Cheaper Suspension Post Recommendation

The duke

Hi guys. I just purchased a hardtail emtb and am looking for a suspension seatpost. I'm looking for something cheap enough that I won't be devastated if it gets stolen, so in the $40-$80 range. I move the seatpost up and down too often to get rid of the quick release, and Im on and off my bike too often to want to worry about a 2nd lock all the time. I've seen Suntours, or Suntour clones on AliExpress.com. anything else worth cosidering?

Hi guys. I just purchased a hardtail emtb and am looking for a suspension seatpost. I'm looking for something cheap enough that I won't be devastated if it gets stolen, so in the $40-$80 range. I move the seatpost up and down too often to get rid of the quick release, and Im on and off my bike too often to want to worry about a 2nd lock all the time. I've seen Suntours, or Suntour clones on AliExpress.com. anything else worth cosidering?
I have three bikes, all three have different saddle post suspension. BodyFloat, Thudbuster LT and the third has an in line Raleigh shock. They all work to a degree, the BF obviously the best. I wouldn't hesitate to try a more modest suspension, especially for your situation.

I saw this one for $16

https://www.ebay.com/p/Saddle-Suspe...rber-Parts-for-Bike-Bicycle-Black/18021518648

I bet it would help. Better than jolting your spine. I think I would try the SunTour or a sprung saddle before that $16 one. Whatever you do try, think about reporting your findings here. Many have had sticker shock seeing the cost of a BodyFloat.

I have three bikes, all three have different saddle post suspension. BodyFloat, Thudbuster LT and the third has an in line Raleigh shock. They all work to a degree, the BF obviously the best. I wouldn't hesitate to try a more modest suspension, especially for your situation.

I saw this one for $16

https://www.ebay.com/p/Saddle-Suspe...rber-Parts-for-Bike-Bicycle-Black/18021518648

I bet it would help. Better than jolting your spine. I think I would try the SunTour or a sprung saddle before that $16 one. Whatever you do try, think about reporting your findings here. Many have had sticker shock seeing the cost of a BodyFloat.
Thanks for the feedback. Ive seen the suntour on eBay and aliexpress for a little less than $80 and am considering it.

Your comment "they all work to some degree" is curious. The thudbuster for instance, which I've tried and thought was good. What would be the points of regret for something like that? Sounds like most decent seatposts will get you 95% of the way there.

I went with the SunTour. Only about $15.00 less than the Thudbuster, but less than half the price of the BodyFloat. It certainly helps, but I still find myself standing on the pedals when going over bigger bumps with fully inflated fat tires. I weigh 140 and the deciding factor for me was the ability to adjust the suspension for a heavier rider without having to change elastomers or springs.

I went with the SunTour. Only about $15.00 less than the Thudbuster, but less than half the price of the BodyFloat. It certainly helps, but I still find myself standing on the pedals when going over bigger bumps with fully inflated fat tires. I weigh 140 and the deciding factor for me was the ability to adjust the suspension for a heavier rider without having to change elastomers or springs.
Wait, I thought the suntour had two sets of springs for different weight riders?

Do you feel you're having to stand because of an inferior seatpost suspension? Do you think if you had sprung for three thudbuster or bodyfloat, you'd be seated more?

Anything less than what you pay for a Suntour NCX, is probably not going to be satisfactory for most people. Just my humble experience.

Thanks for the feedback. Ive seen the suntour on eBay and aliexpress for a little less than $80 and am considering it.

Your comment "they all work to some degree" is curious. The thudbuster for instance, which I've tried and thought was good. What would be the points of regret for something like that? Sounds like most decent seatposts will get you 95% of the way there.

My 'two cents'... Suspension seat posts are very personal and what a rider wants and needs varies greatly. If $$ are a genuine concern buy the best your budget
allows.... If the goal is buy cheap just for the sake of buying cheap, when the budget allows a top of the line seat post I think is foolish. Back and spine pain
injuries, should that be an issue are no fun. Even the most expensive seat post is very inexpensive 'insurance'

I have two Kinect Body Float seat posts on my bikes and love them. I'm sure there are other quality seat posts, but I have no personal knowledge.

Wait, I thought the suntour had two sets of springs for different weight riders?

Do you feel you're having to stand because of an inferior seatpost suspension? Do you think if you had sprung for three thudbuster or bodyfloat, you'd be seated more?
Yes, but only two sets of springs and they are both adjustable within each weight range. I am pleased with the SunTour but I have never ridden the Thudbuster or Bodyfloat. Price was not a factor in my choice of SunTour over the Thudbuster. I could have bought both for less than the price of the Bodyfloat.

Do you feel you're having to stand because of an inferior seatpost suspension? Do you think if you had sprung for three thudbuster or bodyfloat said:
Most spring type suspension seatposts aren't designed for rough trail use. They don't have enough travel to absorb heavy duty shock and just bottom out. If you're looking to absorb major shock loads, you need something like the Thudbuster LT. It has over 3" of travel and easily absorbs the shock of a heavy cyclist riding off a curb.

Yes, but only two sets of springs and they are both adjustable within each weight range. I am pleased with the SunTour but I have never ridden the Thudbuster or Bodyfloat. Price was not a factor in my choice of SunTour over the Thudbuster. I could have bought both for less than the price of the Bodyfloat.
Not quite sure what you mean by price was not a factor when price is the main rationale you cite for your choice and you admit that the one you bought really does not really do the job, forcing you to stand on the pedals. I think this thread supports the old adage, "you get what you pay for" @John from Connecticut said it best, "f the goal is buy cheap just for the sake of buying cheap, when the budget allows a top of the line seat post I think is foolish" If you cannot afford better that is one thing. If you can and buy cheap it is often a waste of money as the device fails to achieve the purpose for which it was purchased.

You are seeking a major enhancement for an ebike that likely cost thousands. You will get far more use and fun out of it if it does not cause you pain. Buy the best you can afford and you won't look back.

I have had a thudbuster and now ride a body float. I would never go back. One of my bikes came with a telescoping, spring loaded seat post. It was a joke. The Suntour is famous for wearing out fast. If you can possibly afford it, bite the bullet and get the body float. You will not regret it. Also, it has a preload adjustment to fine tune for your weight within the load range of the different springs and it only takes a few minutes to change the springs, once you know how to do it.

I bought the Anamaris for my Juiced Ripcurrent but the 30.9mm size was still too small, just by a hair. I could have made it work with some duct tape but decided that was the wrong idea.

Anything less than Suntour and you are wasting you money especially on rough surfaces. The other alternative is to fit fattest rear tyre your frame will take and run it at low pressures. Extra rolling resistance isn't issue with ebike.

Anything less than Suntour and you are wasting you money especially on rough surfaces. The other alternative is to fit fattest rear tyre your frame will take and run it at low pressures. Extra rolling resistance isn't issue with ebike.
So I've tried a few cheapo seat suspensions and I now think that your opinion is pretty fair and well said. I haven't tried any high end seatposts yet, but would agree that most of the cheap ones aren't much better than a 2.6" rear tire with 19psi. In addition, the posts add a bunch of weight, take away the ability to drop the seat for descents, and the bouncing around will make peddling with proper leg extension difficult. On top of that, unexpected bottoming out or failure can cause serious rectal injury.

Last edited:
Back