Cannondale Topstone Gravel Ebike

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Which Topstone Neo do you have? I've got the 5 and it has fittings to run a full rack, then you've got tons of options and can even go for the Racktime rack for e-bikes with integrated rear light too!
I have a Topstone Neo 2 Lefty. Awesome bike btw - so much fun!

I have a Topstone Neo 2 Lefty. Awesome bike btw - so much fun!
Are you sure. The Topstone Neo Carbon 1 (green color) & 3 (silver color) are lefties with 1x12 or 1x11 drive trains.

The Neo 2 is the Black Pearl one with the rigid carbon fork and the 2x11 drive train with 2 front chainrings.

Good call on the medium bag not fitting. My bike is an XL!

Are you sure. The Topstone Neo Carbon 1 (green color) & 3 (silver color) are lefties with 1x12 or 1x11 drive trains.

The Neo 2 is the Black Pearl one with the rigid carbon fork and the 2x11 drive train with 2 front chainrings.

Good call on the medium bag not fitting. My bike is an XL!
Apologies, typo -> must be Neo Lefty 3.

Hi All! I’m new to the forum and I’ve just put a deposit down on a topstone neo carbon lefty 3. I’ll be picking it up in a week or so. I will use the bike for weekend rides, but it will also serve some commuting duties too. With that in mind, I’m considering the best way to transport gear. I’ve been using a bike with a rack up until now and that’s been super useful. I’ve read that a tailfin rack may be an option on the lefty 3, but Im wondering if anyone in here has experience with that system and who may offer some advice as to the particular mounting option that you chose. If anyone has any other ideas for a rack system that may work, I’d welcome that advice too. Essentially it is just a small amount of clothing and a laptop each way that Im looking to carry. I could use a backpack, but the rack is just a comfortable way to commute, especially here in summer temperatures. In advance, thank you!! I’m also keen to hear about any upgrades that you’ve made to your own bikes that you feel have made a difference and were good value for you. Cheers!!

I just purchased a Randonneur Seat Post Rack and Tailrider bike bag from Arkel https://www.arkel-od.com/rear-bags/

I can't tell you if I like it or not, because I won't get it until the 8th. I have another style of Arkel seatpost bag on my carbon road bike and I'm very happy with it.
Not sure about carrying a laptop commuter, though.

Last edited:
I just purchased an Randonneur Seat Post Rack and Tailrider bike bag. from Arkel https://www.arkel-od.com/rear-bags/

I can't tell you if I like it or not, because I won't get it until the 8th. I have another style of Arkel seatpost bag on my carbon road bike and I'm very happy with it.
Not sure about carrying a laptop commuter, though.
Interesting option that rack. Might work well for the topstone given the kingpin suspension and lack of mounting points. I’d love to know how it works out for you! The laptop is definitely an issue for me. that’s where the tailfin‘s extra stability might help a bit. It’ll hit my hip pocket though!!

The topeak beam track and DRX bag work great on my Topstone Neo Carbon 3. I put a 27.2 to 30.8 seatpost shim on my carbon seatpost to protect it from being crushed by the clamp on the beamtrack.

The bag goes on comes of quick and easy and the drop down panniers on each side really boost the carrying volume. The bag is available in bigger and smaller sizes. Very nicely organized and well thought out system. Durable construction and a good raincover to keep it all dry inside.

The topeak beam track and DRX bag work great on my Topstone Neo Carbon 3. I put a 27.2 to 30.8 seatpost shim on my carbon seatpost to protect it from being crushed by the clamp on the beamtrack.

The bag goes on comes of quick and easy and the drop down panniers on each side really boost the carrying volume. The bag is available in bigger and smaller sizes. Very nicely organized and well thought out system. Durable construction and a good raincover to keep it all dry inside.

I have something similar on my Lefty now. I used a piece of rubber to compensate for the difference in the rack's clamp diameter and my seat post diameter-something that I was never happy with, because the rack would move around a bit on trails. Using a seat post shim is a much better solution.

Thanks Alaskan. How have you felt the "sway" of the beam rack if you have it fully loaded? I work as a teacher, so the most it would need to carry is some books, papers to mark, some clothing and a laptop...

I probably nave not had more than 12 pounds of tools and groceries in my bag, With the aluminum shim covering the seatpost, I can clamp it the beam rack down quite securely such that it does not swing or sway. Just a little bit of abrasive carbon mounting compound would surely eliminate any movement.

Richard, did you replace your seat post with a carbon one? The reason I ask is the Canadian Lefty 3 specs show an aluminum seat post (Promax SP-2032, Alloy, 27.2)
What sold me on the Arkel rack/bag I've purchased is it mounts to the seat rails and the seat post.

