Carrying spare battery

Katysax

Does anyone have a spare battery that they carry when going outside their expected range? If so, how do you carry it?

Does anyone have a spare battery that they carry when going outside their expected range? If so, how do you carry it?
i do in a 4.5 litre Topeak Midloader frame bag. This will carry a Bosch powerpack with enough extra room for an apple or an orange.

Last edited:
When you carry it in a pannier on one side does it affect the feeling of balance?

Not really enough to notice. I routinely ride with just one pannier for errands (like groceries or mail) and if I need to take extra stuff for a day ride I'll usually only take one pannier.

I never carry anything on my bike for my daily recreational riding of about 33 miles. I use a cell phone for any flat or mechanical trouble. Many thousands of miles over the last few years...no need to call. Very lucky I guess. But when I want to do an extended ride, I add an expandable 3-8 liter seat pack by Roswheel. It is 26 inches long at its maximum unfolded length. My 18 in battery fits easily with the end rolled up securely. It swings a bit with heavy battery as it only attaches to seat post and saddle rails. But it is secure and durable. It works for the infrequent spare battery useage I plan.

Last edited:
If your bike is the Scoozy with a rear pack, the rack looks stout enough to bungee a second battery on its rails. You can still hang pannier bags on the rack for other things.

Untitled-1.jpg

I've carried spare batteries for both my wife's bilke and mine in panniers. Balance the load so there's equal weight on both sides. Don't use cheap saddlebags where the stitching will rip out.

I was going to wrap it up, then it seemed to be too slippery. So, I used a non-bungie to fasten it tightly to the rear rack. It rode there just fine.

I use a Salsa Exp Anything craddle, voile straps, and made a battery sleeve out of foam pad. Works great.......taken it on some very chunky terrain and does not move or bounceSalsa EXP Anything Cradle with Straps | REI Co-op.jpgIMG_2605.jpg

Batteries in a trunk bag or pannier are definitely subject to abrasion against other items in the bag with all the jiggling and vibration of a bike on road or trail. I highly recommend getting a neoprene battery jacket. They are useful for cold weather/winter cyling and they will keep the case from getting scratched or damaged while being transported.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Bike-Bat...993&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476

s-l1600.jpg

Batteries in a trunk bag or pannier are definitely subject to abrasion against other items in the bag with all the jiggling and vibration of a bike on road or trail. I highly recommend getting a neoprene battery jacket. They are useful for cold weather/winter cyling and they will keep the case from getting scratched or damaged while being transported.

That works. What also works is wrapping the battery in an insulated jacket.

A bad as abrasion would be, my biggest concern with carrying a battery in a pannier is that if the bike tipped over I would risk damaging the battery, possibly causing a fire or explosion. Which would certainly not be the highlight of my day.

Batteries are heavy. I don't carry one but if I was of the mind to......

My bike is 36 volt. My lawnmower is 40 volt. For an emergency use, I'd take that. Much smaller and still gets you a good ways.

Batteries are heavy. I don't carry one but if I was of the mind to......

My bike is 36 volt. My lawnmower is 40 volt. For an emergency use, I'd take that. Much smaller and still gets you a good ways.
Which begs to be asked, how do you adapt a lawnmower battery to your bike.

I originally carried a spare on top of my rear rack but the higher center of gravity adversely affected balance. The extra weight is better carried as low as possible. I switched to using a pair of small heavy duty panniers that are only slightly larger than the battery. I fill the extra space with an article of clothing for padding. I carry my tools and other gear in the opposite pannier to help balance the load.

If you go this route, make sure the pannier you use is strong enough to carry the battery weight.

I originally carried a spare on top of my rear rack but the higher center of gravity adversely affected balance. The extra weight is better carried as low as possible. I switched to using a pair of small heavy duty panniers that are only slightly larger than the battery. I fill the extra space with an article of clothing for padding. I carry my tools and other gear in the opposite pannier to help balance the load.

If you go this route, make sure the pannier you use is strong enough to carry the battery weight.

That makes sense. I can put my tools and spare in one pannier and the battery in another and not use the trunk pack. I forgot that I used to do that several years ago. Should have thought of that. Thanks.

I found this bag on ebay. My 2nd battery fits in there fine. I added a foam pad on the bottom for a little more cushion (although it is padded). Fits on my smallish rear bike rack via Velcro sewn in to the bottom bottom + a few bungee cords for extra peace of mind.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/173667233198

1564271558470.png

Last edited:
Back