Changes to my RadRover

Thanks for your reply, I'll try to see how much slack I can get. I may have to take it into the local bike shop if it proves too much for me to do but I'll try it first.

After riding 200 miles with this bike stock, I decided I needed some changes. 1) I added a bottle holder. 2) I went with a new seat and a Cane Creek Thudbuster post. I would have preferred the bodyfloat but couldn't justify its costs. 3) I put on an Ibera PakRak rear rack. 4) The ugliest part of the bike was the battery which really stood out and screamed ebike. So I mounted a Ibera triangle pack. I didn't even notice until after installation that the orange on the bag matches the radrover orange, I like that. 5) I added a device to the throttle that acts as a cruise control. It's a little gimmicky but a fun option. It attaches on and off the bike in seconds. I rarely use it, mainly on long bicycle path type of rides. 6) I wanted to sit more upright so I added an adjustable stem that brought the handlebars both closer and higher. 7) The biggest change would be the tires. During the summer I realized I wanted to go on longer pavement type of rides. I went with the Vee Speedster. A much quieter ride, with the knobbies people would hear me coming a hundred feet away. I gained 2 mph with throttle only. These tires stick like glue on hard surfaces. The trade-off is when I do go off payment you have to be more careful, they do slide out on loose gravel fairly easily. I do live where there is snow in the winter so I will go back to the stock tire in the fall so I can ride in the snow a little bit. View attachment 6391 View attachment 6392

Thank you so much for this bag mod info! Looks freaking great. And the Ibera rack is awesome with the quick release Ibera Commuter Bag!!! This is exactly what I wanted when I get my RR! And it looks great on the RR with matching orange highlights. Sweeeeeet!

Do you have the Commuter bag for your rack? I
On Amazon it looks like they make two models. One that has pop out panniers on each side.

I looked through this post and didn't see anything regarding a question I have. How is it getting the battery in and out of the ibera triangle bag? Planning on taking my battery with me when I arrive to work.
Thanks

I did the triangle bag from Luna Cycle, $25: https://lunacycle.com/batteries/battery-bags/luna-cycles-triangle-battery-bag/

The Luna Bag has a double zipper that goes along the top and back side for easy removal of the battery. I just had to punch three holes in the bottom of the bag, unscrew the battery tray, ran the wires outside the bottom corner of zipper, and secured inside the bag under the tray. I didn't want to attempt cutting the wires to the tray to run the wires out the wire slot. It just turned the bag into a single zipper instead of a double zipper bag.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I see you have the thudbuster flush to the frame. Curious as to your height and if the seat is a bittoo high or just right? I weigh about 265, apparently at the upper edge of thudbusters limit, but want it anyways.

I see you have the thudbuster flush to the frame. Curious as to your height and if the seat is a bittoo high or just right? I weigh about 265, apparently at the upper edge of thudbusters limit, but want it anyways.

I'm 6'3" and 270lbs (probably around 285-290 with cold weather gear and commuter backpack with work cloths, lunch, warm weather gear). I actually have a 400mm Suntour NCX SP12 on this bike and a 350mm Suntour on my old Transeo GT hybrid bike. I have the seat at the max level when I had the 350mm Suntour. I later purchased the 400mm Suntour just to have a little more adjustment range. The 350mm will work depending how tall you are and how long your legs are.

It is extremely dusty in NM and the Suntour I ordered from eBay didn't have a dust cover. The Thudbuster neoprene cover fit perfectly over the Suntour to help keep the dust out. The Suntour can be purchased with a 350mm or 400mm length AND regular or firm spring for about $90 on eBay.

The body float with the heavy duty orange springs is also within our weight range; but, price range of $250 made me give the Suntour a try first.

Mrgold,

Give me a mini review on the suntour ncx .... What do you think this far ? How long have you been using it etc.... Are they very springy or stable etc

Curious butts want to know

Tks B.

Thanks Gold. So completely happy with a 400 mm suntour? I am six foot tall. Is the suntour squeek free?

I use the Suntour with the Sunlite Cloud-9 11.5X12.5 seat. I find the combo very comfy for commuting and trail riding alike. I might lift my bottom off the seat now about 5%-10% of the time during my ride compared to lifting 25%-35% of the time with the old Radrover seat and post. I like the Suntour because it spreads your weight onto your cheeks, lessens the pressure on "delicate" parts, and none of the usual soreness/pressure from riding a thinner seat.

There is an adjustable spring for the Suntour and Cloud-9 to dial in the level of softness/firmness. I had the combo since Sept/16 and put about 900 miles on the Suntour/Cloud-9. No signs of wear, squeaks, rattles, or any other issues with the combo. I'm very happy with the Suntour and expect to have years of service from it.

If you are 6 foot tall, the 350mm Suntour will fit with zero issues. I haven't compared the Suntour ride to the Thudbuster or Body Float. I know Amazon has a 30 day return policy and I'm tempted to try side-by-side the Body Float with the stiffest orange springs to see if the Body Float is worth the $250 over the $90 Suntour.

Finding the stiff spring for the suntour seems problematic so far. May have the TB for no other reason.

I found this site for purchasing Suntour springs: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I ordered two Suntours on eBay from two different sellers from Australia and USA back in Sept/2016. The Australian seller had the option of 350mm or 400mm and soft or firm spring (400mm+firm spring ordered). The USA eBay seller only had 350mm and didn't mention spring type. The plan was I will get the 400mm+firm and the wife would get the 350mm+soft. I took my Suntours apart and the spring wasn't red or blue like the above link and both springs had the exact same markings. I'm assuming I have the firm springs on both of my Suntours?

