Can you count on the Electric Bike Manufacturer being there?

RCG

When purchasing a new electric bike, it seems that the number of years that the company has been in business is not fully appreciated. I'm as excited as the next person when you see the next cool project by Indiegogo or others but I don't think people appreciate how many companies go out of business. If you have to wait six months for your bike, after a number of broken promises, just think how long a spare part will take you. Or what are the ramifications of the company going completely under?

The weighting of each category is as important as the consideration themselves. Quality, Cost, Comfort, Components, Style, Manufacturer, Bike Shop (Web Purchase), Assembly Required, Warranty and Ease of Doing Business.

I will tell you in three years how I did...
going-out-of-business-1.jpg

With so many entrepreneurs currently offering up eBikes, it sort of makes buying one similar to investing in the stock market: only invest what you can afford to lose. If you can't turn a blind eye to getting burned, then stay with the well known established brands and let somebody else play the risks.

Regarding the sign, you'd be lucky to have any advanced notice.

This explosion of new companies producing ebikes is wonderful, but as with any other industry that has gone through rapid growth, there will surely be many failures to go with some spectacular successes. After worrying about this for a couple years before buying my ebike I got a Trek. I hope some of the new companies will make better and more innovative products, but I did this as a safe choice. My ebike, XM700+, has a Bosch motor and battery that together weight about 15 pounds. The bike weighs nearly to 50 pounds. My old bike is a Trek Madone weighed 16 pounds. I appreciate that ebikes put more stress on the frame, tires, and some accessories, but 15 + 16 = 31 and this is lot less than 50. I hope that future development will produce strong, but lighter ebikes.

Having owned one of the early e-bikes out there, actually from Lee Iacocca's E-bike company in the 1990's, I learned early on not to count on the company being there for the long haul. It was a fun bike, for it's time, and I got a lot of miles out of it. Now, though, the market is so different, with the biggest bike chain in the states, Trek, on one side, and self-starters like Rad on the other, all providing compelling products, with vastly different price points, it is a bit overwhelming. I'm actually trying to decide what my next electric bike will be, and, man, has it been difficult to chose!

New companies are constantly over promising and under delivering. I see this happen most frequently in regards to service and technical problems. New companies nowadays are great at advertising and marketing to generate sales, though more often than not they are not very responsive when it comes to helping fix problems when they arise.

E-bike technology is moving at a super fast pace and I love seeing so many new e-bikes hitting the market that are budget friendly, though many start-ups and smaller companies go out of business with no warning. This leaves the consumer lost when it's time to have their respective e-bike serviced or have a part replaced under warranty.

When investing in an e-bike, I always recommend purchasing a bike that is super reliable and will provide the most freedom from concern. Also, purchasing a product that is backed by a well respected company that has been around for years is generally key to having a long and happy relationship with your e-bike or any electronic for that matter.

...When investing in an e-bike, I always recommend purchasing a bike that is super reliable and will provide the most freedom from concern. Also, purchasing a product that is backed by a well respected company that has been around for years is generally key to having a long and happy relationship with your e-bike or any electronic for that matter...

And finding manufacturers that focus on building a strong dealer network. Having an LBS that is strong on the back-end (service) side is invaluable.

New companies are constantly over promising and under delivering. I see this happen most frequently in regards to service and technical problems. New companies nowadays are great at advertising and marketing to generate sales, though more often than not they are not very responsive when it comes to helping fix problems when they arise.

E-bike technology is moving at a super fast pace and I love seeing so many new e-bikes hitting the market that are budget friendly, though many start-ups and smaller companies go out of business with no warning. This leaves the consumer lost when it's time to have their respective e-bike serviced or have a part replaced under warranty.

When investing in an e-bike, I always recommend purchasing a bike that is super reliable and will provide the most freedom from concern. Also, purchasing a product that is backed by a well respected company that has been around for years is generally key to having a long and happy relationship with your e-bike or any electronic for that matter.