Richard, did you replace your seat post with a carbon one? The reason I ask is the Canadian Lefty 3 specs show an aluminum seat post (Promax SP-2032, Alloy, 27.2)
What sold me on the Arkel rack/bag I've purchased is it mounts to the seat rails and the seat post.

I imagine to shed some weight and add some compliance, that's why I swapped to a carbon post on mine.

Mine did come with a carbon fiber seat post. I see where they speck it now with an alloy seatpost. I put a Kinekt body float on my bike with their carbon seat post.

Mine did come with a carbon fiber seat post. I see where they speck it now with an alloy seatpost. I put a Kinekt body float on my bike with their carbon seat post.
Sounds like a good upgrade Alaskan. I'd certainly consider doing something similar too... Do you feel the Kinekt made a considerable difference over the existing kingpin and lefty set up? I have some minor back irritation that flares up sometimes, so I imagine something like your setup would be very comfortable!

My observation is that the kinkpin rear suspension functions reasonably well when you hit a pothole, a larger stick, basically deals with major impacts. The kinekt, deals with higher frequency vibrations and is more responsive to smaller stones, twigs and minor imperfections in the road or trail. They compliment each other quite well, coming closer to a true suspension than either one can do on their own. I also find that thicker bar tape with gel padding in key hand hold zones can help quite a bit with the hands as the 30mm suspension on the left is pretty stiff as well. Just an old guy trying to be comfortable while having too much fun ;)

I find the same with front suspension. The single shock does a decent job for large hits, but is too stiff to filter out the vibrates from gravel roads/trails.
When I installed a suspension stem I noticed the difference right away.

My observation is that the kinkpin rear suspension functions reasonably well when you hit a pothole, a larger stick, basically deals with major impacts. The kinekt, deals with higher frequency vibrations and is more responsive to smaller stones, twigs and minor imperfections in the road or trail. They compliment each other quite well, coming closer to a true suspension than either one can do on their own. I also find that thicker bar tape with gel padding in key hand hold zones can help quite a bit with the hands as the 30mm suspension on the left is pretty stiff as well. Just an old guy trying to be comfortable while having too much fun ;)
Excellent setup then! Even the not so old like to be comfortable my friend!

For my situation, I've not ridden much over the past 15 years, but rode a lot as a youngster through my childhood, teenage years and into university. I raced mountain bikes a little bit and completed a few small triathlons as a youngster for some fun. I've not ridden drop bars for quite a long time, so that will be a change for me with this bike. Last year I had some health advice which basically said I needed to fix up my diet and get up and moving more. So, I've rented an R & M Charger 3 since late last year to see if I could make cycling work for exercise. I've been completing 3 quite good rides per week, some of which have been commuting to and from work. The R&M bike has been excellent, but I am looking forward to the much lighter Topstone.

Deacon Blues - which suspension stem did you install on yours?

Thanks a heap for the advice. Being able to communicate with people who own the bike is incredibly helpful!

Cheers!

Hi All! I’m new to the forum and I’ve just put a deposit down on a topstone neo carbon lefty 3. I’ll be picking it up in a week or so. I will use the bike for weekend rides, but it will also serve some commuting duties too. With that in mind, I’m considering the best way to transport gear. I’ve been using a bike with a rack up until now and that’s been super useful. I’ve read that a tailfin rack may be an option on the lefty 3, but Im wondering if anyone in here has experience with that system and who may offer some advice as to the particular mounting option that you chose. If anyone has any other ideas for a rack system that may work, I’d welcome that advice too. Essentially it is just a small amount of clothing and a laptop each way that Im looking to carry. I could use a backpack, but the rack is just a comfortable way to commute, especially here in summer temperatures. In advance, thank you!! I’m also keen to hear about any upgrades that you’ve made to your own bikes that you feel have made a difference and were good value for you. Cheers!!

I don't use a rack but use a bag on the handlebars instead which works well for me. The bag I went with was the Zeitgeist Pack from Swift Industries and you can either mount it on the handlebars or on your saddle. I find it provides more than enough room. In fact I can even fit an extra battery in it. It's a bit pricey but it works well and is very stable and does not move at all when riding

010322796_iOS.jpg010544439_iOS.jpg143851025_iOS.jpg

I do use a rack on my other ebike, the Cannondale Quick Neo and use the Topeak TetraRack. My Topstone I use for long rides mainly on weekends, but the Quick Neo I use to go to stores and sometimes to work so a rack is more useful for this bike.

143953334_iOS.jpg

GainGRX, are those wheels carbon? I really like my Yoeleo carbon 650b, which also have DT Swiss hubs.

ADtD8gT.jpg

Vossy, it's a Redshift suspension stem.

Back