Chili Verde

I care about everybody's cost of living. Life here ain't cheap in any way/shape/form.
It isn't cheap, but we're way better off than the Ukrainians are ...

Sadly, I think if it comes down to expensive prices for us for an extended period or totally screwing Ukraine, I'm pretty sure I know what America's choice will be 😞.

I care about everybody's cost of living. Life here ain't cheap in any way/shape/form.
Certainly my reaction to fuel prices is to not drive. Neither my van or wife's car use much fuel or pollute if we don't turn them on.

Combining trips and such if we need to carry stuff, riding bikes when we are just going out for quick errands, little things like that, that seemed like a PITA originally, but not so much now.

Bad weather is still a PITA, though. It's been pretty nice the last couple of days so I was able to ride two days in a row, but still running the woodstove at night.

It isn't cheap, but we're way better off than the Ukrainians are ...

Sadly, I think if it comes down to expensive prices for us for an extended period or totally screwing Ukraine, I'm pretty sure I know what America's choice will be 😞.
Yes, luckily I can afford it, but many are not so lucky. We have first world problems, Ukraine is suffering horribly.

Certainly my reaction to fuel prices is to not drive. Neither my van or wife's car use much fuel or pollute if we don't turn them on.

Combining trips and such if we need to carry stuff, riding bikes when we are just going out for quick errands, little things like that, that seemed like a PITA originally, but not so much now.

Bad weather is still a PITA, though. It's been pretty nice the last couple of days so I was able to ride two days in a row, but still running the woodstove at night.
I'll be walking to the store with my market cart when we get to the east coast.

I don't understand why we don't have an immediate, national, conservation campaign getting going. For one thing, if demand drops, prices will, too. Maybe they don't WANT anyone to use less 🤔?

Maybe they don't WANT anyone to use less ?
Bingo.
That's why we live in a sea of advertising, and why I don't trust much that I see on ad supported media., like CNN and FOX.
Someone did a study way back in the 80s and found that people who were upset bought more stuff, IIRC.
So the big media companies ramped up the volume to keep the advertisers happy, I think.
That's been a guiding principle of FacePalm, since they began.

How did Putin got ahold of my ex-wife's play book? There is no negotiating with these types. When you take a step back, they take a step forward. When you offer an olive branch, they hit you with it.
I just got back from a cold and windy group ride. There were about fifty. Which is surprising because of the high winds. We planned the ride so that we went to four supermarkets and two hardware stores all by taking safe bike lanes and bike paths to help demonstrate that you do not need a car to get most errands done. Then I stopped at a Jamba Juice and am now sipping a Mango Go Go with a splash of adult juice. It is amazingly yummy. Better than something on a tropical beach.
1646449420172.jpeg
1646449492799.jpeg

Anyway , politics and religion don't belong on EBR, even if the politicians and preachers seem to act like fools or worse, and there are more stories about both than I could ever read flooding the net.

I am slogging my way through the reports that PatriciaK linked to a few pages back and I am developing a theory that the people writing these things need a bonehead freshman writing course.

There is no reason to use 3000 plus pages to say "we are all going to H*ll if we don't change our ways. " Especially since we all pretty much knew that decades ago.

Then I stopped at a Jamba Juice and am now sipping a Mango Go Go with a splash of adult juice. It is amazingly yummy. Better than something on a tropical beach.
A neighboring business owner recently had a man go Go GO with a splash of adult juice right in the middle of her sales floor. She didn't care for the experience, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

This is where I would normally allude to 'first world problems' but since war and shelling nuclear power plants are now first world problems....

I absolutely do not trust local accounts that there has been no radiation leakage from Zaporizhzhia.

I'm not saying I'm certain it's leaking, only that the history of nuclear power, and every nuclear accident, has been shrouded in lies in the US and Japan as well as Russia, where disinformation is a form of currency. If the fuel was not loaded, and didn't catch fire, it's probably looking pretty good at the moment.

From Yahoo:
"More broadly, experts expressed worries about access to real time data necessary for gauging the radiation situation on the ground.
The official website for radiation readings at the Zaporizhzhia site was not immediately accessible as of Friday afternoon, Lyman said."

Oh, yeah. I drive so little already that when I do drive, it's a rare treat. The CRX gets 55 MPG at 65 and 50 MPG at 80 MPH, so he almost doesn't need gas, but I do give him a tank of premium every now and then as a treat because he's such a good boy and costs me so little, passed SMOG with tremendous numbers.
Let Putin be, nobody is killing him.
Look US evaded Iraq and hunted Qaudaffy. RUSSIA did not meddle in It .

It is true that the Iraq war had a false-flag justification that was equally inane, and a lot of innocent people died there. However, it's not logical to suggest that because they didn't meddle with us then, under a more corrupt US administration, we shouldn't meddle with them now. Even if the conditions were identical-- and they are not, it's a valid comparison, not a perfect one-- just because we did something cruel and stupid and Russia didn't intervene doesn't mean that when Russia does something cruel and stupid, we shouldn't intervene. The judgments will be by public opinion, sure, but there is no etiquette in war.