I agree with "Leandro"... I've told this story before, but it's worth repeating.

Last fall I purchased a Trek Powerfly7. The bike arrived at my dealer with the Bosch Intuvia Controller damaged
in transit. My dealer contacted Trek. Bosch distributes their parts direct from their Distributor and the Controller was back
ordered 2-3 weeks on the controller....What to do ?

Since Trek could not control the 2-3 week back order they immediately shipped a second Powerfly7 from Wisconsin to my
LBS in CT and in four days I was riding.... The original Powerfly7 was returned to Trek on their dime...Another Trek story.

I have a Trek XM 700+. The chain would jump the crank. Putting the chain back on is (was) very difficult because of the
design chain guard. My LBS Owner and his Tech Mgr figured out a fix using a setup identical to the Powerfly7 Chain/Crank.
My LBS called Trek, discussed their fix, Trek agreed and sent $50 worth of parts, no charge so my shop could do their fix.
I have no not had a problem since. Quality service 'nuff said : )

P.S. Trek offers a 2 year comprehensive warrantee on their e-bikes, including battery and motor.

John from CT

Last edited:
...what are the ramifications of the company going completely under?

The weighting of each category is as important as the consideration themselves. Quality, Cost, Comfort, Components, Style, Manufacturer, Bike Shop (Web Purchase), Assembly Required, Warranty and Ease of Doing Business.
This is not much different from other rapidly developing industries.

Quality - stay with known brands or established sellers that offer easy returns. Ideally, brick and mortar store.

Cost - whatever you can afford, keeping in mind that industry is developing and motors and batteries DO fail, no matter what brand. Again, your investment is better protected when dealing with established seller.

Comfort - you don't know until you try. Has little to do with company longevity.

Components - go generic if company is new or you don't feel financially secure. Get battery and motor that can be easily found after-market.

Style - not quite relevant to the topic, this has little to do with company longevity.

Bike shop - see above.

Assembly required - not quite relevant, IMO. Very little assembling, usually. Unless you buy a kit, which is a different story.

Warranty - except for a battery and occasional quirks with chain (is there any bike that doesn't drop chain?), - the rest is a matter of tear and wear. You're on your own past-warranty anyway. With newly established company or unknown seller China-direct, do you really expect a reliable service? (the latter was not a question)

Ease of doing business - ??? too broad topic. Same tips as mentioned above - go generic for ease of post-warranty parts and service, and find LBS that deals with ebikes.

Last edited:
I agree with "Leandro"... I've told this story before, but it's worth repeating.

Last fall I purchased a Trek Powerfly7. The bike arrived at my dealer with the Bosch Intuvia Controller damaged
in transit. My dealer contacted Trek. Bosch distributes their parts direct from their Distributor and the Controller was back
ordered 2-3 weeks on the controller....What to do ?

Since Trek could not control the 2-3 week back order they immediately shipped a second Powerfly7 from Wisconsin to my
LBS in CT and in four days I was riding.... The original Powerfly7 was returned to Trek on their dime...Another Trek story.

I have a Trek XM 700+. The chain would jump the crank. Putting the chain back on is (was) very difficult because of the
design chain guard. My LBS Owner and his Tech Mgr figured out a fix using a setup identical to the Powerfly7 Chain/Crank.
My LBS called Trek, discussed their fix, Trek agreed and sent $50 worth of parts, no charge so my shop could do their fix.
I have no not had a problem since. Quality service 'nuff said : )

P.S. Trek offers a 2 year comprehensive warrantee on their e-bikes, including battery and motor.

John from CT

Love the Trek story. I have owned this brand for many years and one of the non-electrics I have was built in Waterloo Wisc. Quality built and if you do the minimum maintenance, they will last and last from my own personal experience. Any issues I had, sent corporate a message, and they were prompt with an answer and solution. I concur with your statement concerning great C/S.

Back