Changes to my RadRover

How are you guys debadging? Mine (which is white) seems to have a clear coat over all the badging so I don't know how to go about it other than trying to cover vs remove, thanks

If you can get the decal off despite the clear coat it would be much easier to match the gloss clearcoat (the white is gloss, right?) with a rattle can than the satin/matte of the black model, I think.

After riding 200 miles with this bike stock, I decided I needed some changes. 1) I added a bottle holder. 2) I went with a new seat and a Cane Creek Thudbuster post. I would have preferred the bodyfloat but couldn't justify its costs. 3) I put on an Ibera PakRak rear rack. 4) The ugliest part of the bike was the battery which really stood out and screamed ebike. So I mounted a Ibera triangle pack. I didn't even notice until after installation that the orange on the bag matches the radrover orange, I like that. 5) I added a device to the throttle that acts as a cruise control. It's a little gimmicky but a fun option. It attaches on and off the bike in seconds. I rarely use it, mainly on long bicycle path type of rides. 6) I wanted to sit more upright so I added an adjustable stem that brought the handlebars both closer and higher. 7) The biggest change would be the tires. During the summer I realized I wanted to go on longer pavement type of rides. I went with the Vee Speedster. A much quieter ride, with the knobbies people would hear me coming a hundred feet away. I gained 2 mph with throttle only. These tires stick like glue on hard surfaces. The trade-off is when I do go off payment you have to be more careful, they do slide out on loose gravel fairly easily. I do live where there is snow in the winter so I will go back to the stock tire in the fall so I can ride in the snow a little bit. View attachment 6391 View attachment 6392

Mike, great looking mods. I really like the battery cover idea. You had mentioned you used a large Ibera triangle pack, yet the pack covering the battery in a picture in this thread by thatdude9o2 looks like his triangle bag is bigger than the one does in your picture. I found these part #s for Ibera Triangle bags: IB-FB10-L(16 in x 17 in x 11), IB-FB10-M(12 in x 13 in x 8 in), IB-FB1-L(17 x 11 x 16) & IB-FB1-M (12 x 7 x 11) Could you confirm which model of triangle bag you purchased? Also, It looks like you used the PakRak Model IB-RA5. Could you confirm this. Thank you!

Yeah, Mike has a 2015 Radrover, I have a 2016. The 2016 Radrover has a smaller triangle (probably so the standover height would be lower), so the bag only looks larger in comparison. There should only be one large model.

After riding 200 miles with this bike stock, I decided I needed some changes. 1) I added a bottle holder. 2) I went with a new seat and a Cane Creek Thudbuster post. I would have preferred the bodyfloat but couldn't justify its costs. 3) I put on an Ibera PakRak rear rack. 4) The ugliest part of the bike was the battery which really stood out and screamed ebike. So I mounted a Ibera triangle pack. I didn't even notice until after installation that the orange on the bag matches the radrover orange, I like that. 5) I added a device to the throttle that acts as a cruise control. It's a little gimmicky but a fun option. It attaches on and off the bike in seconds. I rarely use it, mainly on long bicycle path type of rides. 6) I wanted to sit more upright so I added an adjustable stem that brought the handlebars both closer and higher. 7) The biggest change would be the tires. During the summer I realized I wanted to go on longer pavement type of rides. I went with the Vee Speedster. A much quieter ride, with the knobbies people would hear me coming a hundred feet away. I gained 2 mph with throttle only. These tires stick like glue on hard surfaces. The trade-off is when I do go off payment you have to be more careful, they do slide out on loose gravel fairly easily. I do live where there is snow in the winter so I will go back to the stock tire in the fall so I can ride in the snow a little bit. View attachment 6391 View attachment 6392
I was wondering if adding the bag over the battery has effected the batteries normal operating temperature, or if you noticed a difference in the overall operation of the bike?
Thanks! Love all the work you did, it looks Rad!

