Good Reads for the Season

Which narrator is your favorite?
There are many.
I get audiobooks from my local library through a service called "Libby" but also have had an Audible account for quite a while and have a very extensive library of audiobooks.

My suggestion is go to Audible.com (I don't think that you need a membership to do this) or try the Libby app and you can listen to samples of books that interest you.
The library App is great as it's free but you can't always get books when you want them.
Gerard Doyle, John Lee, Robert Glenister and Rory Kinnear are just a few of my favorites, but my tastes are usually UK oriented for novels..

For something more US based, some James Lee Burke books are narrated by Will Patton and it really works well - just not to everyone's taste.
Also the latest Harry Bosch books are narrated by Titus Welliver - the actor who plays him on the TV shows.

In my previous post I missed one really good series.
It's also by Philip Kerr and is about a football coach (UK football that is) who in the first book "January Window" ends up having to solve a murder.

Hope that helps.

I thought this thread just vanished. I am glad to see it is back.

I just read a super steamy book from a female perspective that is full of sex and musical references called, 'This Bird Has Flown.' That is the subtitle for the song 'Norwegian Wood.' It takes place in LA, Vegas, London, and Oxford, culminating in a rock concert at Albert hall and one in Paris.

Reading books from different perspectives deepens our abilities to connect with other minds and to be a better friend, says David Brooks in his latest, 'How To Know A Person.' It is filled with many hundreds of connections to lit., studies, psychology, and personal and age development with many experts and personal stories from people. It is really about how to be a better friend. Knowing more about one's self in inter-relation and that looking at others with compassion can cause a positive shift with growth. I am 4/5th's of the way through and enjoying the journey even though it brings out pain in my own failings. Okay, so now I have a better idea of what to work on. What we hold sacred is a big tell, worth exploring.

Last edited:
has anyone read"no country for old men" by corma mccarthy,i finally watched the movie the other day and decided it was a cliff hanger?

no country for old men
It looks really good. Sort of like Breaking Bad. It starts when guy out hunting runs across a spot in the badlands where there has been a huge shootout in a drug deal gone South and finds millions of dollars in one car and a trunk full of H in the other. The one mortally wounded survivor wants water and he does not have any to give. That intro is fraught with dilemmas.

I just read a gothic novel. It is not the sort of thing I would normally pick-up. It was very good. It take places in an ever so slightly alternate universe that is slightly more magical than ours and mostly by the sea in a place like 1840's Scotland. It has mythical creatures, murders, and some practical magic, along with triumph, and betrayal. Again, it is a worthy read for a rainy night or two this Spring. It is called 'All The Murmuring Bones.' It also has a road trip adventure and some ghosts. Did I say mermaids? The main character is a young woman who runs from an arranged marriage at a decaying castle to find herself.

I am reading a truly great new novel. It is called Ministry of Time.
liked the semi-gothic fantasy stuff when i was a teenager( had a very bad experience doing astral projection- no more of that stuff,there is a darkness awaiting beyond black) still like stuff by robert howard,got a big anthology of hp lovecraft havent tackled it yet.

I finished my best book so far in a year. It is called The Ministry of Time. British spies capture a time travel portal from the future and pull several people from the past who were documented as about to die. The main character is to assimilate her assigned person, a polar explorer, from the past to the present. So, the book can explore all sorts of current social issues from another perspective, explaining them such as modern gender roles and immigration. It has friendships, family issues, love, and murders. And some really bad folks from the dystopian polluted future. It morphs into a thriller with unexpected plot twists.

scariest book i read a few years back was"the taking" by dean koontz,it goes into a "what if" that is absolutely terrifying,much better than his puppy dog fantasies.

I tend to latch onto an author and read a lot of their books. Lately it’s been CJ Box. I read a lot of Lee Childs-Reacher books but they are growing a little old since his brother started. I’ve also read a lot of classics, like DaFoe (Robinson Crusoe), Jack London (White Fang), Herman Melville (Moby Dick), Hawthorn (The Scarlet Letter) and some others I’m probably forgetting. I think people often forget about the classics and think they will be boring.

