Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I have a Lefty 3, with 47mm semi-slick gravel tires, and can, when I want to, keep up with other riders doing 35+ kph.
My secret is the motor derestrictor I installed last July. ;)
I bought the derestrictor from a company in Australia.
Hahahah I love it!

Couple of questions for you :)

How adverse is the battery life thereafter? At say 35kmh + are you looking at the better part of maybe 20-30km in total range?
Also Lefty 3 would be 650B wheels right?

Out of interest Deacon did you install it yourself? And if so how easy/hard was it?

If I ride in eco mode I can go as far as 140km on a single charge (two rides). If I'm riding at 35kph, in Tour mode the battery depletes its charge at a MUCH faster rate.
In Tour mode, travelling at around 30 to 32kph I can easily do 70km.

Yes, I have 650B wheels, and I installed the derestrictor dongle myself. It was an easy job and the install video was very helpful.
The hardest part is tucking all the wires back up into place.

Wow!

Thanks for the insight Deacon really helpful in relation to the kph and range. Have a big decision on whether I go 30C and a new set of Rims (so hard to find specific rims for 700C due to the "Boost Sized" front) or just go pure derestrictor only!

I did 45km of mixed paved riding in one ride and then another of 25km and I only just saw myself click down to the 3rd bar at the end of the 25km. Totally amazing as I am coming from a Cube Stereo Hybrid Pro with the same motor and battery!

I may end up doing it myself and see how I go, my guess would be that you take off the bottom bracket cover/guard (which looks to be Cannondale specific), and you don't need any specific Bosch tools? (I remember seeing a crank remover thing specific to Bosch)?

Thanks again!

Hey everyone. Topstone Neo Carbon Lefty 3 owner here. I've got a Canadian version that I picked up lightly used this past summer and it's great! A completely different experience than riding my CAADX or non-ebike Topstone Carbon5.

Looking to see if anyone has been able to get the software updated on your ebike to get the Bosch eMTB (replaces Sport mode) or Bosch Tour+ mode (replaces Tour mode)? The Tour+ was released in July. It gives you power based on your pedal inputs and automatically adjusts from Eco to Turbo. The eMTB mode is the same idea but goes from Tour to Turbo automatically.

I brought the bike in to a dealer in September. They are only a Bosch service centre and not a Cannondale dealer. They put a new update but it didn't look like Tour+ was available. The techs didn't seem to comfortable with the Bosch software so I'm not sure if they missed anything. Here's a screenshot of the software that they loaded.

Let me know if you can help! Looking to get the best experience out of the bike.

Not sure what they've got in Canada, but here in the US every Topstone Neo Bosch bike is a speed motor. In Bosch you only get the eMTB mode on the Performance and Performance CX motor, the Performance Speed doesn't have that option, though the Topstone Neo's have the eGravel mode. I don't spend much time in "sport" but you can feel it back off the assist or increase it. The wording on the display doesn't change (regardless of what display you have) but you can feel the assist change in that particular mode.

I've been pretty please with the stock 35c tires setup tubeless, that said, I wouldn't go smaller than 32c as it's a heavy bike and you'll want a larger casing for rider comfort as well as flat resiliency.

Hi all, these bikes are pretty interesting, and seem to be the most versatile of the bunch between the Creos and Domanes. Can the Topstones be used as pseudo commuters with rail panniers etc? Can these also be used on natural trails? (no jumps obviously). And do any other similar bikes exist? Bulls has a Grinder EVO, but those look to be around 15 pounds heavier. And the Creos and the Domanes lack suspension.

Last edited:
With the Cannondale Topstone Neo line of bikes there are two reasons why a standard rear rack can't be used:
1. a rear rack can't be used with a carbon frame.
2. this bike has a limited rear suspension, so a solid mounted rear rack can't be used.

A friend of mine recently purchased a new Giant Revolt E+. This is an aluminum framed gravel bike with a Shimano motor that has similar power to the Bosch Gen 4 motor. It also comes with Di2 electric shifting, which (in my opinion) is FAR superior to the GRX shifters that come with the Topstone bikes.
The bike also weighs around the same weight as my Lefty 3.
The nice thing about an aluminum frame is he is able to add fenders and a rear rack.
I really like my Lefty 3, but if I had it to do again and the Revolt E+ was available I would have purchased the Revolt E+.

With the Cannondale Topstone Neo line of bikes there are two reasons why a standard rear rack can't be used:
2. this bike has a limited rear suspension, so a solid mounted rear rack can't be used.

A friend of mine recently purchased a new Giant Revolt E+. This is an aluminum framed gravel bike with a Shimano motor that has similar power to the Bosch Gen 4 motor. It also comes with Di2 electric shifting, which (in my opinion) is FAR superior to the GRX shifters that come with the Topstone bikes.
The nice thing about an aluminum frame is he is able to add fenders and a rear rack.
I really like my Lefty 3, but if I had it to do again and the Revolt E+ was available I would have purchased the Revolt E+.
Thanks! I just searched and found a thread on something similar here too: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/revolt-e-rack-fender-setup.34467/ Giant has some really unique bikes..

