Can I full throttle the UC Titanium from a stop in high gear?

dmark

What will be the consequences?
I have done this on my Biktrix Ultra with no immediate consequences.
Thanks.

You can do that. On the new controller the throttle amps are tuned down so they dont affect the drive train (belt and rohloff) adversely.

You can do that. On the new controller the throttle amps are tuned down so they dont affect the drive train (belt and rohloff) adversely.

I'd talk to Pushkar first as I think that's a big NO. 4th or 5th gear ok... Kindernay can take a bit more... but not a whole lot.

What will be the consequences?
I have done this on my Biktrix Ultra with no immediate consequences.
Thanks.
I think "immediate" is the key word. I was a farm boy. I was taught early on not to lug down engines for longevity of the engine and drivetrain. From tractors, combines, to our trucks. I continue that practice on every piece of machinery I own. From my table saw to my eBikes.

If you are using a throttle, please gear down. Regardless of IGH or cassette, having correct gear is essential for better longevity. (as @onlineaddy mentioned).

The throttle amps by themselves wont protect the drive train - it has to work with the right gear too. In our testing, use the throttle only up to gear 7 on the rohloff / kidnernay.

But is there a readout on the Watt Wagon to tell you what gear you are actually in so you don't do it by accident ?

If you are using a throttle, please gear down. Regardless of IGH or cassette, having correct gear is essential for better longevity. (as @onlineaddy mentioned).

The throttle amps by themselves wont protect the drive train - it has to work with the right gear too. In our testing, use the throttle only up to gear 7 on the rohloff / kidnernay.
With my Biktrix Ultra, I have made an unanticipated stop without a chance to gear down first. The Biktrix has a chain and cogs, so you can't really gear down at a standstill; I have to be moving and pedalling to change gears.

I am not familiar with rohloff / kidnernay. Is it possible to gear down at a standstill? Will I immediately damage the rohloff / kidnernay if I go full throttle at high gear from a standstill?

Last edited:
But is there a readout on the Watt Wagon to tell you what gear you are actually in so you don't do it by accident ?
Rohloff has a gear display on the shifter.

kindernay doesn’t, but is easier IMO. My “best” practice is to shift down two times (3 gears per shift x 2clicks=6 gears) after you stop. So let’s say you are in top gear (14), minus 2 full clicks = gear 8). That is within range of getting started with throttle.

With my Biktrix Ultra, I have made an unanticipated stop without a chance to gear down first. The Biktrix has a chain and cogs, so you can't really gear down at a standstill; I have to be moving and pedalling to change gears.

I am not familiar with rohloff / kidnernay. Is it possible to gear down at a standstill? Will I immediately damage the rohloff / kidnernay if I go full throttle at high gear from a standstill?
Yes you shift a hub at standstill. :) I have lived though the pain of a cassette, and being lazy, I discovered the magical world of gear hubs. They have their limits of course but IMO the usability is quite high.

Rohloff has a gear display on the shifter.

kindernay doesn’t, but is easier IMO. My “best” practice is to shift down two times (3 gears per shift x 2clicks=6 gears) after you stop. So let’s say you are in top gear (14), minus 2 full clicks = gear 8). That is within range of getting started with throttle.
Kindernay doesn't display what gear you're in?

Back