Same spring length for the 400mm (bottom) and 350mm (top) seat posts:

Thanks Mr. Gold, I ordered the post with the spring kit, $115 delivered. There was no mention of length, I put 350mm in the comment section if there is a choice.

I did the triangle bag from Luna Cycle, $25: https://lunacycle.com/batteries/battery-bags/luna-cycles-triangle-battery-bag/

The Luna Bag has a double zipper that goes along the top and back side for easy removal of the battery. I just had to punch three holes in the bottom of the bag, unscrew the battery tray, ran the wires outside the bottom corner of zipper, and secured inside the bag under the tray. I didn't want to attempt cutting the wires to the tray to run the wires out the wire slot. It just turned the bag into a single zipper instead of a double zipper bag.

Great stuff mrgold... I will post pictures of my modifications and additions this weekend. I got the Ibera PakRak rear rack and it fits great with the removable trunk bag and quick release panniers - I would definitely recommend this set up as a cost effective alternative to the Rad rack for the Rover.

Mr Gold... can you provide a link to that little frame bag that you have behind your handle bars? That is exactly what I am looking for when I want to take off all of my larger bags and stuff.

It is the large Topeak Fuel Tank bag, $45, Amazon, or around $35-$40 on eBay. I've had this one for a few years and transferred it over from my other commuter bike. I keep the battery pack for my headlights and my riding eye protection in the bag (no fun getting bugs in your eyes at 20 mph).

Thanks Mr Gold... So I thought I would share what I did to my 2016 RadRover here. I love this bike and so does everyone that sees it. I am including links to the products as most were purchased at Amazon in case you are looking for similar items. They are not affiliate links or anything like that.

Bike pump installed under the frame
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GS9J1TW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ibera Frame Bag to conceal the battery - the orange and black matches perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JA8WEG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Awesome rear light with lasers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4E496K/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ibera PakRak - works great as an alternative to the Rad rack. I also have the trunk that goes on top of the rack but now that I have the panniers, I just use those because swinging the leg over the high trunk is a pain.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AA8GFSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quick release panniers for the PakRak
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW2ZIMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cushion seat from Cloud-9 that I think is very comfortable. I keep the seat to low to use a suspension post.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TD24VG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very bright headlight that also comes out as a flashlight.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQSVRF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
iPhone holder... I also have a speaker that you can see on the right side under the handlebar but that is old and I don't have a link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015C03SI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And I used this black adhesive vinyl to cover up the Rad Power Bike on the lower frame.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQN2NQ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• RadRover2 - 2-4-17.jpg
    RadRover2 - 2-4-17.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,392
  • RadRover4 - 2-4-17.jpg
    RadRover4 - 2-4-17.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,702
  • RadRover5 - 2-4-17.jpg
    RadRover5 - 2-4-17.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,368
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a Radrover for recreational use, some light mountain biking but mostly groomed trail rides in hilly areas. The bike frame seems a little small for my 6'4" body height 34" inseam. Looks like the solution as mentioned in this thread is to by an longer after market seat stem??? Any one out there that is 6'4" and has one of these bikes that could elaborate? Thanks

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a Radrover for recreational use, some light mountain biking but mostly groomed trail rides in hilly areas. The bike frame seems a little small for my 6'4" body height 34" inseam. Looks like the solution as mentioned in this thread is to by an longer after market seat stem??? Any one out there that is 6'4" and has one of these bikes that could elaborate? Thanks

The mods I have are:
- Suntour SP-12 NCX 350mm +firm spring (for wife's RR; but, made seat too tall for wife, use the 350mm on old commuter bike)
- Suntour SP-12 NCX 400mm+firm spring (my RR)
- Cane Creek Thudbuster neoprene dust cover (400mm Suntour didn't come with a dust cover; but, 350 mm did)
- Two Sunlite Cloud-9 11.5X12.5 seat
- Sunlite 0-60 degree 95mm adjustable stem (up for me, down for 4'11" wife)
- Additional 2.5mm spacers for new stem (2 per Radrover)
- Wide platform pedals from BC Bicycles (size 14 shoes)

I'm 6'3", 270lb, 34" inseam, and 37/38 length in the arms in dress shirts. I have two 2016 Radrovers since Sept/2016 and put around 1200 miles between both of them. I use my RR 85% of the time to commute 13 miles round trip to work, 4900 ft to 5400 ft elevation range on mostly paved roads. I do like to fun ride after work or weekends on dirt trails around the Rio Grande river (4900 ft) or Sandia foothills (+6300 ft). Even took both Radrovers to the Grand Canyon and Sedona in Nov/2016 and can't wait to do that again.

I have zero problems with either the Suntour NCX SP-12 350mm or 400mm suspension seatpost on my bike. I have the 350mm seatpost near the max length mark while the 400mm seatpost has a bit more room; but, both work equally fine for me. I find it is more comfortable to keep the seat height at max height for commuter comfort. I lower the seat a little bit when trail riding because it is easier to shift my body position back/forth for stability/balance on extremely steep inclines/declines.

I ended up wiping out on my bike on the dirt trails and broke 2 of 4 stem bolts and bent a 3rd bolt on the fixed stem that came with the bike. Decided to upgrade to the Sunlite 0-60 degree 95mm adjustable stem just to add a few more inches of height and more upright riding position (about 30-40 degree up for me). Zero issues with Radrover power/brake cables being stretched and only takes 10 minutes to put on.

Pic of Radrover with Suntour SP-12 NCX, Thudbuster neoprene dust cover. Taken before replacing the stem and pedals:

Sunlite 0-60 degree 95mm Stem:

BC pedals for my size 14 shoes:

Last edited:
Thank you MR. Gold for the very detailed and very helpful response. Pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger in this bike very soon.

Back