Chain Wear

I didn’t say that very well. My gauge has to sides and one side is 0.75% and the other is 1%. As it is now the 0.75% won’t drop in so the wear is less than that. Mine Trek is a 9 speed and from what I’ve read 0.75% is where I need to think about replacing it.

My chain was beyond 0.75%. I ordered that SRAM chain, installed it and all is good now mostly. I get a click in high gear sometimes, my bike tech warned me about this with those ding dang high powered mid drives. 36 mph can cause some grief.😢

I didn’t say that very well. My gauge has to sides and one side is 0.75% and the other is 1%. As it is now the 0.75% won’t drop in so the wear is less than that. Mine Trek is a 9 speed and from what I’ve read 0.75% is where I need to think about replacing it.
0.75% is where you should start worrying. At 1% your smaller cassette cogs are already worn.

1665127476060.png

I have ridden my Vado 5.0 for 2,000 miles without the chain replacement (1% elongation). Because of my negligence, I had not only had to replace the chain but also the 11, 13, 15, and 17T sprockets of my cassette. Additionally, a new lock-ring was necessary, as the sprocket replacement for this e-bike was done earlier for several times. This expensive cassette allows replacing as many as 8 sprockets out of 11 if needed.

Meanwhile, I replace the chain in my Vado SL every 1,000 miles (0.5% mark) and the original cassette has been sound for 15 months.

Last edited:
0.75% is where you should start worrying. At 1% your smaller cassette cogs are already worn.

View attachment 137290
I have ridden my Vado 5.0 for 2,000 miles without the chain replacement (1% elongation). Because of my negligence, I had not only had to replace the chain but also the 11, 13, 15, and 17T sprockets of my cassette. Additionally, a new lock-ring was necessary, as the sprocket replacement for this e-bike was done earlier for several times. This expensive cassette allows replacing as many as 8 sprockets out of 11 if needed.

Meanwhile, I replace the chain in my Vado SL every 1,000 miles (0.5% mark) and the original cassette has been sound for 15 months.
I wonder what kind of steel Gazelle uses? As I stated, after 4000 miles, the cassette is still good and the bicycle mechanic was surprised. I got off easy, I guess.

I went on a longer ride today and the bike seems perkier with the new chain and computer update.

I got 12k out of my cassette on my commuter and it still may have gone another chain. but the chainring was shot so Changed everything out.

Hey Rome, brake fluid strips paint so it might not be the best choice.
FWIW I am serving a prison sentence (seems like it) in Charleston Westfuckingvirginia. It's a total s*it hole and I mean the entire state. This area has endless really steep hills but at least they are short. The road to my house has an 18% grade, I measured it! So the chain is getting lots of torquey workouts.
I'll replace the chain with that $50 E9 option soon and hope the cassette has some life left.
Prison sentence huh? We have been looking to relocate from MD to WV for a long long time. Traveling thru I am finding the state has been raped for minerals and energy.
"Forest management", strip mines, coal mines, rock quarries and now wind turbines.
I am trying to find something along the dolly sods, Seneca rocks, greenbrier river area, but no luck finding something for many many years.
Enjoy your bread and water!

Prison sentence huh? We have been looking to relocate from MD to WV for a long long time. Traveling thru I am finding the state has been raped for minerals and energy.
"Forest management", strip mines, coal mines, rock quarries and now wind turbines.
I am trying to find something along the dolly sods, Seneca rocks, greenbrier river area, but no luck finding something for many many years.
Enjoy your bread and water!
I got paroled! I’m now in Washington State. Life is good, really good. FiretrUCK West Virginia. The worst state in the union.

Back