could use some advice on my first e-bike

I agree that two flight of stairs will not work with the Stromer - which is really too bad.

One of the frustrating things about the emerging ebike business is not all bikes can be had and serviced locally. Because three other Bosch powered bikes come to mind that are even lighter than the Grace. The two Felt bikes - Sporte and the 29er - and the Lapierre 27.5 hard tail. All three are 41 pounds or less if my memory is correct. So mid to lower 30's without the battery. Check out Court's reviews. Felt has some cool videos on their site. Do not underestimate how heavy a bike will feel hauling up stairs.

Long Island Electric Bikes sells these bikes. They ship throughout the states. I believe a good talk with Chris Nolte, the owner, about servicing options locally is in order.

Finally, if you are concerned about the 20 mph limit, check out badassebikes.com. I do think, however, you will find that Bosch bikes will be fast enough and safe. You really don't want to fall off a bike going 25-27 mph.

the most fun for my tailbone was when I carried my bike down the stairs on my porch. You lift the bike high enough to be carried on level ground and when you go down the stairs the wheels touch the stairs and that elevates your feet just enough for them to slide and off you go.... :)

I have since learned to lift my bike much higher

Available in Fla. at dealers. 32 lb. ebike. Titanium bike with down-tube, removable battery. ($5000.00 USD):
EBR full review: http://electricbikereview.com/prodecotech/titanio-29er/

Available in Fla. at dealers. 38 lb. ebike. Lightweight bike with down-tube, removable battery.($4000.00 USD):
EBR full review: http://electricbikereview.com/prodecotech/scorpion-27/

Both bikes built in Florida and available at dealers in Florida and online. Only you can decide if you can carry 32lb or 38lb up and down stairs but most bikes have removable battery packs. So you can knock off 5 or 8 pounds from the overall weight.

EDIT (11/12): We have been caught up on weight with this thread, admittedly for good reason. Just a thought; can you borrow a 30 pound bike for a week? Before and after work take it up and down the stairs. You don't have to ride it to work just haul it up and down the steps. Or get a cheap bike from Walmart ride it for 6 months in your spare time. You will be in better shape after 6 months and will better know what you need and want. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't start riding bikes with a 4 grand bike! These are still bikes, it is bike riding/commuting. Nothing like a moped.

Last edited:
But it's my only choice you see. You may have a choice, I can't get a moped license, can't drive a car. This is NOT just getting fit for me. This is a chance to finally not have to worry about creepy people walking home at 1am after labs at school. It's my chance to not have to stay at school till 5am because the stupid bus came 20 minutes early, or not at all and it was the last one of the night. Around town this is perfect. It presents it's challenges for work, I admit, but there are trains and busses that can both carry bikes. I have epilepsy. It's very controlled but still...I cant drive. As for 32 or 38 pounds? No problem. I picked up a 25 pound bag of rice last night and carried it around to get an idea of the weight with no issue. I figure I could carry 2 of them up and down stairs. I was also looking at the IZIP Dash and thinking that a lot of it's features are similar to a less purpose built version of the Stromer. If I could get them to upgrade the breaks to hydraulic breaks at the shop it might be good enough, and it's 49 pounds. That and I thought the cruise control was just nifty. I doubt I'd use the throttle much but it's a pretty nifty gadget. Also I was thinking if i picked up the IZIP Peak I could possibly add some of those premium features I liked on the grace in the future, like the belt drive and the nuvinci, and I noticed if I build my own city kit from amazon I can get quality stuff for 100 bucks or so. Cheaper than built in...and I kind of have a partiality to Topeak racks and panniers.

Hope you don't feel we are trying to discourage you. All power to you. I'm just throwing out things that I would think of to understand what I'm getting into. I commute to work on Specialized Turbo but before I pulled the trigger I scanned maps for the best route, then I tested the route over weekend and considered whether the risk was worth it, I insured my bike with an option of getting a free insured tow ride in case of crash or flat tire, I thought about how much money per month I would save and I set aside that amount every month so I could easily replace my bike if it fully amortizes, I thought through whether I would take a shower and how would I get in without too much interaction with coworkers, thought through how I would replenish my workshirts, towels etc... then I looked at the elevation gain and the steepness of the hills ... I could have just as easily chosen Stromer Elite instead if the hills were bigger, or a Faraday Porteur if I had a completely flat commute.

