Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Cannondale offered this bar and stem as options on the TS Neo 2. Not much exposure it appears. I think the kiox can be mounted there also.
I believe those are intended for the analog Topstone. For the Neo's you have to have a compatable headset cap and room in the head tube which I don't believe there is.

Greetings! Just wanted to drop a note as I recently picked up my Topstone Neo Lefty. Picked it up about a month ago and absolutely love it. It's my second gravel bike. Lefty will now be dedicated to those offroad rides with my other gravel bike being permanently placed on the trainer.

After some mishaps at REI (first build came with a cracked freehub, second build was pretty bad with lots of loose bolts) it was put through about 100 miles of testing to determine first mods. It came out of the box pretty good but just needed a couple finishing touches. The Cannondale alloy bar was narrow and having carbon bars on both of my other bikes I knew I wanted a little more vibration damping. Was also really needing a dropper post. (And I hated that fizik Aliante saddle that came stock.)
View attachment 135006
View attachment 135007

• Upgrade list:
    • Kiox display
    • Saddle: Fizik Argo R1 Adaptive saddle
    • Handlebars: FSA K-wing AGX carbon
    • XT rotors
Found some Lezyne cages that pretty much matched the paint and with that I think it's now perfect. Have only around 200 miles total over the month but looking forward to many more!

Thanks for the above! I was considering doing an FSA branded 46T ring and XT 11-46 cassette. Good to know it's doable with the existing derailleur. QQ - did you need to change to a larger screw on the rear derailleur?
@El Wray - what are the specs on the dropper post that you purchased? I am currently shopping for one.

@El Wray - what are the specs on the dropper post that you purchased? I am currently shopping for one.
I picked up a Crank Brothers Highline/XC 60mm (27.2). The 60mm model was an open box and discounted about 40% under new one. It's a hair too short but I can live with it. (Frame size is small and I have stubby legs.) If I had to replace or go full price I would get a 80mm or 100mm as it gives a little more extension and post fit room to play with.

Adding the highline drop bar remote was worth it.

I picked up a Crank Brothers Highline/XC 60mm (27.2). The 60mm model was an open box and discounted about 40% under new one. It's a hair too short but I can live with it. (Frame size is small and I have stubby legs.) If I had to replace or go full price I would get a 80mm or 100mm as it gives a little more extension and post fit room to play with.

Adding the highline drop bar remote was worth it.
amazing, thanks for the quick response! I have my eye on a 100mm. I will update this thread once I have one bought and installed :cool:

For anyone that has done the Kiox upgrade... what are the advantages? Would you do it again? Can you update the drive unit firmware through the Kiox? From my research it's approx. $400 CDN to do the upgrade and I am not sure if it's worth it. Would appreciate your thoughts and comments!

[Purion]
Pros:
* Costs nothing since it comes with the bike
* Integrated display + control in single unit keeps things simple

Cons:
* Battery bars for level indication
* Display is crude

[Kiox]
Pros:
* Battery display as a %
* Can provide TBT GPS directions with paired phone
* Can function as a somewhat limited bike computer if you don't have a Garmin/wahoo/etc.
* Much better display
* Lots of ride data available in customizable screens
* EBike Connect hook grants access to more info, like your power input vs assistance
* User watts available on kiox screen (not exportable unfortunately)
* Automatic sync to Google fit, strava
* Gives the ability to upgrade firmware
* Ability to remove control unit/lock bike(license upgrade)

Cons:
* Display and controls are split, leading to two different cockpit mount points
* Sizeable cost

If money is tight an argument could be made against it. Otherwise more pros by going kiox. I would do the upgrade again if just for the battery percentage and color screen.

Last edited:
Like slickcl, I've considered replacing my Purion display. I figured if I was going to go through the extra cost of having the wiring replaced for the Kiox it would make sense to upgrade one display more to the Nyon. The downside, of course, is the extra cost of the display.
Instead, I ordered a top speed delimiter, and installed it myself. I've had it installed on my Lefty 3 for a year and a half and so far haven't had any issues with it.
Pros
-top speed limiter is set to 70kmh (30mph).
-has a motor lock-out feature.
-motor power output in each power level can be adjusted
-battery life shown in %.
-shows motor power output.

