Cannot believe the price increase

Stefan here is the whole specialized ebike line-up with prices from my favorite Riese & Muller dealer. They are down in LA

Interesting, Richard. I have compared the German and the American price of Creo SL Expert: 9,000 bucks at your dealer and, say, 10,155 dollar in Germany. It is by 12.8% more expensive in Germany, and that cannot be explained by VAT, which is (I think) 25% at our western neighbour.

Yet, there is another matter. You need to pay sales tax in the U.S. (how much is it in WA?) Europeans just pay the retail price.

Interesting, Richard. I have compared the German and the American price of Creo SL Expert: 9,000 bucks at your dealer and, say, 10,155 dollar in Germany. It is by 12.8% more expensive in Germany, and that cannot be explained by VAT, which is (I think) 25% at our western neighbour.

Yet, there is another matter. You need to pay sales tax in the U.S. (how much is it in WA?) Europeans just pay the retail price.
In Washington there is no income tax but there are high property taxes based on the value of your house and a 8.5% sales tax.

Meaning, e-bikes are still cheaper where you live compared to Europe (Polish price is a tad higher than the German one).

Honestly, I'm glad I don't seem to be able to buy a Vado SL this year...

One more thought.
In May 2020, I was interested in purchasing a Levo Comp. I can remember the price very well: PLN27000. Now, Levo Comp is PLN32700. 21% price increase!

Stefan here is the whole specialized ebike line-up with prices from my favorite Riese & Muller dealer. They are down in LA

FWIW the MSRP shown on my Como3 is unchanged. But finding one is a different story.

In Washington there is no income tax but there are high property taxes based on the value of your house and a 8.5% sales tax.
VAT in Germany on bikes is 19%.
So is it 9.000 + 8,5% sales tax = 9.765 compared to 10.155 in USD?
And 10.155 / 1,19 = 8.534 vs 9.000 before tax?

Last edited:
We know it's not just Specialized. It's not just ebikes either.
From Bloomberg so may be paywalled. Corporate purchasing agents and freight hauling firms agree.
I Think they call it inflation; few things ever get cheaper. With higher wages,( & free money), it´s
bound to surge. Everyone who was going broke in the panicdementia is out to make up losses
by gouging. Blame the media! Nothing fuels it more than trying times. I can´t stand to watch more
than a minute of news, but I´m addicted to checking 3 or 4 times a day. Itś a masochistic affliction.

Back