Cannot believe the price increase

Some of these prices are insane. Another problem is that resell value on some high end regular bikes seems terrible. I've got two very nice ten year old carbon road bikes that I'm trying to sell. I'll be very lucky if I can sell either one of them for 20% of their original purchase price.

I thought the lack of supply of new bikes along with the really high prices might help the used bike market but I'm not seeing it.

ALL of these killers, hot, new, tricked out bikes are FANTASTIC for the young...but as we "oldies" who just love to push the pedals with a little bit of help for assistance, its way overkill unless your genetics let you mountain bike like a youngin once you are over 60.
Totally agree. The primary audience for that bike (the U.S. 28 mph version at least) is already fit cyclists who want to rider further, faster or both. It definitely would be a good choice for many over 60 riders, but I'm think of the type of experienced riders who have done fast paced group rides for decades and are looking for a boost to continue hanging with younger friends.

OP here. Very interesting discussion but it was my bad that I was on the Canadian site and didn't realize it. Sorry for that but glad for the spirited discussion. My wife and I are both in our 70's. Been cycling for 40+ years with hundreds of centuries, dozens of doubles, tons of touring and we soloed across the US in 2001. We are in our motorhome a lot and just thought these bikes might open up some new exploring for us. We travel all over the western US and there are just SO MANY great dirt roads to ride that we felt these bikes would allow us to ride both dirt roads and paved. We can only carry two bikes. Our traditional bikes are over 30 years old and we just wanted something new. One other thing. Both my wife and I busted our butts making a living and saving and I reserve the right to spend as much as I like on anything I like. I respect that you may not want to or have the means to. I repsect you just the same and hope to see you on the road, dirt or paved.
Ride Safe

Some of these prices are insane. Another problem is that resell value on some high end regular bikes seems terrible. I've got two very nice ten year old carbon road bikes that I'm trying to sell. I'll be very lucky if I can sell either one of them for 20% of their original purchase price.

I thought the lack of supply of new bikes along with the really high prices might help the used bike market but I'm not seeing it.
Sounds like your second problem is the solution to the first one... Cheap used bikes are the answer to pricey new ones.

Carbon fibre frame. Ever ridden that?
Yes ... and I understand the benefits of a carbon frame. Shock absorption and weight savings. I also understand the wonderfulness of crazy priced trannies that maybe .... maybe the best racers need on their bikes. I'm sure carbon wheels are just great. I wouldn't have them if you gave em to me. This bike is one of the all-time greatest examples of just how nuts people are that buy into hype and marketing. The big four can choke on their insanely overpriced super bikes and I hope they do.

Reed. Please ride a $9000 e-bike first, make sweeping statements next.
I've got a friend with a fully kitted-out Stinner Refugio that probably cost well north of 12 grand. While I'd never own or use a bike like that in the city I swear most of us would sell our parents to ride a bike like that every day.

In the past I used a borrowed Co-motion Pangea with a Rohloff hub for acoustic bike touring. A comparable model fully loaded would probably be north of $7k. Again, that is a sweet ride and a fantastic bike. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Note that neither of the above are e-bikes. They are both custom-made built-to-order steel-framed bikes. However, because they are built to order they can and do push the envelope a bit more than a mass-produced product from Trek or Specialized and the bikes are shockingly light. And because steel is nice and flexy the handling of the bike, especially when you are climbing a hill or riding a bumpy road, is indescribable.

I had a talk with a traditional gravel cyclist who may become my cycling partner. He rides an eight-thousand Polish Zloty gravel bike, meaning, it is an expensive bike. I told him I couldn't afford a gravel e-bike because it cost twenty-eight thousand in our money. He's certainly a better cyclist than I am. I only have ill legs.

Not sure if it is jealousy or ignorance that makes all these people dismiss the Creo so much, It is a fantastic piece of kit and as for being just for youngsters I am 64 had a heart attack just over a year ago and had 4 stents fitted and use it most days (weather permitting) around the Peak District with plenty of hills between 10% and 20% . I have had in the past hub drive and Bosch crank motored e-bikes but nothing compares to the Creo for sheer enjoyment. But as I said before each to their own.

Not sure if it is jealousy or ignorance that makes all these people dismiss the Creo so much
I'm very happy there are Creo users around. An e-bike that is closest to a traditional road or gravel bike, of advanced technology, and excellent connectivity (including motor tuning and post-ride analysis, heart rate monitor integration and more). Yes it costs money. Has to. If one looks to prices of lightweight e-bikes of the same class from Cannondale or Canyon, those are not any cheaper.

The only drawback of such type of ebikes for Europe or Australia is the dreaded 25 km/h speed restriction...

I'm very happy there are Creo users around. An e-bike that is closest to a traditional road or gravel bike, of advanced technology, and excellent connectivity (including motor tuning and post-ride analysis, heart rate monitor integration and more). Yes it costs money. Has to. If one looks to prices of lightweight e-bikes of the same class from Cannondale or Canyon, those are not any cheaper.

The only drawback of such type of ebikes for Europe or Australia is the dreaded 25 km/h speed restriction...