On yours, may I ask where you found your fenders and handlebars? Were there any other modifications of note that you made as well? Great job too as your ride looks so functional!

The front fender is a generic mountain bike fender that I bought off of Amazon. It doesn't fit properly because the single front shock is not parallel to the front steering tube, so the fender can't click into place perfectly straight. Works okay, though.
The rear fender is also a generic mountain bike fender. Because the fender allows a lot of water and mud to still hit the back of the seat tube I bought a used fender and cut/modified it to mount right behind the seat down tube. The two fenders together work great.

The handlebar is designed by Alee Denham, a world bike tourer. They're very hard to come by.

The front fender is a generic mountain bike fender that I bought off of Amazon. It doesn't fit properly because the single front shock is not parallel to the front steering tube, so the fender can't click into place perfectly straight. Works okay, though.
The rear fender is also a generic mountain bike fender. Because the fender allows a lot of water and mud to still hit the back of the seat tube I bought a used fender and cut/modified it to mount right behind the seat down tube. The two fenders together work great.

The handlebar is designed by Alee Denham, a world bike tourer. They're very hard to come by.
Ahh TY; Fantastic work!

You'd trade a full power Bosch Performance Speed motor for something Shimano powered? I think you'd be more happy with the Topstone Neo 5, it's the aluminum frame, carbon fork model. Can be fitted with rack and fenders, run 650b tires just fine. If you want more comfort you can pair it with a suspension seatpost and stem, still keeping it relatively light weight.

As far as Di2 being more superior, true it's super nice, but the mechanical GRX stuff is still incredibly good. If you want to go Di2 you can always upgrade shifters and derailleur, pretty straightforward.

You'd trade a full power Bosch Performance Speed motor for something Shimano powered? I think you'd be more happy with the Topstone Neo 5, it's the aluminum frame, carbon fork model. Can be fitted with rack and fenders, run 650b tires just fine. If you want more comfort you can pair it with a suspension seatpost and stem, still keeping it relatively light weight.

As far as Di2 being more superior, true it's super nice, but the mechanical GRX stuff is still incredibly good. If you want to go Di2 you can always upgrade shifters and derailleur, pretty straightforward.
Hi Brendon, any idea if Cannondale has official racks of the Neo 5? I couldnt locate anything on their website

Hey, Whiz, it would be good if you re-thought your actual needs. No e-bike can serve all possible purposes :) For instance, the Topstone is -- as I would say -- a gravel e-bike of dreams. You cannot have a commuter, a gravel e-bike and e-MTB in one. Ever considered buying as many as two less expensive e-bikes to cover all of your needs? (I used to own as many as 4 e-bikes, each performing a different role. The e-MTB was the most expensive of them...) :)

Hey, Whiz, it would be good if you re-thought your actual needs. No e-bike can serve all possible purposes :) For instance, the Topstone is -- as I would say -- a gravel e-bike of dreams. You cannot have a commuter, a gravel e-bike and e-MTB in one. Ever considered buying as many as two less expensive e-bikes to cover all of your needs? (I used to own as many as 4 e-bikes, each performing a different role. The e-MTB was the most expensive of them...) :)
Lol you are correct! I'm reassessing my commuter bike + eMTB/Trail biking purposes. I'm researching if a gravel bike can serve as a commuter+light trail bike with a separate full eMTB or if a gravel bike (such as the topstone) can serve as a full trail/XC bike (with some light downhill)+a separate commuter bike. I think a full, separate eMTB makes sense along with a good commuter, whichever that will be.

I haven't ridden my friend's gravel bike with the Shimano motor, but it has the same torque as my Bosch Gen 4 motor. Hopefully, we'll be able to switch bikes during a ride, so I can see how the two motors differ.
Maybe I was spoiled riding my Giant Defy carbon road bike, with Di2. When I test rode the Lefty I thought the shifting was crap. It didn't stop me from buying the bike, though, because I liked everything else about it.
I'm now using an Archer electronic shifter, which is an improvement.

Hi Brendon, any idea if Cannondale has official racks of the Neo 5? I couldnt locate anything on their website
Hey there! I haven't seen any Cannondale racks specific for the Neo 5, that said most universal racks fit the back end just fine. I used an Racktime rack with integrated lights that wired into the Bosch system. The fenders are SKS Chromoplastic models, the 65mm I believe? They clear the stock 700x36mm tires fine and even clear my summer 650b 1.9's too.

Hey there! I haven't seen any Cannondale racks specific for the Neo 5, that said most universal racks fit the back end just fine. I used an Racktime rack with integrated lights that wired into the Bosch system. The fenders are SKS Chromoplastic
Thanks for the ref point; their shine racks look really solid

Back