To me, the question of whether we should intervene or not is a strategic one. There are really significant risks to doing nothing as well as to action. Getting more involved could cause all hell to break loose, and so could staying out. I do not feel I have enough information to have a sensible opinion. If we could prevail quickly, with only a limited nuclear exchange, that might actually turn out to be the lesser of many evils, and it completely freaks me out that this even crossed my mind. But the results of sustained criticality at a nuclear power plant accident are not to be underestimated. We have no idea what the hell is going on under Chernobyl and Fukushima and no way of finding out. Both have had periods long after the accident when radiation spiked dramatically, and we have no idea why or what they will do 10, 20, 50, 200 or 2000 years from now. (Okay, 2000 is a bit of a stretch!) The exclusion zones ain't such a great place to be, despite goofy media reports suggesting that they really just turn into wonderful wildlife sanctuaries with a few funny-looking trees, and a squirrel or two with a third ear.

There's a huge wildcard in all this -- if the conflict healed partisanship in the US and resulted in a more unified Nato... maybe that leads to a way out of this, if it would make a difference, though I can't begin to imagine what that might look like.

If partisanship departed from EBR, I'm sure we could easily take over the world and be on our way to Mars in no time, but forgive me for belaboring the obvious-- and gallows humor during a terrible humanitarian crisis.

I guess an EMP pulse from a nuclear detonation would fry an eBike controller, huh?

Former Vice President Mike Pence: no room in Republican Party for 'Putin apologists'​

View attachment 115881View attachment 115882
Pence is a spineless, Trump swallowing biAtch. He's a day late and a dollar short.
Very easy to grow a set and talk big once the bully has left the room

Last edited:
I absolutely do not trust local accounts that there has been no radiation leakage from Zaporizhzhia.

I'm not saying I'm certain it's leaking, only that the history of nuclear power, and every nuclear accident, has been shrouded in lies in the US and Japan as well as Russia, where disinformation is a form of currency. If the fuel was not loaded, and didn't catch fire, it's probably looking pretty good at the moment.

From Yahoo:
"More broadly, experts expressed worries about access to real time data necessary for gauging the radiation situation on the ground.
The official website for radiation readings at the Zaporizhzhia site was not immediately accessible as of Friday afternoon, Lyman said."

Oh, yeah. I drive so little already that when I do drive, it's a rare treat. The CRX gets 55 MPG at 65 and 50 MPG at 80 MPH, so he almost doesn't need gas, but I do give him a tank of premium every now and then as a treat because he's such a good boy and costs me so little, passed SMOG with tremendous numbers.

It is true that the Iraq war had a false-flag justification that was equally inane, and a lot of innocent people died there. However, it's not logical to suggest that because they didn't meddle with us then, under a more corrupt US administration, we shouldn't meddle with them now. Even if the conditions were identical-- and they are not, it's a valid comparison, not a perfect one-- just because we did something cruel and stupid and Russia didn't intervene doesn't mean that when Russia does something cruel and stupid, we shouldn't intervene. The judgments will be by public opinion, sure, but there is no etiquette in war.

To me, the question of whether we should intervene or not is a strategic one. There are really significant risks to doing nothing as well as to action. Getting more involved could cause all hell to break loose, and so could staying out. I do not feel I have enough information to have a sensible opinion. If we could prevail quickly, with only a limited nuclear exchange, that might actually turn out to be the lesser of many evils, and it completely freaks me out that this even crossed my mind. But the results of sustained criticality at a nuclear power plant accident are not to be underestimated. We have no idea what the hell is going on under Chernobyl and Fukushima and no way of finding out. Both have had periods long after the accident when radiation spiked dramatically, and we have no idea why or what they will do 10, 20, 50, 200 or 2000 years from now. (Okay, 2000 is a bit of a stretch!) The exclusion zones ain't such a great place to be, despite goofy media reports suggesting that they really just turn into wonderful wildlife sanctuaries with a few funny-looking trees, and a squirrel or two with a third ear.

There's a huge wildcard in all this -- if the conflict healed partisanship in the US and resulted in a more unified Nato... maybe that leads to a way out of this, if it would make a difference, though I can't begin to imagine what that might look like.

If partisanship departed from EBR, I'm sure we could easily take over the world and be on our way to Mars in no time, but forgive me for belaboring the obvious-- and gallows humor during a terrible humanitarian crisis.

I guess an EMP pulse from a nuclear detonation would fry an eBike controller, huh?
Did I mention that I live about an hour from Three Mile Island ? Or that people who lived in the immediate area as recently as maybe 6 or 8 years ago still received a packet of iodine tablets in the mail several times a year so they didn't absorb radioactive iodine from the environment? Perfectly safe, nothing to see here, move along .

Beautiful, sunny, not too chili but quite verde on the island today - I needed a break from all the horror, so took my ebike out for 16 miles to clear my mind work off some of the doom thinking! Riding and serenity prayer allow for some perspective...

IMG_20220305_140143374_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20220305_141530662_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Back