Convert my 80s Peugeot to electric or get a new electric?

doubleaxe

Region
USA
I have a 80s road bike that's extremely light. I've swapped the drop bars for more of a straight bar and it now has a rack in the back. I have some pretty skinny tires on there as well.

I'm just wondering if I were to convert this to an electric, do you have any suggestions for what type of battery to get? I'm new to the topic of electric bikes but am very curious.

I would mostly be using it for commuting around town. I live in Pittsburgh and there are a number of potholes around and the drivers are not the most bike friendly.

Attachments

• PXL_20220210_164411246.jpg
    PXL_20220210_164411246.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 289
  • PXL_20220210_164416656.jpg
    PXL_20220210_164416656.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
This would be a fun project. I love classic bikes with lugged frames. Here is a British one I did about six-months ago. The battery goes in the water bottle cage. You can see the connector. It is 85Nm. And here is a new red bike that made electric last week for a woman who just moved here from Japan. She will be trying a carless life style for one year. Just beef up the tires and brakes on the Peugeot and you will have a better bike than the ones from stores.
1644530708731.jpeg

1644530927088.jpeg

It rains in Pittsburgh doesn't it? I find rim brakes lost 2/3 or more of their power when I ran through a puddle. In city traffic ability to dodge the blind driver can be important. I like disk brakes almost as much as I liked my Bendix coaster brake. I use 160 mm cable pull tektros, and they have enough power for me + 80 lb supplies on the back. 250 lb up people might do better with hydraulic 180 mm up on long Pittsburgh downhills.
If you were 20 in 1970, you might enjoy bigger tires for hitting potholes, and a drop frame to ease climbing on and off. I got a lot stiffer age 55 and things have not improved since.
Plus with a new bike, you have the chance to get a suspension which smooths out the bumps even more.
If you are going for light weight, look at cannondale & orbea built bikes.
Bikes with mahle geared hub kit are quite light too, although they don't excell at carrying heavy weights up long hills.
I've built the bike left with a geared hub kit on the front. You want a lot of weight on the front if you're going to do that. The kit allows me to buy any brand battery, not a patented single source battery that came from the motor vendor. I paid $630 for the 840 wh battery that is now 3 1/2 years old. I paid $221 for motor controller brake handles pas pickup display. That one wore out in ~4500 miles. I got my money's worth. Installation materials were $80 more. I bought a replacement $740 geared hub motor before the failure, and had it on in two afternoons.
People whine about the messiness of external wires tie-wrapped to the frame. I find having 18" of extra wire looped up on the fork, I don't have to unwire the motor to replace a tube or tire. Just cut a tie wrap & replace it. I find dorman crimp terminals from the auto supply to be 100% reliable, compared to some patented battery contacts on invisible press in batteries.
Have fun shopping or building. Then later riding.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response @PedalUma. When you say beef up the tires do you mean get wider tires? I have some gravel kings on it right now. Also, would you expand on what you mean by update the brakes?

@indianajo Yes it does rain here in Pittsburgh! It's also full of hills as you know. The hills are the main reason I want to get an e-bike. I was used to biking around the flats in Oakland, CA. Going up the hills is just a little much for me. Plus, I'm not sure if it's the right mentality to take as bikers here often just move over to the side of the road when cars are behind them leading to drivers passing haphazardly at times. I know it's safer to take up the whole lane when there's no bike lane, but people here just don't seem to be down with that generally even though that's what you're supposed to do. So I thought keeping up with traffic on the two-lane roads that don't have bike lanes wouldn't upset the urgent impatient drivers. I'm not sure if I'm thinking along the right line here that's where I'm currently at.

@doubleaxe, Thank you. If I can do it, so can you. Gravel tires are great. Get them as wide as you can and maybe use some tire liners. I really like the 945 Alloy pads from Bike Smart. I just this hour purchased four pairs. I will see if I have a photo of them. Their inserts come in colors and are replaceable. Here is one of my go to rides with gravel tires and a classic lugged frame. I have more sophisticated bikes, but this three speed is too much fun. You can click on thumbnails, then click to magnify. I included a couple of other classic bikes that may inspire and encourage you.
1644534633643.jpeg

Attachments

• Univega1102.JPG
    Univega1102.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 200
  • Univega11.JPG
    Univega11.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 202
  • UnionJack14.JPG
    UnionJack14.JPG
    823.1 KB · Views: 200
  • R183.JPG
    R183.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 213
  • R182.JPG
    R182.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 182
  • R181.JPG
    R181.JPG
    720.8 KB · Views: 204
@PedalUma Nice builds! So do you typically carry your battery with you when you park it somewhere? When I lived in China e-bike batteries were a magnet for thieves. I assume this isn't the case in every place but surely they have some resale value.