Gotta jump in here. Of course, to each his and her own. Nobody is forced to buy a Creo. Here's my story: I rode a local 4,200' climb on my regular bike and it was a heck of a lot of work getting to the top, even though my regular bike is around 17lbs, a good bike, and I am in decent shape for 65 yrs old. Heartrate in the 130s on that one and it was mainly fun for the views and because I got to the top. Two weeks later I did that ride on a Creo (local bike shop allowed me to demo on this climb). I took almost an hour off my time, worked harder (heart rate in 140's) and it was pure fun the whole time. My justification for getting a Creo will not be that it makes economic sense. It will bring the fun factor back to my cycling, I'll get out more, and work as hard as I want on any ride I take. That kind of riding is not for everyone. Different e-bikes suit different folks.

Here is a timely article... 😉

Electric bicycle prices have followed a bit of a rollercoaster trajectory over the last few years. While there are still several great options for low cost e-bikes on the market, prices are currently trending back up. Here’s why. The on-going trade war between the US and China isn’t the only reason for inflated electric bicycle prices, though it certainly hasn’t helped. While exceptions were created that helped e-bikes avoid many of the tariffs over the last year, those exceptions expired January 1st of this year. There was hope that the Biden administration would extend the tariff exceptions that included e-bikes, but that has not happened so far. In the meantime, we’ve seen several e-bike companies slowly increase prices. Some companies such as Rad Power Bikes, Juiced Bikes, Aventon Bikes and Priority Bicycles have slowly phased out promotional pricing, effectively increasing prices back to MSRPs.

Other companies that have relied on low pricing as a standard model are now raising prices slightly across the board. Ride1up is one such company that announced just this weekend that prices would increase by $100 for all of the company’s models starting on March 10th. The original goal of the tariffs was to foster electric bicycle production in the United States. While we have seen rare, promising examples of US e-bike production, most of the industry agrees that large scale e-bike manufacturing in the US is simply not capable of remaining competitive with Asian manufacturing. As Ride1Up owner Kevin Dugger explained in an email to Electrek:

It’s sad to see that the product category of electric bikes, which we find are used by more than half of our buyers as an alternative transportation, is taxed at 25% while billions of dollars of unnecessary frivolous goods are allowed into the country with little to no tariff. Since bikes and e-bikes especially have their entire supply chain in Asia, it isn’t realistic for any one bike or e-bike company to begin manufacturing all of these components in the US. I don’t know a single e-bike company that manufacturers every component in-house. It would be a momentous undertaking that companies with the scale of Tesla can perhaps accomplish, but the ceiling just isn’t high enough in the world of bikes. Since 98% of all e-bikes sold in the US source their bikes or components from China, this tariff is essentially a tax on the growing ultra efficient alternative transportation industry. Which is extremely sad to see at a time when much less efficient and more environmentally costly electric cars are available with a $7,500 tax credit

Last edited:
OP here. Very interesting discussion but it was my bad that I was on the Canadian site and didn't realize it. Sorry for that but glad for the spirited discussion. My wife and I are both in our 70's. Been cycling for 40+ years with hundreds of centuries, dozens of doubles, tons of touring and we soloed across the US in 2001. We are in our motorhome a lot and just thought these bikes might open up some new exploring for us. We travel all over the western US and there are just SO MANY great dirt roads to ride that we felt these bikes would allow us to ride both dirt roads and paved. We can only carry two bikes. Our traditional bikes are over 30 years old and we just wanted something new. One other thing. Both my wife and I busted our butts making a living and saving and I reserve the right to spend as much as I like on anything I like. I respect that you may not want to or have the means to. I repsect you just the same and hope to see you on the road, dirt or paved.
Ride SafeI
Bravo!!!! I respect a man who 1.) can admit a mistake and 2.) has planned well, knows what he wants and won't apologize to the envious who denigrate his choices.

We, like you, worked very hard for decades in our own business, serving others, treating our employees well, giving generously to worthy charities and building our nest egg. Now we get to enjoy the fruits of our labor, and buy the toys of our choosing. I find the compulsive need, to insult, ridicule or jab at those of us who want and can afford the best, by some people who made other choices to be tiring and tedious.

Last edited:
70 the next month for me, Stefan... and thank heaven, the time when I least feel old is out on the bikes. The Civante comes out of the basement tomorrow after a good long winter rest, and I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to it! The ToughRoad gets a few days off.

Dave Berry has stated here that the 70s are the best decade, and we all know Dave is never wrong. I’m looking forward to some good miles and good trips this year, for all of us.

70 the next month for me, Stefan... and thank heaven, the time when I least feel old is out on the bikes. The Civante comes out of the basement tomorrow after a good long winter rest, and I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to it! The ToughRoad gets a few days off.

Dave Berry has stated here that the 70s are the best decade, and we all know Dave is never wrong. I’m looking forward to some good miles and good trips this year, for all of us.
I turned 70 this past October. Today I'm riding the most recent addition to my quiver, a Topstone Neo Carbon 3...drop handlebars, 39 lbs, I feel like I am being profiled ;)

Back