find a Grace bike, or the exact model/size you want. I predict a Stromer ST1 Platinum is in your future. See if they (whatever bike shop that may be) will take $3,600 for it. I've seen that price at a big online retailer, but then it is 150 to ship, even $3,750 would be a fair offer IMO. -S

I know the retailer you're talking about. I might order from them. Depends if my local shop will finance and if they have all the upgrades I want for it (the city kit, suspension fork, high capacity battery, seat post shock absorber) that is ASSUMING that I choose the Stromer. It's pretty much between the A2B and the Stromer or Grace. I'll be eliminating the A2B or deciding on it as soon as I do a test ride...I think court found me a local guy where I can ride one. The up side of the Stromer is that there is a local shop that WILL finance.

also a stroker looks less like an electric bike...and thats good with my school being known for bike theft. *** EDIT *** I just had to leave that autocorrect mistake in there...STROMER is what it should have said

Last edited:
Maybe insurance is in order, that and some heavy duty locks. I hate to say it but these things are very attractive to bike thieves. I'd keep the Stromer at home and ride a rusty, banged up oil dripping moped to school. A2B looks like the frame would flex.

I recommend the Stromer for you. The Stromer's have a lot going for them. They're strong, which will be a plus for you. The extra weight, makes the higher speed seem tamer. 62 lbs still isn't much, unless you have to take it up stairs. You'll be better off with the Stromer's gearless hub motor. Less moving parts means less potential for trouble. They have good dealer support though, just in case something does go wrong. Having both a throttle, and pedal assist is nice. If you get tired, you can just throttle it if you want. You might not use it much, but it's nice to have.

Since you'll be commuting in the city, you'll need the higher top speed it offers. Don't be intimidated by the 28 mph speed. That might be fast for most eBikes, but once you get used to it, it's not that fast. At 28 mph you can at least ride with traffic some of the time, if the need should arise. It's better to have the capability and not use it, than not have it at all.

Don't fool around, if you can afford it, make sure you get fenders, and lights, and the biggest battery offered right out of the box. If you do decide to buy a Stromer, I'm pretty confident you won't be disappointed. For this kind of money, why take a chance?

I own a Stromer elite step through with the larger battery. The geometry of the bike fits me perfectly. I believe a Stromer would make a great commuter bike. I have had absolutely no trouble with mine at all. I would think the step through is an important feature for a female commuter. Also, really like that it doesn't have the look of an electric bike.

I understand your concerns about not having a throttle. I had those concerns as well since I had not been biking for some time because of a bad knee. But I have had the Stromer for over a year and have never once missed having the throttle. The motor is so smooth and powerful, it will just fly on the highest setting - especially in the flats in Orlando. I usually stay in the Eco mode except for hills. Of course, I don't go as fast as many others on this forum. The elite will go as high as 22-24 mph. I can comfortably ride at around 16-18 mph in Eco forever. Those high speeds on a bike are really fast.

The weight of the bike is also a plus as a commuter. It just feels very solid while riding it, particularly at higher speeds. The weight is not so good if you need to put it on a bike rack often - which sounds like you won't be doing.

I love the look of the Grace bike, but the battery screams ebike.

Good luck on your search.

@EMG do you know if the Stromer can accept standard seat posts? I'm thinking of getting a pneumatic shock absorber for the seat...considering a thud buster... it would make my ride feel a lot softer.

also, just because Court mentioned it in an email, what do you think of the higher end easy motion bikes? Gotta check all my options.

Back