@PedalUma Nice builds! So do you typically carry your battery with you when you park it somewhere? When I lived in China e-bike batteries were a magnet for thieves. I assume this isn't the case in every place but surely they have some resale value.
I typically do not let my bikes out of sight. Sometimes you can disguise a battery. They also just pop out and weigh 3 pounds if you wanted to take it with you. I put a bottle top on a battery this week and the owner has ordered eBay Nike stickers to make it vanish. The stickers are reflective and six inches long. People have seen Nike water bottles for thirty years so their brains cannot see anything else.
1644605525332.jpeg

This is a new $299 Target bike with classic lines that I improved and made electric two weeks ago. Check out the wires.

Attachments

• Gateway.JPG
    Gateway.JPG
    935.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Gateway1.JPG
    Gateway1.JPG
    539.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Gateway4.JPG
    Gateway4.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 177
@doubleaxe : That is a nice, time capsule Peugeot. I still have my 1981 Motobecane Grand Touring, though she has sat down in the basement for several decades now, collecting dust. Peugeot and Motobecane were very popular racing and touring bikes back in the 70's and 80's. Sad to see them gone now (I don't consider the Motobecanes from Bike Direct as having any bloodlines connected to the original French made Motobecane.

Hey @PedalUma : Speaking of DoubleAxe's Peugeot, as you know, those French bikes featured bottom brackets held together by either a French/Swiss thread or a British thread caps. With your mid drive motor application on an old French bike, are these bottom bracket threads problematic for fitting that motor?

bottom bracket threads problematic
Good question. These motors fit into or I should say insert through a standard BB shell. The BB portion that goes through the bike's BB shell is 34mm in diameter. It attaches outside of the BB shell with its own system so the TPI of the host bike does not make any difference. That $299 bike from Target had a one piece American BB crankset. So I did a work around for it with an eccentric insert. Bikes Direct sucks. I also had a pearl white 1981 Motobecane Grand Touring with blue grips. I loved that bike. @doubleaxe will want to do a contiguous shift housing run over the BB so it is not crimped. That would also be a good time to install a nice friction thumb shifter on the right HB. Did you see how that Target bike has internal cable routing!
This guy gave that bike a 1 Star Review because the brakes were backwards. Notice the word REAR?
1644627357778.png

I have a 80s road bike that's extremely light. I've swapped the drop bars for more of a straight bar and it now has a rack in the back. I have some pretty skinny tires on there as well.

I'm just wondering if I were to convert this to an electric, do you have any suggestions for what type of battery to get? I'm new to the topic of electric bikes but am very curious.

I would mostly be using it for commuting around town. I live in Pittsburgh and there are a number of potholes around and the drivers are not the most bike friendly.
I would say that if the bike has particular appeal as a project you can wrap up a lot of time and money into while learning "e-bike speak", then go for it. Otherwise, I would buy a sturdy e-bike (thinking disc brakes here). No need to go high end. Get something with a minimum of proprietary parts and ride the heck out of it. Let THAT bike teach you a ton.

I would say that if the bike has particular appeal as a project you can wrap up a lot of time and money into while learning "e-bike speak", then go for it. Otherwise, I would buy a sturdy e-bike (thinking disc brakes here). No need to go high end. Get something with a minimum of proprietary parts and ride the heck out of it. Let THAT bike teach you a ton.
@AHicks is right. At some point you need to jump in. Making screw ups is part of the learning curve. I like that your bike has 40 years of sequestered carbon. All that stuff does not need to be mined again and manufactured and transported. It is a cool bike. Even if it is not perfect, it will be yours. Your creation. Then you can readapt with time and experience. Rim brakes are 700c, discs are often 160mm. 7,000 mm beats 160mm for leverage. Upgrade the brakes to double the stopping power on the 700c rims and it will stop better than mechanical disc brakes. Just maintain the rims clean.

It depends. Installing a tsdz2 mid drive is pretty straightforward if you know your way around a bicycle and it functions really well with substantial and natural torque sensing assist like the big name brands, of which I have one of those too. If you have an attachment to your bike, but need assist it is rewarding. Be prepared to say goodbye to your "extremely light" bike though. The motor adds around 6 or 7 pounds after swapping out the stock crank assembly, plus the weight of a battery.

I just removed one from my dahon Jack, converted the motor to work with a coaster brake and installed it on my 70s Sears 10 speed that I has already converted to a 3 speed coaster brake.
Simple to work on and install and you can remove it and install on another bike at will.

Need to get to some yard work but here it is as of a couple minutes ago.

IMG_20220213_141041292.jpg

I thought at first you were talking about this tune. The bike was thrashed, grimy, chipped, barely functional. I worked on it when everyone else was rapping and yelling at their TVs. She sure knew how to sing with passion.
1644945817492.jpeg

Attachments

• DSCF9316.JPG
    DSCF9316.JPG
    757.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF9321.JPG
    DSCF9321.JPG
    641.1 KB · Views: 132
Back