Changed my mind about my Gear Shift Sensor today - Disconnected it.

I thought the Luna has a gear sensor under the battery. I have never needed one. Just ride like you have a manual transmission.

Speaking to "Kathy" at Frey Bike, she said 3 days to ship from CA warehouse. I ordered it on Friday. Should be here by next week. Yes, I have a friend that has a CANBUS Sondors Rockstar. He installed a UART controller and display. The controller assembly came pre-installed as one piece mounted with the side motor casing. He did need a new wiring harness and display.
For curiosity sake I sent an email to Frey... Here's their response.

"Savannah ULTRA CC is equipped M620 1000W mid-drive motor, and it is UART protocol only.
Unlike the CAN protocol, most riders prefer the UART protocol, which is easier to operate and reset.

May I know which protocol you prefer? UART or CAN protocol?"

For curiosity sake I sent an email to Frey... Here's their response.

"Savannah ULTRA CC is equipped M620 1000W mid-drive motor, and it is UART protocol only.
Unlike the CAN protocol, most riders prefer the UART protocol, which is easier to operate and reset.

May I know which protocol you prefer? UART or CAN protocol?"
Sweet! I saw that they had the programming cable on their site for sale so I figured as much.

The gear shift sensor throttle cut on my BBS02 is too short. I now engage slightly my front brake to cut the motor until the gear change is finished. Work very well for me.
Unfortunately, the m620 doesn't have a brake sensor :(

Good point Al. I did drop my delay stop or decay whichever it was, down to zero on both bikes so the power would shut off as soon as I stopped pedaling. UART protocol on both controllers.
Very good info to know for when my Z1 comes in. Thank you.
@Tom@WashDC do you know if the UART tuned up M620 from Luna comes w/ front and rear light inputs? I see on greenbikekit it's an option I can add and was hoping the Z1 I ordered would come w/ the ability to add them.

Unfortunately, the m620 doesn't have a brake sensor :(
This suggests otherwise. That is the brake sensors connect via the EB BUS cable loom. My Frey Beast cuts power when I apply the brakes (Magura MT5e brakes).

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Very good info to know for when my Z1 comes in. Thank you.
@Tom@WashDC do you know if the UART tuned up M620 from Luna comes w/ front and rear light inputs? I see on greenbikekit it's an option I can add and was hoping the Z1 I ordered would come w/ the ability to add them.
As I recall there are connections for front/rear lights (no brake activated light). I've taken the motor out a few times and the light connections are present

This suggests otherwise. That is the brake sensors connect via the EB BUS cable loom. My Frey Beast cuts power when I apply the brakes (Magura MT5e brakes).

My Frey Beast is the same. I find that the motor still runs for a bit after stopping peddling, and it ignores the shift sensor during this overrun (perhaps I need to adjust something?).

My Frey Beast is the same. I find that the motor still runs for a bit after stopping peddling, and it ignores the shift sensor during this overrun (perhaps I need to adjust something?).
No, the Bafang Ultra motor is normally set for at least some run after pedaling stops. The KeepCur(%) in the SPDxx table on the Torque Page is normally what people associate with this behavior. There is also a KeepCurrent(%) on the Pedal Page, but that's most likely an unused left-over from Bafang extending the BBSxx software to handle the torque sensing Ultra. I think if you have zero overrun you'd have a jerky ride, maybe with the motor cutting out sometimes during normal pedaling.

I've experiment with shift sensor. It works good under throttle.
It's flawless from 7-11th top speed 30 -35 mph. My bafang m620 has motor over run too on lower gears when trying to fineness a sharp nice and easy turn sometimes I over shoot it.

I like 15 degrees of pedal rotation for initiation of power and for cessation of assistance. I just back off on pedal pressure slightly when shifting. 15 degrees is immediate yet not lurchy. It also means that I can rest my foot on the pedal at a stop then start with a bit of rotation with pedal pressure.

I personally have never thought I needed a shifter delay on my ebikes. Easing off on the power when shifting is something I do automatically.
On the other hand, many of the seniors I ride with should never ride an ebike without one. While on a group ride, when we come up to a hill, many of them will power up the hill, then, when they realize they need a lower gear they'll shift down while under power.
Lots of loud 'CLUNKS' from their drive trains. Seems gearing down before the hill is beyond their scope of comprehension.
Hey I am an old guy and I resemble that description. I use a BOX chain and BOX derailleur on a Luna Bafang M620. BOX are sturdy components. I also learned and I now shift before the big hill.

I have a Rize RX with bafang ultra and shift detector. The cutout doesn't seem to take into account the motor decay/overrun so shifts are loud and not nice. I've learned to wait until the overrun stops to shift otherwise I think the drivetrain would be destroyed. I don't know, maybe the shifts would be a lot worse without the cutout but to me, the motor is still running when the shift happens and that can't be good

I have a Rize RX with bafang ultra and shift detector. The cutout doesn't seem to take into account the motor decay/overrun so shifts are loud and not nice. I've learned to wait until the overrun stops to shift otherwise I think the drivetrain would be destroyed. I don't know, maybe the shifts would be a lot worse without the cutout but to me, the motor is still running when the shift happens and that can't be good
I've been riding my Luna Z1 with Bafang Ultra for 2+ years now without the gear shift sensor, and no brake motor cutoffs. No problems.

I've been riding my Luna Z1 with Bafang Ultra for 2+ years now without the gear shift sensor, and no brake motor cutoffs. No problems.
I concur... Never had a use for the shift sensor with the Ultra... nor with the BBS for that matter.
I do appreciate the brake cut out and use them for safety as well as strategically while rolling at times.

Me three. I installed a gear sensor on one bike in 2018, and never installed another one. I do a stutter-step in my cadence when shifting and now, even on the bike with the sensor, that quick cadence interruption is automatic to my lizard brain. No need at all for a sensor.

MT5e brake levers have a built-in mini hinge mid-lever that facilitates initiating a motor cutoff without actually actuating the brake pads. I have never used it but its there.

I don't see the point of a shift detector if it can't accommodate for the motor after run. I haven't tried a shift while pedaling but if I stop pedaling, the motor is still running for a second, shift and CRUNCH! Either it's too slow or just doesn't know the motor is running

Back