There are many.
I get audiobooks from my local library through a service called "Libby" but also have had an Audible account for quite a while and have a very extensive library of audiobooks.

My suggestion is go to Audible.com (I don't think that you need a membership to do this) or try the Libby app and you can listen to samples of books that interest you.
The library App is great as it's free but you can't always get books when you want them.
Gerard Doyle, John Lee, Robert Glenister and Rory Kinnear are just a few of my favorites, but my tastes are usually UK oriented for novels..

For something more US based, some James Lee Burke books are narrated by Will Patton and it really works well - just not to everyone's taste.
Also the latest Harry Bosch books are narrated by Titus Welliver - the actor who plays him on the TV shows.

It's also by Philip Kerr and is about a football coach (UK football that is) who in the first book "January Window" ends up having to solve a murder.

Hope that helps. As we gear up for some good reads this season, it's always exciting to find books that match our interests, whether it's in cooking, biking, or any other hobby. It reminds me how valuable it is to have the right resources when you’re deep into a subject, just like nursing students who need support for their academic work. Websites like nursingpaper.com discounts can really make a difference in helping manage workload and costs. What books are you planning to dive into this season?
I’d recommend "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig. While it’s not directly about e-bikes, it dives into the philosophy of quality and the joy of the journey, which resonates with the experience of riding. It's one of those books that really makes you think about how you approach life and could add a deeper perspective to your rides.

Last edited:
lee child like clive cussler,got a little old with his predictable heros and plot lines,patterson is pretty good i think he must oversee his ghost writers pretty well, what i really like are the techno sci fiction of writers like heinlein and clarke,aso missing bradbury very much( please forgive my lack of caps) jeff doherty area 51 series was very entertaining,crichton was among the best with the jurrasic park series being so much better then the movie versions,the list goes on and on,strangely enough i could never get into dune or the hobbit series not to mention harry potter,must give credit to bram stoker and some of the old masters edgar poe,et al and i must forget in my teen years henry g felsen and his hotrod stories.

There are many.

I'm also looking for some advice. I need some books about finances because I have such a course at university, and it's not that easy for me. It can be audiobooks or physical books. I also need to write on such topics a lot, and https://essays.edubirdie.com/finance-assignments helps me out from time to time, but still, I'd like to improve my own knowledges and skills, so I'd appreciate all the suggestions.
Hope that helps.
I also have an Audible account, and I've tried to listen to audiobooks a few times, but I just can't concentrate. I listen, then I understand that I missed something because I was in my thoughts. Maybe I'm not ready yet, so I stick to physical books for now.
And I wish I had more time to read, because in 2024 I've finished just 6 books, and it's not many.
Now I'm reading The Stranger by Albert Camus. It's good, but I need to read more to understand more.

I also have an Audible account, and I've tried to listen to audiobooks a few times, but I just can't concentrate. I listen, then I understand that I missed something because I was in my thoughts. Maybe I'm not ready yet, so I stick to physical books for now.
And I wish I had more time to read, because in 2024 I've finished just 6 books, and it's not many.
Now I'm reading The Stranger by Albert Camus. It's good, but I need to read more to understand more.
Libby is a fine app. I'm too cheap to use Audible (he says after spending thousands on an e-bike). Only downside of Libby is selection from local library might be somewhat limited by the collection, especially when you click the "available now" filter.

Libby is a fine app. I'm too cheap to use Audible (he says after spending thousands on an e-bike). Only downside of Libby is selection from local library might be somewhat limited by the collection, especially when you click the "available now" filter.
This may be true for local library, but you may find that larger library networks in your state, even in the country, offer cheap or free access to their online catalog.

I have accounts in my town, Cleveland, Columbus, and my. Libby works just fine with multiple libraries

Back