6) I wanted to sit more upright so I added an adjustable stem that brought the handlebars both closer and higher.
regarding this: I contacted RadRover regarding changing out the handlebar stem, as I wanted something with a bit of rise in it. They stated "Unfortunately, we don't recommend replacing the handlebar stem, as doing so could put too much stress on the wires and cables running up to the handlebars. "

Have you had any issues with this? Your wires/ cables look all ok in the photos? thanks

prw i had a shop put on what i think is a 5 inch rise handlebar on my 2015- so out of warranty which might matter to some

we tried an adjustable riser and it was not enough for me
they removed that when they added the new handlebars saying they had the wires as tight as they will go

i only have 1 long ride on this set up so far but it seemed to do pretty good
might like to have them moved back a little more but havent had time to really play with it etc

will try to get some pics and post them in the next few days

It looks like many of the above questions have been answered, however I'll briefly go over them from my prospective. The rack is a PakRak Model IB-RA5. The Ibera bag is a large and the above answer about the frame size difference is spot on. I have had zero issues with the battery being in the bag. With that said, I don't go bike riding on any bike when it's above 90, and on longer rides in the 80's I unzip the bag to allow some air movement in and out. When changing the handle bars or stem there can be some issues with the cable lengths. But nothing I couldn't get past. One wire I had to reroute, I pulled about 2 inches of slack from the control box on 2 others and the 3 button control pad is about 1 1/2 inches to the right of where it was against the left grip. I could of moved the LCD screen to the left a little to avoid his but I like the screen centered.

It looks like many of the above questions have been answered, however I'll briefly go over them from my prospective. The rack is a PakRak Model IB-RA5. The Ibera bag is a large and the above answer about the frame size difference is spot on. I have had zero issues with the battery being in the bag. With that said, I don't go bike riding on any bike when it's above 90, and on longer rides in the 80's I unzip the bag to allow some air movement in and out. When changing the handle bars or stem there can be some issues with the cable lengths. But nothing I couldn't get past. One wire I had to reroute, I pulled about 2 inches of slack from the control box on 2 others and the 3 button control pad is about 1 1/2 inches to the right of where it was against the left grip. I could of moved the LCD screen to the left a little to avoid his but I like the screen centered.
Thanks for the info on the battery!
Cheers!

Hi Mike, great set up! How are you liking the Go Cruise? Is it manageable to set while riding considering there is such a small throttle width? And does it hold over time or does it slip a bit and slow down over time as you ride?

@Steven A Bean The Go Cruise is OK but I don't find myself using it much. I never use it around town, only on longer rides on bike paths. It's nice to be able to go a few miles without ever pedaling or holding the throttle but of course this takes it's toll on battery life. It hold it's place fairly well but it's hard to make small adjustments. It's only a 1/4 inch wide so still enough room on the throttle. One good thing about it is that it attaches or can be removed in seconds. Over priced for what I believe should sell for a lot less. Overall, it's an interesting item that I'm glad I have but more of a fun/gimmicky item than a necessity.

@Steven A Bean The Go Cruise is OK but I don't find myself using it much. I never use it around town, only on longer rides on bike paths. It's nice to be able to go a few miles without ever pedaling or holding the throttle but of course this takes it's toll on battery life. It hold it's place fairly well but it's hard to make small adjustments. It's only a 1/4 inch wide so still enough room on the throttle. One good thing about it is that it attaches or can be removed in seconds. Over priced for what I believe should sell for a lot less. Overall, it's an interesting item that I'm glad I have but more of a fun/gimmicky item than a necessity.

Mike, thanks for the info. My work commute is on a flat beach road (10 miles, with very few lights) so I ordered the Go Cruise to try it out. If that isn't suitable there's a electronic cruise control that I'm looking into. I also ordered a thumb lever for the throttle (see pic) to test out on the throttle as well. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160913-080729~01.png
    Screenshot_20160913-080729~01.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 750
Hi, I'd like to raise my handlebars up, my neck has some issues and my hands start going numb with the current setup after a few miles. What size and brand stem did you use on your conversion? Thanks, Mark

hi mark

not sure if you are referencing my set up

i would do the 5 inch riser and an adjustable stem, mine is still a little too forward for me
but keep in mind my shop said with the 5 inch riser there is no more length in the cables

unfortunately i do not know the size of the handlebar but think any bike shop could tell you and think a lot of bigger bike shops have them in stock

Back