I am of a similar weight as you are but if I had a flat commute without any persistent winds I would not think much about 250 kw motor or 500 or 350. The motor does not work that hard on flats.

I was also looking at the IZIP Dash and thinking that a lot of it's features are similar to a less purpose built version of the Stromer. If I could get them to upgrade the breaks to hydraulic breaks

About that... the Dash is my first bike with any kind of disk brakes and I've never tried hydraulic ones, but I fail to understand what the big deal is. I can easily lock the wheels with the stock brakes and my hands don't have superhuman strength: hydraulic brakes could be lighter to operate but how could they make the stopping distance any shorter?

I haven't tried this, but if the bike had a throttle, how about pushing it up the stairs assisted by the motor instead of carrying? Depends of course on how steep and awkward the stairs are.

Paul,

When you're dealing with wet conditions or freezing conditions is where the disk brakes save your butt.

About that... the Dash is my first bike with any kind of disk brakes and I've never tried hydraulic ones, but I fail to understand what the big deal is. I can easily lock the wheels with the stock brakes and my hands don't have superhuman strength: hydraulic brakes could be lighter to operate but how could they make the stopping distance any shorter?

I haven't tried this, but if the bike had a throttle, how about pushing it up the stairs assisted by the motor instead of carrying? Depends of course on how steep and awkward the stairs are.

When you're dealing with wet conditions or freezing conditions is where the disk brakes save your butt.

But I meant what's the big diff between cable and hydraulic disk brakes? Everybody's always ragging on the Dash brakes not being hydraulic...

yeah. true not that much. Actually the much touted hydraulic brakes could theoretically freeze in extreme cold weather and when mechanical will continue working.

After having both the biggest difference for me is if they work, IE I squeeze before I leave and they feel good, they are a no brainier while the mech brakes may need adjusting while out and depending in the unit keeping the rotor centered takes some effort. Hydraulics don't need adjusting, are easier to modulate and and take less effort. Us older riders appreciate the less effort as the aches and pains don't go away any more, just get more and less.

Naw, while it kind of feels like you're discouraging me, I'm glad you are, I'd never have thought of the Stromer weight issue and would have brought it home only to fight to get it up the stairs. I'm really glad that was brought up. This way I know DEFINITELY not to get the a2b, most likely not a Stromer and that my target weight is probably around 50 pounds or less. It's mostly a matter of me making decisions now.

Mechanical disc brakes suck - period. Everytime I get off a hydraulic equipped e-bike and back on my Dash I am suddenly reminded of the fact. Even with new pads I was not able to 'lock em up', shredded one cable. I'm sure they are sufficient for a large segment of users, but I'll never be happy with the stock brakes, and it is one of the primary reasons I'm test riding all kinds of different bikes. And then there is the adjustment issue... Sorry to jack your thread but it had to be said. -S

Is there any way you can find another solution as to where to store an ebike? You mentioned maybe moving to a first floor apartment; that would be a good idea. Or is there some kind of onsite storage or bike rack or something? I guarantee you will not want to drag a 50+ lb bike up stairs and will come to probably resent having to do so. But neither should you make compromises on the bike you get simply due to weight and purchase a bike that isn't the best choice for you simply due to weight. Does your apartment complex have garages? Storage areas? Anything?

Way back in the early 80's when I was in college I had a 2-stroke gas noped bike, a Yammahopper. Loved that thing. It was heavy, an was not an ebike. I used a kryptonite lock to lock it to a bike rack at the apartment complex I lived in. Fortunately no one ever touched it and I had the noped until I sold it 18 months later. If I had to lock a bike outside (or wanted to) I would purchase 2 or 3 super heavy duty locks to make it such a pain for anyone to try and steal that they wouldn't bother. There are some very badass locks on the market. I'd use a combo of U-locks and super heavy commercial equipment type locks and also put a cover on to protect the bike from any weather. I would also remove the battery and any item easily stolen and take those inside. But there is no way I'd try or be able to haul an ebike up 1 or 2 flights of stairs.