Cons
-not recommended to turn display off after ride until it completes its countdown. Turing it off before the countdown ends has caused issues for some riders.

Like slickcl, I've considered replacing my Purion display. I figured if I was going to go through the extra cost of having the wiring replaced for the Kiox it would make sense to upgrade one display more to the Nyon. The downside, of course, is the extra cost of the display.
Instead, I ordered a top speed delimiter, and installed it myself. I've had it installed on my Lefty 3 for a year and a half and so far haven't had any issues with it.
Pros
-top speed limiter is set to 70kmh (30mph).
-has a motor lock-out feature.
-motor power output in each power level can be adjusted
-battery life shown in %.
-shows motor power output.

Cons
-not recommended to turn display off after ride until it completes its countdown. Turing it off before the countdown ends has caused issues for some riders.
Thanks for the feedback everyone! So @Deacon Blues , no regrets of keeping the purion and going with the delimeter? Which one did you purchase? I am getting ready for bike season as I've recently bought some Topeak Defender fenders and am shopping for a dropper and considering replacing the purion! I've never actually considered going the delimiter route but I find myself riding over 32kph at least 50% of the time while out on the bike.

I ordered my de-restrictor from Epic ebikes in Australia. It's on the pricey side, but worth it to me.
With my Lefty the computer would stop powering the motor at 30.5kph (checked with wheel sensor speedo and GPS), which was really frustrating, as I often ride at or around that speed.
Now, when I want to, I can maintain 35-40kph with power.
Do you have a Lefty?

I ordered my de-restrictor from Epic ebikes in Australia. It's on the pricey side, but worth it to me.
With my Lefty the computer would stop powering the motor at 30.5kph (checked with wheel sensor speedo and GPS), which was really frustrating, as I often ride at or around that speed.
Now, when I want to, I can maintain 35-40kph with power.
Do you have a Lefty?
Yup! This is my current setup, running the WTB Venture and upgraded XT rotors.
20221023_123657.jpg

Here's my fender setup:

IMG_2691.jpeg

I have MB fenders front and back and I've added another lower fender in the rear for more protection while riding in the rain.
The front fender works okay, but not great. The problem is the way it mounts. The single shock is slightly forward, which makes it difficult to get the fender to mount securely.

@Deacon Blues, What did you use to secure the SKS on the front? Just the default? (I've seen some "Lefty" adapters posted online or advertised but can't find anything recent or a reputable vendor offering them.)

Thanks for sharing the photos @Deacon Blues! I am hoping to receive my fenders within the next week or so. Regarding the speed delimiter, what happens if you accidentally turn of the display and the chip gets detected? Is there a DIY way to reset the system or is the entire system bricked?

El Wray, just the default mount for the front. It works okay, but the fender moves around a bit while riding.

slickcl, I've read that if the display is turned off before the countdown has completed there is a possibility that an error code could appear. The error code can be corrected by riding the bike around for a while (don't know how this works), but on the 3rd or 4th time this happens the motor will not come back on, no matter what you do. It will have to be taken to an authorized Bosch dealer.
I never turn mine off. I leave it on and it automatically shuts off.

For anyone that has done the Kiox upgrade... what are the advantages? Would you do it again? Can you update the drive unit firmware through the Kiox? From my research it's approx. $400 CDN to do the upgrade and I am not sure if it's worth it. Would appreciate your thoughts and comments!
I have a different Cannondale but did the upgrade from Purion to Kiox - I posted about it in this thread.

It was 100% worth it to me and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Having the current time, current riding mode, light status, and battery percentage always visible at the top of the screen is dope. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I set up the Kiox to show 4 bits of data on the main screen while I'm riding – off the top of my head, it shows current speed, current trip distance, estimated remaining range, and cadence. I usually keep my iPhone in a pocket or pack while I'm riding, but the Kiox will also show its battery level on a different screen so I can keep an eye on it when I'm using the navigation feature. In theory, the Kiox could also charge my iPhone via the micro-USB port but I've never tried this.

I made the in-app purchase of the locking feature ($10 IIRC) and love the extra security that adds to disable the motor when the Kiox isn't on it. And I've imported GPX routes via the eBike Connect app and used the turn-by-turn directions paired with my iPhone and have found this feature to be super useful. I set it up to import my rides to Apple Health and like how this is automated without needing to manually record a ride as a work-out separately. I don't ride my bike for fitness but it's still nice to have this feature.

I don't know if the drive unit firmware can be updated through the Kiox – the only firmware update I've seen come through so far has been for the Kiox itself.

I was a little disappointed Cannondale didn't include the Kiox over the Purion given the price of the bike, but at least it was easily changed in the end.

Last edited:
Update for everyone :cool: I've recently installed the Brand-X 85mm dropper post with upgraded jagwire cable and some Topeak M1 and XC11 fenders. I won't be running these fenders full time, they are just there for Spring riding. Flat pedals are temporary as well as I did some cold weather rides in the Fall. I have not yet gone for a ride this Spring, still some snow here but hoping to go out in the next two weeks! Dropper post installation was a bit time consuming but really straight forward. As of yet, I have not pulled the trigger on the KIOX upgrade but I am still thinking about it. Next on the list is a Garmin Varia radar.... bike season is just around the corner!
20230319_161126.jpg

@El Wray What mount did you get for your Garmin Varia? Looks like it mounts to the seat rails. And, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you post a photo of the top view of your cockpit? I'm trying to see how you've mounted the Kiox/controller with your Garmin Edge as well. Thanks :cool:

@slickci. I'm glad you're enjoying your Lefty. I have 8,000km on mine and it's still going strong. I now have 5 bikes, so my Lefty doesn't get the kms that I'd like, but it's still one of my favourite rides.
i've done a lot of upgrades to mine and my favoute has to be the Ritche drop bar that I installed. For some reason the stock drop bar made my hands go numb after riding for more than 25km.
I swapped over to a flat bar, which I liked, but eventually I went back to a drop bar setup. For me, the Ritche bar is near perfect and my finger numbness has decrease substantially.
I also got rid of the stock tires after riding on them for only 3 or 4 months. I found them to be noisy and slow. I now have a pair of Specialized 2 bliss Pros (47mm) and couldn't be happier.
They don't have the stock tire's grip, but they are way, way faster on the pavement, which is where I do most of my riding.
Where do you live in Canada? I'm on Vancouver Island.

@slickci. I'm glad you're enjoying your Lefty. I have 8,000km on mine and it's still going strong. I now have 5 bikes, so my Lefty doesn't get the kms that I'd like, but it's still one of my favourite rides.
i've done a lot of upgrades to mine and my favoute has to be the Ritche drop bar that I installed. For some reason the stock drop bar made my hands go numb after riding for more than 25km.
I swapped over to a flat bar, which I liked, but eventually I went back to a drop bar setup. For me, the Ritche bar is near perfect and my finger numbness has decrease substantially.
I also got rid of the stock tires after riding on them for only 3 or 4 months. I found them to be noisy and slow. I now have a pair of Specialized 2 bliss Pros (47mm) and couldn't be happier.
They don't have the stock tire's grip, but they are way, way faster on the pavement, which is where I do most of my riding.
Where do you live in Canada? I'm on Vancouver Island.
I'm all the way out on the east coast in Moncton, New Brunswick! Vancouver Island is nice, I was there last July :cool: I know the feeling of having many bikes, I have 7 bikes LOL Two of them don't really count since they are vintage bikes that I can't justify getting rid of and never get any use! The Lefty is definitely the most fun to ride though but I can't help feel like it's cheating sometimes when I turn it up to Turbo. I've got a Topstone Carbon 5 in purple that is really my favorite of them all, but I have to say that it's nice having the e-bike in the fleet! Here's a picture of my favorite:
20230220_202105.jpg

Back