Mechanical disc brakes suck - period. Everytime I get off a hydraulic equipped e-bike and back on my Dash I am suddenly reminded of the fact. Even with new pads I was not able to 'lock em up', shredded one cable. I'm sure they are sufficient for a large segment of users, but I'll never be happy with the stock brakes, and it is one of the primary reasons I'm test riding all kinds of different bikes. And then there is the adjustment issue... Sorry to jack your thread but it had to be said. -S
The shimano disk brakes on the dash are spongy for sure, though I've been able to get them adjusted to be able to lock up front and rear... You need to adjust both pad sides (one with the Allen key, one with the cable adjustment) and keep the pad clearance close. If my bike is any indicatation, dash rotors need tuning for best performance. The shimanos also need frequent wear adjustment which is a pain.

But, all mechanical discs are not like this.... Avid bb7's are a completely different story, and I know at least one dash owner here has swapped them, it would be an easier retrofit than hydraulic and much cheaper.

That said, I don't know that the dash is the answer here... It will be 50+lbs with a rack, lights, etc. I bring mine up one flight each morning at work (this is with additional weight of loaded panniers) and I would not want to do much more than that.

Something like the faraday porteur at 39 lbs might be a but easier to live with, but those felt bikes mentioned above are right in there too at 41.

I wouldn't worry about 20mph vs 28mph.. For a 12 mile commute the difference would be just 11 minutes if you could go full speed the whole way. In the real world of stopping at intersection and slowing for bad sections of road or other traffic conditions, etc the difference would be even less. And if you are not an experienced cyclist, 20 is going to be easier to manage anyway.

Thank you all so much. You probably kept me from spending more than I needed to. I'm thinking of ordering the dash from NYCE wheels and asking them if they can fit the breaks I want to it for me along with some sort of seat post suspension. That would make me a happy camper. Yeah, it won't look like a work of art like the Stromer, but it's a hell of a lot better than walking or even having to pedal the whole way. I do really think the breaks are important to get retrofitted though because from what I've heard it helps a lot in wet weather and...well...florida. If any of the ladies here have any thoughts on making this a more feminine bike give me a shout.

Thank you all so much. You probably kept me from spending more than I needed to. I'm thinking of ordering the dash from NYCE wheels and asking them if they can fit the breaks I want to it for me along with some sort of seat post suspension. That would make me a happy camper. Yeah, it won't look like a work of art like the Stromer, but it's a hell of a lot better than walking or even having to pedal the whole way. I do really think the breaks are important to get retrofitted though because from what I've heard it helps a lot in wet weather and...well...florida. If any of the ladies here have any thoughts on making this a more feminine bike give me a shout.
Chloe, you're gonna have a tough time adding hydraulic brakes to that bike. You can ask Shea he tried extensively. The Peak brakes might actually fit come to think of it because they use the same unusual 3 wire switch. Regarding making the bike more feminine, I'm not a girl but you could fit it with different color grips, pedals and a saddle. I hope that helps. I feel like the Felt SPORTe or NINEe is a better bike given your needs, but I'm sure you'll enjoy any electric bike except when you need to carry it up stairs. I live on a second floor apartment and the only thing that discourages me from riding most of the bikes in my lineup is the weight. I have been riding the Super Race because it's 39lbs like the Felt bike. It's really easy to carry, but frankly I'm not fit to carry much weight due to a back injury while I was in the service. I certainly won't make the mistake again of getting a place without proper bike storage.

well...the decision is made me thinks. An upgraded Dash. I only have one last question. Have any of you dash owners had electrical trouble from riding in the rain? (possibly quite heavy rain, this is florida)

Hi Chloe!!! If you watch the reviews from the homepage and YouTube the Stromer St1 Platinum seems to be the best buy. Have you considered the Neo Cross from Easy Motion? It's a gorgeous looking electric bike with high quality components.

Back